Cohiba Robustos

I have been eyeing Cohiba Robustos for a bit now and am curious about their value.  Certainly, there is the price point to consider when buying these cigars, but does one get the "bang for your buck" when he makes a purchase?  There are great CCs out there for far less $$$, but are these so good that I absolutely must bite the bullet and buy a box?  

• Like 1

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

when I think of great cigars I have had.....one non descript CORO from a decade back I can recall as if I was smoking it now. One of the great cigars of my life. perfect 100 point cigar. Almonds/

Agreed with the collective wisdom here...   Having one right now as I type from 2011. Butter, salt, and hints of lemon grass. Just perfect. So mellow and relaxing. Cant ask for much more. 

I own a box. Why?  Because in my opinion they are often extraordinary and I look forward to having one every few months or so.  I have several boxes of Ex 4, RASS and Regios. Why? Because I think they

I have found people either love them, or don't really see what the fuss is all about. Personally I have yet to have one that knocked me off my feet. I have smoked around 30 something of them, currently working on a box from 2011 that is grossly under filled. For the price I find there are way way way better options. My fav is rass, followed by Juan Lopez no2, and then the epi no. 2. 

I recently purchased a cab of Juan Lopez no. 2 from 2010, from a 24/24 about 2 months ago that are smoking incredibly well.  You can get a 50 can of Ramon Allones Specially Selected for around the same price as a 25 cab of  CoRos kind of a no brainier to me.

• Like 2

I have smoked 20-25 before. Unfortunately I am weak and smoke most without waiting. After about 10 months in my humi the last 2 were extremely memorable. Was it the wait and settle time? Probably. If I could get COROs like those last two, I would pay the price again and again.

• Like 1

CoRos are worth trying. See if you can split a box or get a 3 pack tubo if you can. They have a slightly different flavor profile. Not necessarily better. But different.  They are expensive though. I love RASS and aged PSD4 a lot. For me, those two give you the most bang for your buck in the Robusto lineup. I recommend getting a couple and trying. 

• Like 1

I highly recommend getting a handful to try. Even most Cohiba fans would acknowledge that they are priced above what their quality and size requires, but Cohiba is as much about the name as it is about the stick itself.

If you want bang for your buck, I second the other posters in regards to their RASS, PSD4, HdM Epi2, and others. I personally love the RASS and PSD4s, and if you want to buy whole boxes or cabs, and if you want bang for your buck, get those.

All that said, it is perfectly ok to willingly pay more for something based on pedigree. A great CoRo is a thing of beauty, and many people buy them because they see value in the experience. It's all a matter of perspective. Until you know which side you fall on, I would echo the suggestion above of a tubo 3-pack. Smoke one as soon as it acclimates to your humidor, and then give the other sticks as much time as your patience allows, preferably around a year. Then smoke one and see what you think. If you still aren't sold, keep the third for another year and try again. If you smoke a 2-year old CoRo and still don't see the point, then I think you know where you fall in this discussion.

• Like 3

Definitely expensive. Worth it? Only you will be able to determine that.

I just tried a single that I let sit for two weeks. I have no idea on box code but I assume it was relatively new.

Hay and honey flavors throughout but then the butter showed up at the start of the middle third...blew my doors off. The aroma is something heavenly.

Buttery-sign me up. No butter, Ill take a BBF or a BRC. 

Try a single and see for yourself :) That's what I did.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, spivey6690 said:

Thank you all for the input!  This thread has certainly gotten my mouth watering.  

I think that's code for everyone to post pics.... :)

• Like 1

I read often, in various threads, how members on our site hesitate over pricing and flavour profile in regards to the Cohiba marca. Curiously, when Cohiba stock comes up on 24:24 sales they sell out very quickly and almost every time. I don't regret not even one of my Cohiba purchases. I have enjoyed Cohiba Robustos with less than 3 years on them, but I concur with @RijkdeGooier that aged Cohiba cigars can be great.

• Like 3

I have 10 CoRos from 2010 are still napping deep down on the bottom of the piles I have in my humi... Maybe its time to revisit!! A lot of times I just stared at them and ended up smoking a RASS or SLR. That's why the CoRos are still there! I guess I did myself a favor by doing that!! ?

• Like 1

A few years ago, I snagged myself a box when stuck at Dubai for several hours (transit boredom is one of the worst threats to one's credit card, IMO).  Every nw and then, I treat myself to one, and yes, they are a great smoke.  What does put me off is the hype.  Fidel's own march, the best Cuba can offer ... and all too often, I see people choosing Cohibas in bars and lounges not because they really like the brand but because of the poseur effect.  Look at me, I smoke only the most expensive...

• Like 2

I do love Coros. I could give a shit about the band, hype, etc. Coros are typically perfectly rolled, have perfect draw and, more importantly, are a truly complex medium bodied smoke. I, fortunately, stocked up on them a year or so ago, before the recent price escalation. Recent production- 2014, 2015 (I haven't bought any newer boxes) are smoking well after 12-18 months, don't need years down like earlier vintages. Current prices reflect supply and demand at work in the marketplace. I do see how you either love them or don't get it. I do love them for a fortnightly treat.

5 hours ago, FLB03TT said:

I do love Coros. I could give a shit about the band, hype, etc. Coros are typically perfectly rolled, have perfect draw and, more importantly, are a truly complex medium bodied smoke. I, fortunately, stocked up on them a year or so ago, before the recent price escalation. Recent production- 2014, 2015 (I haven't bought any newer boxes) are smoking well after 12-18 months, don't need years down like earlier vintages. Current prices reflect supply and demand at work in the marketplace. I do see how you either love them or don't get it. I do love them for a fortnightly treat.

Generally speaking, I would agree with you on "I could give a shit about the band, hype, etc.".

What does annoy me is if and when others see what cigar I smoke or what watch I wear or what car I drive and then stuff me into the pigeonhole designed by that brand's marketing department.  We do live in a consumerist world, and we are judged by our consumption.  Each to their own, of course, but that sort of image does put me off certain choices in my own consumption.  

But then, in the case of cigars, I usually get around it by removing the band before I light the cigar...

;)

Good is good regardless of band--kinda like people. 

Life is short brotha. Smoke a few and see if you like 'em. Then you can yell at the rest of us for getting you hooked on them.

In my humble experience, Cohibas are unique. Unique flavor profile, unique aroma and unique funk. Definitely worth the expense to at least try them. 

• Like 4

I love them and think that they are wasted smoked too young. Also, they are much more $$ now than they were just a few years ago so it's harder  to justify the added expense. They are, as others have said, a treat or special occasion cigar but once a box is on I have trouble keeping my mitts of of it.

• Like 1

Not worth the coin, not worth the time. I say just leave them to rot....nobody should have to smoke this overpriced swill!

OK, move along now, nothing to see here.....

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Not worth the coin, not worth the time. I say just leave them to rot....nobody should have to smoke this overpriced swill!

OK, move along now, nothing to see here.....

ROTFLMAO!!!!

• Like 1