Ryan Lochte an embarrassment to everyone...

49 minutes ago, Jeremy Festa said:

So do we West. As does every country. 

The athletes sent should be almost an exact ratio or cross section of normal society. In any given country. 

We don't only the US do ....clearly

• Like 1

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Such a world of perfect people and no end of internet shaming. So much outrage over someone being an idiot yet we give people well paid careers in Washington DC who are by far bigger liars than this g

Our athletes are, to a degree, ambassadors for our respective countries during the Olympics. I have no problem with someone getting drunk and being an asshole. Hell I've been there done that... But he

You two could just PM each other. It'll be loads of fun. 

11 hours ago, Jeremy Festa said:

Drugs should be allowed in sports.

I guess it depends on how we consider sports -

simple entertainment, gladiatorial games, or athletic competitions based on fair play. Also for consideration is why so many invest so much energy in sports to begin with, and why top athletes are put on pedestals and their actions viewed microscopically.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

simple entertainment, gladiatorial games, or athletic competitions based on fair play. Also for consideration is why so many invest so much energy in sports to begin with, and why top athletes are put on pedestals and their actions viewed microscopically.

Gladiatorial games. That would make the Olympics interesting again. And at the end of the Olympics, we sacrifice all the athletes that came in dead last, by chucking them into the Olympic cauldron. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Fastest, strongest, furthest, best, most accurate. Nothing wishy-washy or open to subjective judging or extraneous variables like a horse or a motor. The rest are just performing arts. All are entertainment though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Jeremy Festa said:

Fastest, strongest, furthest, best, most accurate. Nothing wishy-washy or open to subjective judging or extraneous variables like a horse or a motor. 

In that scenario, I guess anything goes. If we go back to fair play, we'd have to decide what constitutes an unfair advantage - vitamins and similar supplements. Protein shakes. High tech shoes. SARMS.. where does the line get drawn......

42 minutes ago, Colt45 said:

In that scenario, I guess anything goes. If we go back to fair play, we'd have to decide what constitutes an unfair advantage - vitamins and similar supplements. Protein shakes. High tech shoes. SARMS.. where does the line get drawn......

Food is a performance enhance item...

i see the American olympic officials banned that appalling hope solo (seriously, how much star wars did her parents watch?) for 6 months, probably ending her career.

hats off to them. well done. plenty of other teams could take a leaf. she is truly appalling - the american version of a tomic/krygios love child. that was such an embarrassing lack of grace and sportsmanship. exposed for what she is. and i applaud the officials for taking this step.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i see the American olympic officials banned that appalling hope solo (seriously, how much star wars did her parents watch?) for 6 months, probably ending her career.

hats off to them. well done. plenty of other teams could take a leaf. she is truly appalling - the american version of a tomic/krygios love child. that was such an embarrassing lack of grace and sportsmanship. exposed for what she is. and i applaud the officials for taking this step.

Not a classy broad. Never has been, US Soccer actually suspended here, which means no soccer for her at all in the next 6 months. I really do hope she just goes away, unfortunately I doubt that will happen.

9 hours ago, Colt45 said:

where does the line get drawn......

No line. Anything goes. 

Go natural if you want. But know that others may not.

In all honestly, it's the only way now.

As for gladiatorial games, it's a lot like...."But that guy has a bigger sword!"

"Yes, but yours is sharper and more manoeuvrable!"

"Ok!" 

"Best kill him quickly!" 

5 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

possibly not your finest work.

It's Bill's work Ken. And it is brilliant. 

I would love to see Wayde van Niekerk run a 400m against a brilliant field, and then one tubby guy from Chicago. Or Coonabarabran for that matter. 

It would allow everyone to see how good the good guys really are. 

Imagine shot put. LOL. 

Actually long jump. 

16 minutes ago, Jeremy Festa said:

It's Bill's work Ken. And it is brilliant. 

I would love to see Wayde van Niekerk run a 400m against a brilliant field, and then one tubby guy from Chicago. Or Coonabarabran for that matter. 

It would allow everyone to see how good the good guys really are. 

Imagine shot put. LOL. 

Actually long jump. 

Two words...pole vault...!  I can see it now, the average joe impaling himself on the bendy thing as he flies 2 feet through the sky :)

13 minutes ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

Two words...pole vault...!  I can see it now, the average joe impaling himself on the bendy thing as he flies 2 feet through the sky :)

Having dabbled a little in this event under 15/16's around 20 years, the realistic outcome is far more dangerous than that. 

I think we were getting around the 3 to 3.5 metre range. Basically, for those that can't get up and over the pole, you can literally get shot back onto the track in all sorts of awkward positions. It's equivalent to sprinting off a one story house and landing in the front lawn on your side. I have a vivid memory of one boy landing back on his feet where he took off from, but getting whiplash as he kept travelling. Looked like he had a fit as his body jerked and folded back on itself. Was both amusing and confronting. 

33 minutes ago, Jeremy Festa said:

No line. Anything goes. 

Go natural if you want. But know that others may not.

In all honestly, it's the only way now.

As for gladiatorial games, it's a lot like...."But that guy has a bigger sword!"

"Yes, but yours is sharper and more manoeuvrable!"

"Ok!" 

"Best kill him quickly!" 

Like Bilbo with sting, or David vs. Goliath. Or Dark Helmet going to ludicrous speed.

14 minutes ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

How about the javelin catch?

19 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

Except they were incredibly hypocritical and self-serving in how they did it.  Keep in mind this woman was arrested for physically abusing her nephew, and never faced a suspension.  The charges against her were dropped, but then reinstated.  Nothing.  She and her criminal husband got arrested for driving a team van while intoxicated, and she only got a 30 day suspension.  Her comments after the Sweden match were ugly and embarrassing, but no worse than your typical Mourinho post-match remarks.  But somehow that's enough for a six month suspension.  

The truth is she's getting older, she's not the best goalkeeper in the women's game anymore, and the women's national team has only two meaningless fixtures in the next six months.  It's a hell of a lot easier to pretend to draw the line when it's a convenient time to move on from her anyway.  And if they can't find anyone to competently replace her by the time they start playing meaningful matches again, the door is still open for a return.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, wabashcr said:

Except they were incredibly hypocritical and self-serving in how they did it.  Keep in mind this woman was arrested for physically abusing her nephew, and never faced a suspension.  The charges against her were dropped, but then reinstated.  Nothing.  She and her criminal husband got arrested for driving a team van while intoxicated, and she only got a 30 day suspension.  Her comments after the Sweden match were ugly and embarrassing, but no worse than your typical Mourinho post-match remarks.  But somehow that's enough for a six month suspension.  

The truth is she's getting older, she's not the best goalkeeper in the women's game anymore, and the women's national team has only two meaningless fixtures in the next six months.  It's a hell of a lot easier to pretend to draw the line when it's a convenient time to move on from her anyway.  And if they can't find anyone to competently replace her by the time they start playing meaningful matches again, the door is still open for a return.  

definitely a different slant. hardly the first sporting administrators to act cynically (how often do we see nsw players let off suspensions in the lead-up to origin for acts which would bring weeks in other times). still, slightly better than never, i guess.

On 25/08/2016 at 11:13 AM, Colt45 said:

Also for consideration is why so many invest so much energy in sports to begin with, and why top athletes are put on pedestals and their actions viewed microscopically.

A very good point indeed. Always wondering.

• 3 weeks later...