Ryan Lochte an embarrassment to everyone...

I can't begin to tell you how I feel about this...

Ryan Lochte an embarrassment to everyone...

Dropped by Speedo, Ralph Lauren Amid Rio Robbery Scandal

UPDATED: Ryan Lochte has lost two of his biggest sponsors.

Speedo has dropped the U.S. swimmer after he admitted to “over-exaggerating” a story about being robbed at gunpoint during the Rio Olympics.

“While we have enjoyed a winning relationship with Ryan for over a decade and he has been an important member of the Speedo team, we cannot condone behavior that is counter to the values this brand has long stood for,” the company announced Monday on Twitter. “We appreciate his many achievements and hope he moves forward and learns from this experience.”

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Such a world of perfect people and no end of internet shaming. So much outrage over someone being an idiot yet we give people well paid careers in Washington DC who are by far bigger liars than this g

Our athletes are, to a degree, ambassadors for our respective countries during the Olympics. I have no problem with someone getting drunk and being an asshole. Hell I've been there done that... But he

You two could just PM each other. It'll be loads of fun. 

I'm sure this is just the beginning of the avalanche, IMHO he should lose a few medals along with it. Hey, adults need whoopin's too. Perhaps he'll grow up and move beyond the d-bag stage. :rolleyes:

• Like 3

I am very glad to see his sponsors dropping him. I think IOC and US Olympic Committee should hand down a stiff penalty too for his actions. An apology to the people and city of Brazil isn't good enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, forgop said:

Such a world of perfect people and no end of internet shaming. So much outrage over someone being an idiot yet we give people well paid careers in Washington DC who are by far bigger liars than this guy.

Carry on with the torches and pitch forks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Let me make sure I understand what you're saying:  you're saying that people who are happy to see some repercussions for this guy's assholery means that those people see themselves as perfect? Could you explain this conclusion in more detail?  I'm not sure I follow. 

Or are you just saying that anyone who isn't perfect should be opposed to anyone being held responsible for such assholery?

• Like 3

Let me make sure I understand what you're saying:  you're saying that people who are happy to see some repercussions for this guy's assholery means that those people see themselves as perfect? Could you explain this conclusion in more detail?  I'm not sure I follow. 

Or are you just saying that anyone who isn't perfect should be opposed to anyone being held responsible for such assholery?

I'm saying people are far more outraged over this than real lying professional crooks having a far greater imlact on our lives than a swimmer embellishing a story.

• Like 2

I feel the backlash is certainly warranted.  What a fool, and he's no 19 year old kid.  At 32 years old with multiple olympics, there is no excuse.

Not that it matters all that much.  In a few months he's more than likely to become irrelevant anyway.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, forgop said:

I'm saying people are far more outraged over this than real lying professional crooks having a far greater imlact on our lives than a swimmer embellishing a story.

I don't think that's true, that people are more outraged about this than they are about corruption in politics.

I also think that pointing out that there are much more important things to be concerned about is sort of strange. By that logic we shouldn't be concerned about sports at all.  Or music, or TV shows, or your kid's dance recital. After all, there are more important things going on. Maybe we should all just decide on what the single most important thing in the world is, and then not talk or think about anything else, ever. After all, it's not as important as that other thing. 

• Like 3

i think it is possible to be disgusted by both garbage politicians and idiot sportsmen. i know i often am.

whilst our games have been far from the "usual stellar achievements" we convinced ourselves were inevitable, it could be worse. 15 man rugby could have been a sport and our tennis morons, krygios and tomic, could have actually gone. i have no doubt they'd have managed to make lochtie's idiocy look anemic in the face of whatever they would have managed. so big win for us.

• Like 1

I don't think that's true, that people are more outraged about this than they are about corruption in politics.

Right-

We're going to make someone POTUS that makes this guy seem like a saint.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, forgop said:

Right-

We're going to make someone POTUS that makes this guy seem like a saint.

And you think people aren't outraged about it?  You need to get out more, and talk to some people. 

I don't understand why people are shocked when a "role model's" handlers mess up and we see their true nature.  I am more shocked that people ever believed he was a role model.  I get that a top tier athlete has to work really hard to achieve their goals, but that doesn't make them a moral compass.  Clearly, this guy was not smart enough to realize that someone might actually look into his story.  He swims fast.  That is what he does.  He loses a bunch of money for getting drunk and being an idiot in Brazil.  I bet he still swims fast. In my younger days, I got drunk and acted like a moron.  Thank god I don't swim fast, because no one seemed to care.

On the other hand, Michael Phelps who swims faster than Ryan, had his share of controversy through the years.  I guess if you are going to be controversial and swim fast, then you have to be the fastest swimmer to keep your role model status and sponsors.

• Like 1

And you think people aren't outraged about it?  You need to get out more, and talk to some people. 

One news network is outraged. All the others are campaigning for her. The more outraged they can incite everyone over a swimmer, transgendered bathrooms, and a gorilla, the less everyone is focused on the real professional liars.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, forgop said:

One news network is outraged. All the others are campaigning for her. The more outraged they can incite everyone over a swimmer, transgendered bathrooms, and a gorilla, the less everyone is focused on the real professional liars.

And you're saying that's what we should be talking about on here, even though that topic is forbidden on this forum?

8 minutes ago, forgop said:

3 minutes ago, DrunkenMonkey said:

And you're saying that's what we should be talking about on here, even though that topic is forbidden on this forum?

You two could just PM each other.

It'll be loads of fun. 

• Like 4

No. Just giving perspective about what meaningless garbage we choose to get so butthurt over as a nation.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, forgop said:

No. Just giving perspective about what meaningless garbage we choose to get so butthurt over as a nation.

I don't have all the facts because I haven't really followed the story...but the perspective I was looking at was that of Brazil and the guys fellow teammates.

Brazil's biggest worry was to get a black eye.  Swimming pools turning different shades of green isn't all that bad.  They'll get over that.  But when a world famous Olympic athlete claims that he was robbed and Brazil was doing everything to avoid such a nightmare situation...well that could have had a serious affect on tourism to Rio.  I just hope he was overheard to say it...filing a false criminal complaint is a crime.

And how about his teammate getting yanked off a plane and having his passport taken.  I'm sure he's thrilled having that guy as a friend.

Biggest story or most important story in the media?  No.  But you can't run just one story either.  

• Like 2

Not so much embarrassing as stupidly pathetic. At 32 he should behave better but let's be honest, his behavior wasn't much worse than the average alumni at a college football game.