Your first computer & mobile phone?

• 3 years later...

Technically, our first household computer was an Amiga 1200.

Our Dad had visions of my brother and I doing homework on it, but we of course wanted and used it exclusively for Monkey Island and other such games.

As I have mentioned in another thread, my first phone was bought last December. It's a Cubot J5 and cost less than £80 with the SIM and next day delivery.

My first computer was the Australian made Microbee in 1982, which I learned to program on.
1744642852_microbee32(1).jpg.f1198ade4cc83ee5bccef46c010c9e1d.jpg

I have two Microbees today. I have the same model as my first machine above, but not the same machine unfortunately. It is fully restored and working in great condition with its original amber monochrome monitor. These early model Bees are as rare as rocking horse poo in working order today. This machine is now 38 years old!

I also have the Premium+ version which was released back in 2012. This was released as a limited addition kit. It was made available because a small stock of the original 1985 Premium models motherboards and cases were still in storage. These were disk based rather than ROM/cassette based like the 32. I have #97/105. The motherboard was unpopulated, so I had to build this one myself from scratch. Running CP/M v3 here in colour, on a working original Commodore 1084S RGB monitor. The floppy disk is being emulated on an SD card. Both machines are in fully working order.
IMG_0076.jpeg.5613684d7404cacaa53ed96c5d880be8.jpeg

My second machine from the late eighties was in fact a Microbee Premium model with dual 5 1/4" floppies. Following that was an Amiga 2000, then an Amiga 500. At the same time at work in the 90's I was programming on  Burroughs/Unisys B25 through to B38/39 machines and the later SG workstations and servers, which ran CTOS. I owned one of those for a while, whilst also moving over to PC's, starting with a 286.

My first mobile phone was the venerable Nokia 5110.
Nokia5110.jpg.d91323c13879d08ed4afc1c4597db945.jpg

• Like 1

My first try was an E-Machine that malfunctioned my first at-home try (well - it was used). So I replaced it with a Hewlett-Packard 425 MGH speed desktop tower that I bought in 1998. My first mobile phone was provided by my sister so I could have that with me on the road, some time in 2007(?).

late '80s bag phone

image.png.6632200ef08e4cd3a91ba757b3bc979f.png

image.png.fbee5c009dfbe219e2fd8cd5e77b8147.png     My first "laptop" Zenith Z-171 - still have it. I have quite a few older phones and computers. 

I can’t remember my first phone (some sort of large Nokia) but I do remember that my first computer was a Tandy 1000 from Radio Shack! I believe it had a 286 processor - cutting edge for that year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/11/2016 at 10:25 AM, Fuzz said:

Another Commodore 64 owner here! Managed to get my parents to spring for an upgraded aftermarket casing (much more slimline than the original) and a faster disk drive. Loved programming on that machine. Wrote my own "Lightcycles" game after reading about others doing it in the Commodore magazines.

I did have a Hanimex and Intellivision gaming console before.

intellivision-console-pic.jpg

I think i still have the intellivision somewhere. 

I had also the first IBM XT computers when they first came out. 

First mobile phone was a Nokia 5110

• Like 1

Dad had an early Apple, but the first that was "for me" was a C64.  First "real" one was a 386 (DX!) that we built.  Maybe '85.  I want to say we had a 286 before that, but I don't remember.

First cell phone was 1997/98'ish.  I was commuting from NH to NY weekly, and had in case there was a problem on the way.  certainly too expensive to actually call someone on it for no good reason lol.

My first computer was probably a 386SX I put together from spare parts at the consulting firm I worked out.  It may have had a full 8MB of RAM back then! First cell?  Probably some kind of Motorola non-flip phone (late 90's).  It was an upgrade from the Motorola pager we consultants had to carry.  :)

• Like 1

Anybody remember using these?  I programmed in Fortran using punch cards in high school.  Programmed in Pascal using punch cards my first year in college; final exam was 3 boxes of cards!  First home computer (like so many others here) was C64 but I upgraded quickly to Apple IIe.  First (and probably most reliable) cell phone was a Nokia that wasn't a flip phone but had a hinged keypad cover.

Punch card computing - technikum29 A flowchart stencil. With explanation of elements by IBM, ca. 1980 ...

My first PC was an Epson 8088. I waited for my wife to go out of town and went shopping with a friend that loved to spend my money. I can still hear the sound of that dot matrix printer. It used 5 1/4 floppies. Lotus 123, Word Perfect and DOS.  I added a modem later on the you planted the handset in.

Cell phone, I was pretty early, 80's . It was mounted in my car, big handset with the curly cord mounted between the seats, hardware in the truck, curly antennae on the back window. It was $1.00 a minute for service, and the phone was $2000. My first bill was $1,000.00 just for service. That was big money then. My first 8 or 10 calls were all the same: "Guess where I am"?!.

I did make the mobile and computer pay. I was in sales and these tools put me on the cutting edge, and started my climb up the career ladder. I always tried to stay one step ahead of everyone.

• Like 1

Used an MS DOS computer of some kind in the late 70’s when I was la kid. First one I bought was a 386.
Had an Brick cell phone in the late 80’s then a car phone with a 3 watt booster in the trunk, I think it was Audio Vox. Then the flip phone which I used variations of for a few years.

10 hours ago, Chibearsv said:

Anybody remember using these?  I programmed in Fortran using punch cards in high school.  Programmed in Pascal using punch cards my first year in college; final exam was 3 boxes of cards!  First home computer (like so many others here) was C64 but I upgraded quickly to Apple IIe.  First (and probably most reliable) cell phone was a Nokia that wasn't a flip phone but had a hinged keypad cover.

Punch card computing - technikum29 A flowchart stencil. With explanation of elements by IBM, ca. 1980 ...

i think our foremost bank in Australia had one of these when they cleared out their old data centre (one of my first IT projects).

It was so old, no one knew what it was doing still there or what it was used for. 

The thing weight a ton and was built to withstand a bomb. 

• Haha 1

My first computer belonged to the entire extended family, but was primarily purchased for 2 of my uncles to learn basic programming. It was an apple 2e...
First mobile phone I was privileged to use, was my mom's hand-me-down Nokia 6130. First one I bought for myself was a later model motorola star-tac - the deluxe model with the Indiglo TM backlit screen, and TEXT MESSAGING.

I remember my first computer very well. It was a Sinclair XX spectrum. Wanted it soooo bad and had mothered my parents into getting me one for Xmas. Made all the usual promises about it being a good educational tool etc when in reality I wanted to play games on it.
So, beginning of December comes around and my mum asks me to put something away in their wardrobe. Being a good son and looking to earn brownie points I do as she asks. Lo, what did I see when putting the stuff away ... the Spectrum !! Not very well hidden. With still 20 odd days to go before Christmas Day the wait before I can play it feels so long. Eventually I crack, and started getting the thing out to look at it when my prenatal were out the house. This then soon becomes playing it whilst they are out and then putting it away before they come home. Bear in mind this is before the days of all electrical goods being sold with a power cord that had a permanent plug on them, no, you had to fit a plug before use ! So there I was wiring a plug to this computer everyday my prenatal were out at work playing with my Xmas present and then taking the plug off before they returned home. Went on almost up til Xmas day itself. On the day I opened the present, gave an Oscar winning performance in terms of my surprise at getting such a great gift.
Fast forward 35 odd years and I have just told my mum about this having read this post. Despite the fact I am nearly 50 she has just told me off !!

Ugliest computer ever. Spent all my time on AIM on it with tragically lame screen names. 

being a teenager, of course my Nokia was modded to hell and back. Soldered in new led lights and black out cases, custom ring tones. The crap you do when you’re a kid. 

Some serious dinosaurs on this thread though. I can’t believe how old some of the tech is in this thread. 

F366AB25-83CE-45F0-B669-3BD7826F6AD0.jpeg

514B57A3-DA52-4048-8FF2-226423D70E80.jpeg