How many still smoke NCs

I enjoy both CCs and NCs, about 40%CC and 60% NC.

Just like CC's, there's good and bad in both so of course one enjoys what is suited to their tastes. I very much enjoy Oliva Serie V and Melanios, anything Padron, San Cristobal Revelation (NC), Nub. Often also buy singles to try new cigars.

• Like 3

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh man!  I wish i had the cigars to send to many of you. I'm certain i could rock some worlds Age and give the same attention to good NC's as one would to his/her CC's and one will be pleasan

I still smoke NCs, but recently try to find the ones that dont have a "pepper blast" and dont leave me with that "ashtray mouth" the next day. That screens out a lot of them...

Still buy and enjoy medium/mild NCs and probably always will.  Prefer CCs flavors and complexity, but I need to get my fix for certain flavor profiles that only some NCs deliver.  A well-executed, mil

8 hours ago, stevem said:

Have yet to try the Psyko7

Good cigar, The broadleaf version has some hybrid tobacco from Davidoff, who produces the cigar for Ventura. 

On August 16, 2016 at 8:50 PM, earthson said:

I guess that's my main beef with NC - they charge too much for quality. A PLPC, HUPC, RASS or Punch Punch are all sub $10 sticks and kick the hell out of pretty much any NC I can think of.

So I guess on the surface if you are comparing retail to retail yes NCs maybe appear to be inferior to  comparitvely  priced CCs, but I almost always buy NCs at a significant discount. Rarely are CC's available at the discount levels of the NCs I buy. I like both but I don't think I'll ever just smoke one or the other.

14 hours ago, gweilgi said:

Perhaps we should revisit this thread when the embargo falls completely and master cigar makers like Fuente or Padron can get their hands on Cuban leaf to show what they can achieve blending the best of Cuba with the best of the DR, Nicaragua, Honduras and all the other countries....

That's one experiment I anticipate very keenly.

Its gunna be along time, if ever, before this happens. The embargo is not stopping HSA/Altadis/Imperial Tobacco from selling leaf to any of the french and spanish tobacco conglomerates that own the vast majority of the premium handrolled cigar factories and labels. Only a few very large conglomerates control production of most hand rolled cigars, Imperial is a competitor to all of them.

Cuba cant even produce enough quality leaf to keep their flagship brand on the shelves, let alone regular production, and all the new "special" cigars every year.

Where is all this tobacco for everybody else going to come from? And why, at this point, would HSA/Altadis/Imperial suddenly abandon all the hard work its taken for them to build a monopoly on Cuban cigar production?

We may start to see more small batches of leaf sneak off the island to smaller operations in the Caribbean or Florida, but large scale mass marketed multi national blends including Cuban tobacco are a long, long ways off. 

9 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Its gunna be along time, if ever, before this happens. The embargo is not stopping HSA/Altadis/Imperial Tobacco from selling leaf to any of the french and spanish tobacco conglomerates that own the vast majority of the premium handrolled cigar factories and labels. Only a few very large conglomerates control production of most hand rolled cigars, Imperial is a competitor to all of them.

Cuba cant even produce enough quality leaf to keep their flagship brand on the shelves, let alone regular production, and all the new "special" cigars every year.

Where is all this tobacco for everybody else going to come from? And why, at this point, would HSA/Altadis/Imperial suddenly abandon all the hard work its taken for them to build a monopoly on Cuban cigar production?

We may start to see more small batches of leaf sneak off the island to smaller operations in the Caribbean or Florida, but large scale mass marketed multi national blends including Cuban tobacco are a long, long ways off. 

What do you think the Cubans will do if (or when) someone like Fuente comes and offers more money for loose leaf than they can get for a fully rolled cigar -- around $1 (US) last time i looked?  They are already cutting down and rationalising their product line-up, so losing another vitola somewhere and redirecting the tobacco to export won't hurt them much.  

Another point is that of course they do not want to dilute their market appeal, the "magic" of Cuban tobacco.  So they are highly unlikely to sell leaf on a large scale ... but that leaves boutique makers, limited editions and joint ventures.  I could see Fuente or Padron being invited to create a special Limited Edition or two -- after all, isn't that sort of special product precisely what the LE gimmick was invented for?  

• Like 1

85% CC
15% NC which consist of 6 boxes aged Opus, 40-50 '64 Padron Annys, and 2 boxes of La Palina Goldie #5's.

I rarity smoke NC's anymore, probably sell off most of them within the next year or so. Nothing compares to CC's for me these days. No looking back..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In short, I like my CCs and I like my NC's, and I smoke what I'm in the mood for at that moment.  My stash is about 50/50.  Most of my NC collection includes boutique brands: Tatuaje, Illusione, Kristoff, Panacea, Catelli, etc., as well as premium Padrons and AFs., and I love their diversity.  That said, I certainly adore my CCs as well, not necessarily "better", just a wonderfully different experience, but as always each has a time and a place.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 7:22 PM, gweilgi said:

Perhaps we should revisit this thread when the embargo falls completely and master cigar makers like Fuente or Padron can get their hands on Cuban leaf to show what they can achieve blending the best of Cuba with the best of the DR, Nicaragua, Honduras and all the other countries....

That's one experiment I anticipate very keenly.

Not ever going to happen for many reasons. The biggest one being the new FDA regulation of premium cigars. If the pending lawsuit against them fails, expect to see very few if any new cigars or blends in the USA.  Many cigar companies simply cannot afford hundreds of thousands of $$ to bring new cigars to market. These costs will no doubt be passed on to the consumer, and who is going to shell out the big $$ to buy them? Millionaires?

I am just starting to try to get into CCs as a more regular part of my stash and rotation, but I can't see myself ever abandoning NCs. There are a lot of reasons, but the main one is that I love variety. I like way too many kinds of cigars to limit myself. And while there are many NCs that attempt to replicate the experience of Cuban cigars, some beautifully, what I really appreciate are cigar makers who create unique cigars that stand alone. There are many, and if the embargo ended today, they'd still have a spot in my humidor. Just the sheer variety of leaf that is available outside of Cuba means that skilled blenders have almost limitless opportunities to create wonderful cigars.

Whether it happens or not, I can only imagine the possibilities if some of those great blenders could get their hands on Cuban leaf...:hungry:

My stash is 99% CC. Only have 1 sentimental NC box that represented my home forum and some straggler singles i couldnt sell.

Havent had an NC for almost a year. The slope was steep and the transition was eye opening. No turning back now. Not regretting it at all.

It all started when i found 12 RACF in Shenzhen almost 3 years ago. All in lol

• Like 1

I buy a sampler of NCs every couple of months to see what is out there. Usually they're enjoyable smokes but still my heart and palate is with Cuba.

Hi all,

Well, after reading all of everybody,s thoughs,and all that I've tasted In the N.C.'s,

all that I can say Is that I can understand and respect what you think or do,but

for me there's only CUBANS . No matter what with no,"Yes,but".  Sorry !!!!!!!!!!

Guy

Thanks for all the replies guys, I honestly didn't think I'd get this much feedback -- what a wonderful place we have here for this kind of discourse.

I have to say that for me as I slowly descend into the world of Cubans, I can understand the love affair. So far I've had Montes, RASS, and HdM and have been lucky to enjoy the cream, caramel and coffee of these. I think next up from my sampler I'll be trying a Magnum 46 Upmann

Had an H.Upman 1844 Media Noche from 2012 tonight that was very pleasant. Larger ring than I like but very nice smoke! Would enjoy this cigar again for sure. Floral, molasses, creme bomb.