Ryan Lochte an embarrassment to everyone...

It's crazy to think that one night of partying and being an idiot can cost this athlete so much. This incident has probably cost him $millions in earnings potential. I sure hope it was worth it. I'm not outraged, and I certainly don't idolize this or any other athlete. But as a senior member of the United States olympic team, he disrespected the host country, his team and the US. 

Ironically, if he had just got drunk and made a slight fool of himself, nothing would have come of it, most anyone would understand and simply write that off. Even getting carried away and pissing in public, he could have simply paid for the damage and walked away, and would probably still have his sponsors. But the crazy robbery story raised the stakes to a national level, embarrassing the host country and literally forced them to investigate and defend their honor. Up to that point he would have got a little slap on the wrist, but would likely still be set for life. Now, he's a disgrace and a washout. What a sad story. That's a hangover you can't recover from.

• Like 3

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Such a world of perfect people and no end of internet shaming. So much outrage over someone being an idiot yet we give people well paid careers in Washington DC who are by far bigger liars than this g

Our athletes are, to a degree, ambassadors for our respective countries during the Olympics. I have no problem with someone getting drunk and being an asshole. Hell I've been there done that... But he

You two could just PM each other. It'll be loads of fun. 

2 hours ago, Williamos said:

Luckily most people get to make their mistakes and learn their lessons in relative privacy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I agree....I don't think we need to sacrifice him.... hopefully he can help younger athletes not to make the same idiotic mistakes ...Justin Gatlin a proven drug cheat twice and running for the USA... and finishing on the podium with a smile on his face... wow you guys send cheats to the Olympics ... and worry about some drunken doodle head.

I had a bit of laugh ...he has to live with his own embarrassment and shame.... but he is not a drug cheat ...:P.

Oh yeah he is as thick as a plank as well.... his interviews are extremely painful to watch...

• Like 1

To me, what's actually funny is when people take a guy who is defined by his physical aptitudes and spends all of his time repeating the same activity on a loop for decades, then expect to be able to depend on that guy's moral values and depth of personality...

The sad part is when I see people surprized by some athletes' lack of integrity or when they get upset by the phenomenon... People's expectations are so f**ked up ?

• Like 3

Turns out that Ryan is being somewhat vindicated.

A USA Today investigation has found that Ryan's story was mostly true.  He did exaggerate about the gun to the head part of the story, but the majority of the rest of his story was accurate.  

A link to the investigation:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/olympics/rio-2016/2016/08/21/investigation-ryan-lochte-rio-olympics-authorities/89082232/

20 hours ago, Philc2001 said:

It's crazy to think that one night of partying and being an idiot can cost this athlete so much.

I've heard some one say once that, "We're all one bad decision away from the gutter." I believe that to be completely true. 

• Like 1

I've heard some one say once that, "We're all one bad decision away from the gutter." I believe that to be completely true. 

100%

This happened to my wife. She decided on the steamed Thai mussels while in a pub in Galway, Ireland, of all places. And 45 minutes later she was quite literally in the gutter.

I have a photo.

• Like 3

100%

This happened to my wife. She decided on the steamed Thai mussels while in a pub in Galway, Ireland, of all places. And 45 minutes later she was quite literally in the gutter.

I have a photo.

Seagulls were involved in the aftermath.

Which I thought was fitting.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Festa said:

100%

I have a photo.

An analogous event happened to me on a cruise ship once.. Bad deal!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Jeremy Festa said:

Ha classic ......seagulls

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jeremy Festa said:

100%

I have a photo.

some of your best work.

but why is it that almost every post of yours has me thinking 'new wife'?

2 hours ago, Jeremy Festa said:

...brilliant.

23 hours ago, westg said:

Yep I agree....I don't think we need to sacrifice him.... hopefully he can help younger athletes not to make the same idiotic mistakes ...Justin Gatlin a proven drug cheat twice and running for the USA... and finishing on the podium with a smile on his face... wow you guys send cheats to the Olympics ... and worry about some drunken doodle head.

I had a bit of laugh ...he has to live with his own embarrassment and shame.... but he is not a drug cheat ...:P.

Oh yeah he is as thick as a plank as well.... his interviews are extremely painful to watch...

The IOC has final say on who is allowed or not allowed to participate. There has been no evidence of Gatlin cheating in years, so he was allowed to compete. The Russian Track and Wrestling teams had been participating in state sponsored cheating for years, so they didn't get to compete. The IOC and or the individual sports commissions made the final decisions, not the Individual countries. "The IAAF sends cheats to the Olympics" would be a more factual sentence. 

Lets be honest with ourselves, many of the amazing and record breaking performances we saw (from many countries) were aided by doping. We just wont find out until a few years latter when WADA's testing methods catch up to the current doping methods.   

I don't think many people are mad at Ryan Lochte for getting drunk and acting like an asshole, it happens. How you handle that behavior, and rectify it is what sets you apart. Ryan Lochte acted like a 15 year old, then regressed to roughly 12 year old behavior in an attempt to cover it up, then responded to interview questions with the poise of a 4 year old sitting on a full diaper. 

Mike Phelps has 2 DUI's and got caught smoking weed. Guess who else smokes weed and drives drunk occasionally? A depressingly large number of American adults. The difference between Phelps and Lochte (beyond ability/drive) is that Phelps manned up and apologized for his mistakes. He didn't fabricate stories, blame everybody else, and spew the lies all over international media. Ryan Lochte did lie, he didnt "embellish" this part or that part, he lied, then continued to lie. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

"The IAAF sends cheats to the Olympics" would be a more factual sentence.

actually, the more 'factual' sentence would be that the IAAF allows cheats at the Olympics. the countries send them. of course, countries may or may not know that they are cheating.

sadly, this hangs over all the great performances (and plenty of less great ones as well).

and i certainly do not exclude us from that. a good mate of mine ran in atlanta. i am not sure i was more horrified or depressed by what he told me.

one hopes that the really great athletes are not on the stuff but there is always a shadow. such a shame. penalties have to start to wipe it out. if you are caught, no second chance. sure, perhaps a tiny bit of leeway for cases of doubt (and that opens many caveats) but in general, they should be gone.

5 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

actually, the more 'factual' sentence would be that the IAAF allows cheats at the Olympics. the countries send them. of course, countries may or may not know that they are cheating.

sadly, this hangs over all the great performances (and plenty of less great ones as well).

and i certainly do not exclude us from that. a good mate of mine ran in atlanta. i am not sure i was more horrified or depressed by what he told me.

one hopes that the really great athletes are not on the stuff but there is always a shadow. such a shame. penalties have to start to wipe it out. if you are caught, no second chance. sure, perhaps a tiny bit of leeway for cases of doubt (and that opens many caveats) but in general, they should be gone.

Touche. We send them, but don't necessarily know if they are cheating or not. What amazed me about the whole Russian thing was that Russian citizens where the ones collecting the samples and sending them to WADA. Random piss tests that we take at work have a more solid chain of custody. The US, Australia, Russia, China, whoever shouldn't be the ones baby sitting themselves. We've all proven we aren't capable. 

Its not just the Olympics or "muscle" sports either, Cycling is still at the leading edge of blood doping. Chinese and Russian Swimmers, US track athletes, A Russian Table tennis player (yes ping pong) Its crazy to me. Apparently there are substances that can make anybody better at anything.  

3 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Touche. We send them, but don't necessarily know if they are cheating or not. What amazed me about the whole Russian thing was that Russian citizens where the ones collecting the samples and sending them to WADA. Random piss tests that we take at work have a more solid chain of custody. The US, Australia, Russia, China, whoever shouldn't be the ones baby sitting themselves. We've all proven we aren't capable. 

Its not just the Olympics or "muscle" sports either, Cycling is still at the leading edge of blood doping. Chinese and Russian Swimmers, US track athletes, A Russian Table tennis player (yes ping pong) Its crazy to me. Apparently there are substances that can make anybody better at anything.  

I have heard from more than professional athlete across multiple sports say everyone is cheating.  You have to cheat to become a pro athlete.  When you have doctors telling you they can help you beat the system; everyone else is doing it; here's a few other athletes I've helped out etc.... you are going to believe them and cheat.  After the IOC didn't ban all Russian athletes I said screw it to the Olympics this year.  I didn't even watch fives seconds and usually I can't get enough.  Between the corruption, the cheating, and how IMO these games have become too expensive for any country to justify hosting I've had enough.  Let them all cheat.  I would much rather watch games where I know everyone is cheating, the goods ones all are anyway.  As a social experiment I would be very interested in seeing if the rating were better or worse .... at least it would be a level playing field for all.

15 hours ago, Jeremy Festa said:

You did though, didn't you.

And now look where we are.

Look at the mess you got us into. 

For shame. 

I think it is fantastic, no shame , the US team sends stoners ,drunk drivers, piss heads , drug cheats and liars..... wow how could they send such a horrible lot..... guess what ...its not their fault..:party:

• Like 2

And the mess continues.

So let's get deep.

Drugs should be allowed in sports.

The human body and brain are high performance biomech machines.

Tune them up to the hilt I say.

It is also human nature, to cheat. Survival of the fittest. Use anything and everything possible to get ahead.  

As euthanasia is becoming more and more legal/accepted, I believe the use of drugs in sport to the detriment of an individual's health and wellbeing should be their choice.

There is that grey area of coaches and management encouraging young up and comers to get into it (cheating), but the decided factor was recently highlighted in a study, following the overhaul of the drug taking in the Tour de France. 

I forget the specifics, and will take me time to find the study again, but it is along the lines of; a series of questions asking athletes if they were to cheat, and win, and get away with it, but die as a result within a year of winning, would they still cheat? And the answer "YES" is a shockingly high percentage. 

Ask yourself, if you could go down in the history books, for incredible physical feats, would you?

I would love to see a sub 9 second 100m sprint. 

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, westg said:

I think it is fantastic, no shame , the US team sends stoners ,drunk drivers, piss heads , drug cheats and liars..... wow how could they send such a horrible lot..... guess what ...its not their fault..:party:

So do we West. As does every country. 

The athletes sent should be almost an exact ratio or cross section of normal society. In any given country. 

4 minutes ago, Jeremy Festa said:

And the mess continues.

So let's get deep.

Drugs should be allowed in sports.

The human body and brain are high performance biomech machines.

Tune them up to the hilt I say.

It is also human nature, to cheat. Survival of the fittest. Use anything and everything possible to get ahead.  

As euthanasia is becoming more and more legal/accepted, I believe the use of drugs in sport to the detriment of an individual's health and wellbeing should be their choice.

There is that grey area of coaches and management encouraging young up and comers to get into it (cheating), but the decided factor was recently highlighted in a study, following the overhaul of the drug taking in the Tour de France. 

I forget the specifics, and will take me time to find the study again, but it is along the lines of; a series of questions asking athletes if they were to cheat, and win, and get away with it, but die as a result within a year of winning, would they still cheat? And the answer "YES" is a shockingly high percentage. 

Ask yourself, if you could go down in the history books, for incredible physical feats, would you?

I would love to see a sub 9 second 100m sprint. 

Just my 2 cents.

I think we should hook up and compare notes ....

• Like 1