Cohiba Robustos

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

when I think of great cigars I have had.....one non descript CORO from a decade back I can recall as if I was smoking it now. One of the great cigars of my life. perfect 100 point cigar. Almonds/

Agreed with the collective wisdom here...   Having one right now as I type from 2011. Butter, salt, and hints of lemon grass. Just perfect. So mellow and relaxing. Cant ask for much more. 

I own a box. Why?  Because in my opinion they are often extraordinary and I look forward to having one every few months or so.  I have several boxes of Ex 4, RASS and Regios. Why? Because I think they

I'm smoking through a magnificent 2008 box right now. Entirely worth the coin, if patience to lay down for some time.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dimmers said:

I'm smoking through a magnificent 2008 box right now. Entirely worth the coin, if patience to lay down for some time.

How much life do you think the box still has? I have an opportunity to pick up either 2008 or a 2011 box. Debating on which would be better. 

13 minutes ago, Bohn007 said:

How much life do you think the box still has? I have an opportunity to pick up either 2008 or a 2011 box. Debating on which would be better. 

My cab - yeah some years yet to go easy in my view. Have also got a 2007 cab I haven't cracked as yet (but need to asap actually to see how it is going).

As to purchasing a box of this age now, depends on many variables such as provenance, box code etc. I wouldn't necessarily go for the older box just because its older (partic if the premium is more). Is there a way to test quality such as personally inspect the boxes, or failing that, getting pics of the individual boxes? Can the person selling give some view as to quality ?

Would much prefer going route of buying fresher stock, so I have a better idea as to quality upfront and lay it down myself.

• Like 1

These should I buy the cigars are they worth it how long should I age them questions always lead to the same place. In the next ten years you are going to have a collection of thirty boxes resting and aging  above and beyond the fifty or more that you have  bought and smoked.

16 hours ago, Bohn007 said:

The real question is, are they really that much better aged to be worth that 700-800$ pricetag???

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2016 at 4:54 PM, Hurltim said:

The real question is, are they really that much better aged to be worth that 700-800$ pricetag???

It's been several years since I smoked a CoRo, and I enjoyed it (as with all the Cohibas I have sampled).  Excellent smokes those Cohibas are.  However, when cost is factored into the equation I don't find them worth the premium they fetch over other brands that I enjoy.  When I can get an aged box of PSD4 (that blows me away) for significantly less money than a recent production box of CoRo I'll take that deal every time.         

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MahDooRow said:

It's been several years since I smoked a CoRo, and I enjoyed it (as with all the Cohibas I have sampled).  Excellent smokes those Cohibas are.  However, when cost is factored into the equation I don't find them worth the premium they fetch over other brands that I enjoy.  When I can get an aged box of PSD4 (that blows me away) for significantly less money than a recent production box of CoRo I'll take that deal every time.         

At $30 a stick, that's a serious chunk of change to me. It isn't out of line with the top shelf NC's like Padron or Opus but your only other option is to drop 400 bucks on a box of Coro's, sit on them for for 4 or so years then smoke them hard when they hit the sweet spot. I think some cigars are worth that time and patience, some maybe not so much and that depends entirely on your flavor preference. 

The other thing that I, and I think a few others don't have is a reference point to see if it is really worth the wait. Is an 08 Coro really so much better than a 1 year old? I can't answer that. I can say, that I have a total man-crush on the coro as-is. 

I am REALLY enjoying the sampling process and working my way through as many marcas and vitolas as the wifey lets me buy. I sit down with a pencil and paper and take notes of all the things I am tasting to see if I want to buy a box of it. Kinda ramps up my tasting skills. Right now, my money is best spent buying boxes of cigars I have tried and liked that smoke well right now. Buying boxes for aging will start once I get a good supply of ROTT cigars to keep me satisfied. 

BUT...Cohibas are rare so you grab them when you can.  

2 hours ago, Hurltim said:

The other thing that I, and I think a few others don't have is a reference point to see if it is really worth the wait. Is an 08 Coro really so much better than a 1 year old? I can't answer that. I can say, that I have a total man-crush on the coro as-is. 

I've not smoked a well aged CoRo, but I would bet that if you start with good CoRo and store them properly you will be handsomely rewarded in 6-8 years.  

• Like 2

Aged CoRos are awesome.  I have an unopened box that I purchased prior to the massive price gouging hike on all things Cohiba a few years back.  Sadly it was the last box of Cohiba I purchased and probably the last ever.  I cannot justify spending > $400 on a box of Robustos when average price seems to be closer to $200.  If money were not an issue I would not hesitate to buy another box but in the real world money does matter.  I will get more enjoyment out of a 50 count of RASS, BRC, PSD4, or Epi2.

• Like 1

On September 18, 2016 at 1:00 PM, Hurltim said:

At $30 a stick, that's a serious chunk of change to me. It isn't out of line with the top shelf NC's like Padron or Opus but your only other option is to drop 400 bucks on a box of Coro's, sit on them for for 4 or so years then smoke them hard when they hit the sweet spot. I think some cigars are worth that time and patience, some maybe not so much and that depends entirely on your flavor preference. 

I am REALLY enjoying the sampling process and working my way through as many marcas and vitolas as the wifey lets me buy. I sit down with a pencil and paper and take notes of all the things I am tasting to see if I want to buy a box of it. Kinda ramps up my tasting skills. Right now, my money is best spent buying boxes of cigars I have tried and liked that smoke well right now. Buying boxes for aging will start once I get a good supply of ROTT cigars to keep me satisfied. 

This is a good plan!

On 19/09/2016 at 6:51 AM, MahDooRow said:

I've not smoked a well aged CoRo, but I would bet that if you start with good CoRo and store them properly you will be handsomely rewarded in 6-8 years.  

Yes, there is a difference. Aged Cohiba Robustos reward you for your patience in how smooth they can be on the palate, thus enhancing the Cohiba profile flavours many of us here enjoy.

• Like 1

On 9/18/2016 at 11:00 AM, Hurltim said:

At $30 a stick, that's a serious chunk of change to me. It isn't out of line with the top shelf NC's like Padron or Opus but your only other option is to drop 400 bucks on a box of Coro's, sit on them for for 4 or so years then smoke them hard when they hit the sweet spot. I think some cigars are worth that time and patience...

There is a very simple logic to this. A couple options you could choose and here is one of them. 

1. Buy a box or CoRos now. Sample from that box maybe every 4-6 months. (Not hard if you have other cigars to smoke also.) This box at that rate will last ~8yrs

2. Buy a box of CoRos each year. Should be feasable with simple planning. 

3. Now that first box should be a gauge for you to see when you best like CoRos. It could be 6 months or 6 years, or 2 years. No one can decide but you. 

Repeat this cycle and you will always have CoRos aged to your liking. If you prefer to enjoy 1 coro a week, then buy two boxes a year. Adjust as necessary. 

Caveat being there is a level of discipline required (and storage needs) with this route.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bohn007 said:

Bought 4 boxes from various years over the last month. I am thinking that I should do a comparison review of the different vintages for everyone in a few weeks. 

That would be great!

11 hours ago, BEVOSREVENGE said:

I have a box of CoRo marked PGT ABR07.  They are hands down the best I have ever sampled.  

None since have come close, which is sad given the perfection of that one 2007 box. :blink:

I had a great box of SigloIV from '07. I think it may have been a great year for Cohiba.

Coro with 10 years plus of age is hard to beat. They have been great aging cigars for me. 

That  being said, recent production prices are up over 30% from last year. I have tried a bunch of different codes from 2015 and personally have not been impressed. The last good boxes I had was the 2014 MUO. Every year I buy a bunch and put them down but this far have stayed away from 2015 and 2016. 

They  have always been a cigar that needed 3 to 5 years to open up. But the 2013 and 2014 smoked excellent right out the box. Is it worth the high premium these days? To each his own. Personally at the moment I would rather have PSD4's or HDM Epi 2's for more then half the price. But if you can get a hold of a box with a few years of age on them, grabbed them.  The 2010's on back are really smoking well. 

• Like 1