Your first computer & mobile phone?

We have spent part of the last two weeks working out new laptops, servers and mobile phones for the office. It got me to thinking to the first mobile phones and computer I used for business. 

It was my first banking days (1986)  and I was a fully functional road warrior with my IBM laptop and NEC brick :D

I was ready for anything :spotlight:

Ibm-convertible.jpg

nec_11a.jpg

Combined cost was near $10,000 AUD. 

What was your first Computer and mobile? If you have a picture of you and a brick ...priceless!

• Like 1

I am not quite elderly enough to have had a brick ... had to make do with the Nokia 5110.  Damn, that was a good phone.  Its battery life was phenomenal -- way better than any of today's magic machines.  

As for computers, I made do with an Amstrad -- Britain's answer to IBM. 64KB of RAM -- and a built-in 3" floppy disk drive! 

I can one up the Commodore 64 users, we had the Vic-20: 

shatner-vic-201.jpg

The first computer I used for any kind of serious work was a laptop that I was required to purchase in architecture school, circa 1996.  It was a Gateway 2000, probably looked fairly similar to today's laptops...main difference is that on the inside it had a 540 meg hard drive, 16 megs of RAM and it was $4,000 :tantrum:

I resisted cell phones for quite awhile but broke into the scene in the year 2000 with the very manly Nokia 8210, made famous in the Charlie's Angels movie.  The thing was so damn small I lost it within the year.

Nokia-8210-phone.jpg

First Lap Top I ever "owned" was an Apple EMate 300.

applenewton_emate300.jpg

Black and white screen, stylis interface and a handy in built carry handle. I was 12 at the time and thought it was something out of Star Trek

First Mobile Phone was a Nokia 5110 when I started high school (15yo)

nokia_5110-500x500.gif

Tough as a Coffin Nail and a battery life that would put even modern basic mobiles to shame

Thinking about this topic has gotten my nostalgia bone all tingly. How I miss old mobiles. I had a number of them over the years.
There are days I'd gladly switch back to an older style Nokia if I knew it would work on current mobile networks.
As an aside, the Nokia 8910i is, to this day, still the best phone I ever owned.

412AAG8305L.jpg

Good Battery life, rugged and stylish (titanium case), early version of blue tooth, color screen and even WAP (early version of mobile internet)

Man I miss that phone

Another Commodore 64 owner here! Managed to get my parents to spring for an upgraded aftermarket casing (much more slimline than the original) and a faster disk drive. Loved programming on that machine. Wrote my own "Lightcycles" game after reading about others doing it in the Commodore magazines.

I did have a Hanimex and Intellivision gaming console before.

hanimex_sd070c_box.jpg

intellivision-console-pic.jpg

My first mobile was an Oki. Also had the extra long antenna and huge battery extender.

IMG_20120506_144126.jpg

WOW great question:

Ok, mine were the following...

Home Game console(s) PONG and Atari 2600 - I still have both!

radioshacktvscoreboard.jpgAtari2600.jpg

First Home PC was a Commodore 64 followed by an Amiga 500

692px-Leander_Amiga500.preview.jpg

First mobile phone was an NEC P100 - I was so happy when I grabbed this, chest puffed out thinking I was the greatest LOL!! 

16413480_3968729.jpg

I was a late comer to get my own cell phone.  My first was a Sprint A460 by Samsung

200px-Samsung_SPH-A460.JPG

I don't really consider the Atari 2600 a computer and my sister won a TI-99 that I got to occassionally play with, but the first computer we had in our family and I played with forever was an Apple IIe

Apple_iie.jpg

Ha!  Good topic.  My first computer was hardly mobile, a Tandy RadioShack TRS 80 (affectionately referred to as the "Trash 80).  A slug of a machine but I learned VisiCalc on it, and had a standalone 10MB hard drive (that is was recommended you never turn off).

After that, my first mobile phone was a Motorola flip phone, a classic!

Eventually, the TRS 80 gave way to an IBM XT, and then a 'cutting edge' Compaq 286 AT for Biz School:

TRS80.tiff

Motorola Flip.tiff

Compaq 286AT.tiff

I still remember most of my early computers I owned; IBM XT (no hdd), 286 AT (with a whopping 20mb hdd!), 386SX, 386DX, 486DX2-66, Pentium III, then I lose track after that.

Mobiles were; Oki, Motorola MicroTAC II, Ericsson GH337, Ericsson GH388, Nokia 3310, Nokia 8850, Motorola Razr, HTC Touch Dual, HTC Desire, Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy S7.

This is awesome... our first computers were a vic20 we borrowed for a few weeks, then a commodore 64 then 128 then an Amiga 500 and finally we got big time and went w a PC-Clone....   Man the Amiga was awesome for gaming back then.   We'd go over to a guys house and just copy games all night....

First phone...  Bag phone, then StarTac

Sinclair ZX spectrum 128k shared with my brother when i was about 7. Nokia 3210 when I was 18. ? Ah, nostalgia. 

My first mobile phone was an NEC attached to the floor of my company car and I remember people being in awe of the fact that I had a phone in my car. The Motorola slim flip phone was my first non-tethered mobile phone. My first computer was an HP something or other with a giant CRT and a 14.4 dial-up modem that made viewing pics an all-day affair.