How many still smoke NCs

I'm not the first to say this but I've found it to be true.  "I smoke 1% non-Cuban cigars to remind myself why I prefer Cuban cigars."

I find I enjoy the balance and evolution of Cuban tobacco.  Personally speaking, Non-Cubans taste really harsh and one-dimensional.  And then there are the monstrous ring gauges.  Save the occasional Tatuaje, Illusione, Tabaquero, etc. non-Cubans are reserved for guests who ask for a cigar but I know are going to take 10 puffs and then put it down.  

And it's cheaper for me to buy Cuban cigars.  The tobacco tax is all over the place depending on what US state my purchase is subject to.  I spent $27 on an Opus X Double Corona this Sunday at a lounge.  The whole time I'm smoking it I kept thinking about the $ vs value.  Now don't get me wrong, it was a good cigar but instead of enjoying it completely, I'm thinking about what ELSE I could be smoking for $27.  

Of course, and this is just my opinion, non-Cuban cigars (as a whole) are of better construction than Cuban cigars as a whole.  This point was debated to death this Saturday at the lounge as I smoked my Opus X and the guy next to me was trying to draw on a Bolivar Petit Corona.  He looked looked like he was trying to suck a golf ball through a garden hose.  Many in the lounge differed in my opinion but ask I offered this choice to clarify my point:  If your life were to depend on your selection of ONE cigar that was not going to be plugged or have draw problems, are you gonna reach for a Padron 2000 or a Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 2.  

Thankfully, I don't have to make that kind as I smoke this Juan Lopez.  

• Like 3

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh man!  I wish i had the cigars to send to many of you. I'm certain i could rock some worlds Age and give the same attention to good NC's as one would to his/her CC's and one will be pleasan

I still smoke NCs, but recently try to find the ones that dont have a "pepper blast" and dont leave me with that "ashtray mouth" the next day. That screens out a lot of them...

Still buy and enjoy medium/mild NCs and probably always will.  Prefer CCs flavors and complexity, but I need to get my fix for certain flavor profiles that only some NCs deliver.  A well-executed, mil

I've been at a 50/50 ratio since I started smoking

Both my stash and my habits regularly run at 50/50

I don't have the luxury of buying direct from Rob in USD and avoiding taxes so CC's are for the most part cost comparable to NC's 80% of the time so I tend to buy and smoke whatever takes my interest.

I've shrunk the amount of different brands I purchase but increased the volume of some of my staples like Tatuaje, Drew Estate, Rocky Patel, Roma Craft ect

I only have a few on hand. Most of them are ones that I used to enjoy and have had in my humidor since I started it up after buying my first box of CCs over a year ago. I now have a small collection of 125 CCs and up until last week, it's been over a year since I had a NC. I had one fishing the other day and it was a one dimensional pepper blast that I didn't mind to throw out half way through. I am saving these for an upcoming 4 day fishing trip that I imagine will be a 4+ cigar per day kind of deal. The ligas used to be my favorite, I'm curious to see how I react to it now. The Padrons were my go-to as well and a LFD for a punch in the face. I imagine I might toss the double ligero after I light it up but we'll see. 

Although I don't smoke NCs, I will say that they have made a long lasting impression on what I find I enjoy in a cigar. I lean heavily to the stronger, full bodied cubans. I'm not sure that will change. At least it hasn't yet. 

Great thread btw. 

20160815_220913.jpg

In my mind, Cuba lags behind the NC market in two places: high strength blends and maduro blends. Strength doesn't matter much to me, but I do like a good maduro every now and then so padrons and AF hemi maduros are still on the buy list for me when the price is reasonable. Illusione has some blends that I really like, their singulares are the only NC limited release that I really hunt for any more. On the odd day that I really want something strong I go for an LFD, but some times they can be too much for me.

• Like 1

Yeah, I paired my NC stock down to 6 or 7 much appreciated marcas for when I want something retro.  VSG, Hemingways, T52's, etc.  Otherwise, the vast majority of my stock is Cuban.

I'm still smoking NC as of right now. Being in the states it's easier to run down and buy 10 sticks to last me the week while I wait for more boxes to come in from rob. Im still new to the CC experience and am just starting my collection. I have a box of montecristo 2's aging in the humidor now and I have a box of princes on the way! Looking forward to broadening my horizons as far as CC goes but as I have these aging I'll be smoking NC for the time being. 

I definitely agree with the cost aspect though. I was somewhat stunned by the cheaper price and higher quality of Cuban cigars. I suspect going forward I'll only be purchasing Cubans. Great topic!

I have a couple of boxes of NC smokes, and I do smoke a few each week.  In one I keep handfuls of cheap and cheerful stuff like Maria Mancini, Joya da Nicaragua, LFD Chisels, Brick House, La Aurora etc.  In the other, I keep good stuff: Ashton VSG, Pardon Anniversary, a few Fuentes.  

Not every occasion is a Cuban occasion, IMO.  Just as sometimes I don't want to slowly sip and appreciate an aged single malt or a bottle of good Burgundy but rather chug a cold refreshing beer or cider, so there are times when I want a cigar that is flavourful but uncomplicated, that I can enjoy without having to vote too much attention to it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, polarbear said:

I've been at a 50/50 ratio since I started smoking

Both my stash and my habbits regularly run at 50/50

I don't have the luxury of buying direct from Rob in USD and avoiding taxes so CC's are for the most part cost comparable to NC's 80% of the time so I tend to buy and smoke whatever takes my interest.

I've shrunk the amount of different brands I purchase but increased the volume of some of my staples like Tatuaje, Drew Estate, Rocky Patel, Roma Craft ect

I'm with polar bear on this, and I'd say I'm a 50/50 guy. Currently I'm tending to favour Padron, I've had no issues with construction or burn and quality is second to non CC or NC.

I'm about 50/50.  While I believe Cuba produces the best tobacco, and thus the best cigars in the world, I still have a taste for quite a few NCs.  Right now Warped is at the top of my list.  Their La Colmena, Don Reynaldo, Corto, Skyflower, and Lirio Rojo are all fantastic cigars to my tastes.  Tatuaje, especially the black label, still makes some excellent cigars.  Caldwell and Illusione are also pretty solid across the board.  I'm not a huge Quesada fan in general, but their 40th Corona Clasica is a great cigar.  I've found the Chogui Dos77 blend to be to my liking as well.  I enjoy a Fuente or Padron, but for me, most of the ones I really like aren't worth what they cost.

It's obviously a different profile than what you get from Cuba, but I think many of the above more than hold their own in terms of complexity and balance.  The variety of flavor profiles really keeps things interesting to me.  I wouldn't enjoy the hobby nearly as much if I had to limit myself to only CCs or NCs.  

• Like 3

Good quality mid priced Non Cubans for guests who want to try but don't do so regularly. In my experience, they puff a few times and throw it out anyway. After a few instances where guests threw out my Siglo VIs after a puff, I just bought some regular production non Cubans just for hand outs. Cubans for those who do smoke. 

I smoke both on a fairly regular basis, but I do tend to have streaks of one or the other. When I have time to sit back and really relax and enjoy my cigar, I reach for my CC. When I'm at a social gathering with a lot of chatting and activity, or if I am busy doing something outside but can't sit back, I tend to reach for my non-CC. Recently I've started restocking my CC, and at the same time I've narrowed down the non-CC that I want to keep, the rest I trade or give away to friends. 

Ironically, I recently re-discovered the Griffins Robusto, and I find it to be quite a nice change. I especially like it if I'm smoking on an empty stomach, or late in the evening after 1 or 2 other cigars. 

• Like 1

I'm still pretty new to CC, so right now I'm probably 90% NC to 10% CC.  I can already tell that will change in the next few months as I'm more tempted to reach for a CC most time when I can.  I'll probably still keep select NC's in the rotation (Opus, Roma Craft, Crowned Heads, Tats) that I currently enjoy.  

Since finding a few reliable sources for CC's a few years back, my NC consumption has dropped rapidly. What NCs I have left are mostly the remnants of those days. That being said, I bought a box of Herrera Esteli Lancero Limited Edition 2014s early this year, to add to the 2 boxes I already have. They are tremendous cigars, consistent burn and construction and amazing flavor and complexity.

I also have plenty of Macanudos tucked away for friends or they time when I just want something smooth, creamy and easy to smoke. I enjoyed the hell out of a CAO Brazilla box pressed a few nights ago while watching the Olympics. I still have one more box pressed and an "Anaconda" that I will definitely burn in the next week in honor of the host nation.

The NC word certainly has much to offer, but its like picking your way through a minefield. I have completely avoided new NC new releases the last few years. Its seems most of these lines are more marketing than substance. The Davidoff Nics have been nice, but I would much rather smoke 3 1/2 PLMCs for the price of 1 Davidoff Nic Toro. Same with Fuentes, the 26 and 64 padrons, etc.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MaxG said:

The first puff of an NC is all you're going to get for the whole stick.  How boring.  

CCs develop, mature, grow, evolve, transform.  I disagree with the NIC mantra of, "they're strong."  I like strong.  In cigars, food, etc...  To me, NICs are not "strong", they're blunt.  Yes, they give all they have to give from puff one, but that's it.  There's nothing more.  

Aging yields you nothing.  There is no complexity.  There is no unexpected flavor.  There is no development.   

I keep a few NCs that I was gifted in a tupperdor, including a few Hamlet's, which I look forward to.  But they don't compare.  They simply can't.

- MG

I totally agree that on the whole, CC's are far more complex than NC's (although there are exceptions - Party Shorts aren't very complex, but they're still very tasty). I just don't agree that this makes NC's boring or inferior (which is why after smoking cigars for about 4 years, I still smoke a lot of them, even though CC's are often better value for money).

Don't get me wrong, I love some CC's for their complexity and flavour development. But sometimes simplicity can be lovely too. My mum's apple crumble isn't going to win any Michelin stars for its culinary sophistication, and the first bite tastes the same as the last, but I still enjoy it every time I eat it. It's simple, tasty comfort food that brings back happy memories of my childhood. Although I enjoy food with complex flavours, I wouldn't want to have every meal at a Michelin starred restaurant. I don't always feel like challenging my palate with complex and unexpected flavours. Sometimes, nothing beats the simplicity of mum's apple crumble. And for the same reasons, sometimes nothing beats an NC. At other times, nothing beats a fancy meal prepared by a great chef, or an outstanding CC. Variety is the spice of life. :)

• Like 4

I have a few NCs I smoke while cutting the grass,and I enjoy a maduro (LGC) as well, so I have a few of them.

probably I smoke 1% NCs.............

I still smoke both, but its the curiosity of the non Cubans that peak my interest. Tatuaje, Illusione, Hamelt Tabaqueros. I limit them to around four per year because Cubans are my preferred cigars. For most people it all comes down to price, availability and preference.

Peace.

2 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

The NC word certainly has much to offer, but its like picking your way through a minefield. I have completely avoided new NC new releases the last few years. Its seems most of these lines are more marketing than substance.

I totally agree. I think I got so burnt out on picking my way through new releases that I have stopped trying. How many duds to you want to smoke through to find a gem? Its taken me 3 years to get around to sampling each of the Cuban brands. I love the pleasant NC surprise when its handed to me but they are all too few and far between.

• Like 1

I'm likely 1 out of 4-1 NC for every 4 CC.  I have people at work give me NCs all the time and while most times I think they're mostly kinda bad, sometimes I get completely surprised.  I smoked a RP Edge Corojo the other day given to me by a guy at work and it was very good.  Burn was great and it had a nice taste.  I think once you get over the forbidden fruit idea, it's all about personal tastes.  

I haven't smoked a NC since 2012 at least, maybe longer. CC just offer so much more, with regards to subtle flavor you just can't find in over processed over fermented NC. With most NC brands the always like to brag about how long the blend has been ages for, and we don't rush the hands of time blah blah. Then why do your cigars taste like like I just got hit in the face with a pepper mill. 

Everytime im out and i smell someone smoking a NC it reminds me why I no longer do.

for the record I have one NC in my stash, an anjeo shark that's at least 4 years old. I received it in a pass and can't smoke it,but can't get rid of it either? I saved all my NC cigars for friends who would come over ask for a cigar the stomp it out in the ash tray 15 min in. in all fairness the were probably sick off the nicotine.

About the only time I smoke an NC is while in the Jeep with the top down or when golfing, been smoking those Oliva V's as the construction is very stout and takes the wind of the top down very well.  The humidor has several drawers devoted to higher end Padrons and AF's, but now they have been sitting for a long time.  Even took a couple of Padron Anni's on a recent fishing trip and never quite got around to them.  I have a small company and we still smoke in the office and normally the indoors smoking is CC.  

• Like 1