Colin Kaepernick 49ers QB Bad Move

Talk about stupid.  This clown managed to make enemies of most NFL fans and even supporters of his own team.  His refusal to stand during the national anthem and then adding injury by wearing socks depicting police as pigs was insulting to all americans.  Real POS in my opinion.  I have friends who are police officers and all have either been shot or injured in the line of duty.  The vast majority of police officers out there are fine individuals who should be considered heros for what they face on a daily basis.  Unfortunately, every group has bad performers whether it be attorneys, doctors, garbage collectors or police.  Instead of saying all members of law enforcement are bad or pigs, look at each on a case by case basis.  We need to remember on 9-11 how the police and fire personnel selflessly worked to save others and even gave their lives without question.  Selfish wastes of human flesh like this millionaire Kaeperprick are far too self absorbed in making a statement that says 'look at me' .  Will be intersting to see how much love he gets when he needs to call the pigs - police when some paperazi trespasses on his property to get photos of him doing whatever it is he does.  Note that the local police department is considering boycotting all of the 49ers home games.  IMHO, the police should hold a nationwide boycott for 24 to 48 hours and not answer any calls.  Only then will this country regain the respect it should have for our first responders.  The saying needs to be ALL Lives Matter.  I'm sure most of us can agree with that.  OH yeah - fire his ass!!!

• Like 1

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First, let me say that I do not agree with his actions.  That said, I appreciate and respect the fact that we have the right to free speech and peaceful protest.  I don't always agree with people's id

I think the guy is just another opportunist playing the system. For the record, I never heard the of the guy before this dust-up. The professional sports universe can go to hell as far as I am co

Pretty standard dog whistle diversionary tactics on display in this thread.  Some of my favorites: Blacks are responsible for more black deaths than police Blacks commit a disproportionat

even if you are a superbowl winning, starting QB, it would be a stupid thing to do. when you are a flash-in-the-pan 2nd or 3rd backup, doesn't seem too smart.

i heard one player took the time to point out that it is because of people like the armed forces and police and what they have done that he can play sports for a living, as well as making millions.

if/when he is carried off after an injury, i think many in the stands, and in lounge rooms, will be quietly (if not cheering) thinking karma. it sounds like the sort of thing kyrgios would do. tomic would be too stupid to know what an anthem was.

• Like 1

Too many athletes and celebrities think they can use their public visibility to become overnight experts and influences on politics and other issues. If you make a dumba$$ move or statement to be seen.... then you better be ready to accept the full repercussions of your ignorant actions.

• Like 1

I don't like too much for what this guy is saying. But i love and treasure his right to say it.

Nothing is free. That includes freedom. This is its price, fools acting foolish.

But who really cares, people should have thicker skin, and not give credence to this kind of thing.

Enjoy your Saturday/Sunday smokes fellas :D

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jwr0201 said:

His refusal to stand during the national anthem and then adding injury by wearing socks depicting police as pigs was insulting to all americans.

It wasn't insulting to ALL Americans. Some people agree with his opinions and tactics.

Free speech is a two-way street.

• Like 3

I've always wondered why we play the National Anthem at big time sporting events. That said, he can do any thing he wants, it's a free country, right? What I think of his "protest" is my business. Like what he does influences my opinion. 

He is a joke.  Although he is becoming a more clever joke.  The 49ers as a team had a lot more faith in him in the past.  

I took a tour of the stadium just after it opened and in a place of prominence in a "club" section of the stadium were three photos.  One of him, one of Montana, and one of Young.  I was not the one that raised the question but it was raised..."why is he on that wall?"  The reply by the tour guide was "because he is one of three QBs to take the team to the Super Bowl."  There was grumbling..."the other two won their bowl games...maybe he should be on that wall when he wins one too."  The tour guide intimated that that was THE biggest and most repeated complaint he heard about the entire stadium since the tours had begun.  This was a year or two ago.

it is no secret that 49er fans have no faith in him as a starting QB.  He made a stink about Coach Harbaugh and got him out of the organization...as if Harbaugh was holding him back.  Now he can't even get close to a bowl game.

It is no secret that he doesn't want to play for the 9ers as he's tried to get other teams to pick him up...and they haven't.

i imagine this may be a more nuanced approach to get the 49ers to let him go.  Even if they did, where is he going?  The Canadian league???  I don't think another NFL team would want him...and especially not as a starter.  And him making this stink isn't making him any more attractive to other teams.

Lastly, when someone can't get the job done and makes a stink over something else...that's called a red herring.  It clearly smells like bad fish.

• Like 1

Oh, and about the freedom of speech issue.

I appreciate his use of it...not that I appreciate what he has to say.  But as the old adage goes...better to keep your mouth shut than to open it and remove all doubt.

He HAS removed all doubt.

• Like 2

Free Speech is a great thing.  It theoretically allows people to say what they want without being persecuted by the government.  When someone takes advantage of their first amendment right it does not protect them from monetary effects of a capitalist society.  I am grateful that I am allowed to use my free speech to call him an idiot and vow to never spend any of my money on anything he represents.  My confusion is how he can protest the thing that actually gives him the right to protest.  Kids these days.

• Like 3

Freedom of speech means no one is allowed to use force to stop or prohibit it. It does not mean that you are protected from criticism, ridicule or ostracism for the things that you say, or be sanctioned by your employer for said things.

It's just too bad that ignorant, mis-educated public figures don't use stunts like this to bring attention to the real ills of society that people don't talk about instead of the same old tired liberal talking points. You're not a pioneer or trailblazer when you just parrot Huffington Post and Daily Kos. 

• Like 2

Kap has every right to espouse his disgust for what he sees as injustice of black and other colored folks by police officers just as much as the white men who've never even been subjected to discrimination have the right to stand on their soap box and bad mouth a guy who actually is utilizing his celebrity/forum to discuss an issue.  I'll remind you that Ali was not regarded as a hero by the majority when he began engaging in civil disobedience.

Seems to me like some of you have not even taken the time to actually listen to Kap's views on the issue, not to mention his respect for men and women in military service.  Plus the guy can still play NFL QB.  He will replace Gabbert by game 4 or 5.  

• Like 3

He is not required to stand and I have zero problem with him sitting - media coverage is what it is. But by his actions and words he's shown he believes the country and anthem to represent government and government agencies. I believe the country to be her people and the anthem to represent us. So, I believe his actions and words to reflect on him and not me.

That said, it is inarguable that police have murdered / executed people who have been subdued and were no longer a threat.

• Like 1

Seems to me like some of you have not even taken the time to actually listen to Kap's views on the issue, not to mention his respect for men and women in military service.  Plus the guy can still play NFL QB.  He will replace Gabbert by game 4 or 5.  

Respect towards others? Right...

I don't believe what people always say in front of the cameras... but would rather see how they act when not in front of the press.
db0aa5e9f5be12bd1bdc7b48d63ce916.jpg

There is a growing number Americans who believe that the pensions of policemen across the nation are a bane to the economies of many states across the US which warrant the term PIG. While their need in our communities is undoubted, police pensions alone are a huge burden to state budgets.  But back to  Kaepernick's socks, which he wore before his taking a seat during the anthem, they only add to his criticism of those police whom he believes wield their badges in a way that doesn't comport with the tenets of the bill of rights.  

Honestly, to me it seemed that when the NBA guys were protesting this issue no one cared as much compared to this NFL player.    Now the question is what will Kap do next to truly effect change....and police saying they will boycott or not serve their communities is BS.  Clearly there is a problem, if they cared they should try to come to a resolution.   There is an opportunity to ideally do something good here...ideally. 

• Like 1

Yes to Free Speech.  Yes to Colin is a self absorbed idiot.  And they really ought to call them the Santa Clara 49ers, not San Francisco.

We do have a problem in the U.S. with police training and tactics, but that problem is not visited dis-proportionally on any one community.  60 years ago, the police were generally trained to control a situation out of respect.  For example, I remember traffic stops where it was entirely acceptable to get out of your car to discuss the matter with the officer (yeah, I tend to drive fast :P ), however since then police training has emphasized intimidation as a method for controlling every and all situations.  One certainly wouldn't even think about getting out of the drivers seat today, nor even remove your hands from the wheel as the officer questions you from your left rear quarter, ready to draw at any twitch. Likewise the proliferation of SWAT teams in all major cities has militarized the police and perhaps help draw to it a collection of personalities with serious hostility issues (to any and all races).  In part this is reflective of the irrational hyper-arming of American citizens (thank you NRA :thinking: ).  I do not intend this to be a universal generalization, but it seems a common one to me.  There are lots of exceptions of course: I remember a few years back when a crazy drunk dude pulled a wicked big knife in one of the bars in my neighborhood; one of San Francisco's finest just happened to be within ear shot on foot patrol and the officer never pulled his gun but rather waded into the situation at great risk to himself and disarmed the guy by hand.  Likewise my brother-in-law (a deputy sheriff) has suffered broken bones successfully subduing suspects by hand rather than draw his sidearm.  So there are lawmen doing their best at this, but my sense remains that the transition to 'overwhelming' force has meant that that force gets used.  

Is it too often used?  Hard to say.  We are a long way from the stereotypical English Bobby of yesteryear.  Suffice to say that the biggest cause of violent death among blacks in the U.S. is black-on-black violence.  Police are about 0.6% of the rest, and it is in proportion to the rate of crime.  And when they shoot a suspect, those suspects come from all races in proportion to their participation in the crime rate.  An officer is more likely to be shot, than do the shooting.

So Colin is guilty of buying into the unfortunate narrative spun in the Press, and making a big stink over something he's not thought through critically.  That's lazy, political grandstanding in my book by an undeservedly big ego.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, RijkdeGooier said:

Strange but I come here for cigar related stuff. Kap ain't a cigar smoker.

Besides, I thought there was a NO POLITICS especially US POLITICS policy on this forum? Maybe be just me but I don't have a need to see this on a cigar board.

After reading the whole thread, I have to agree.  MODS, if this thread beats itself to death, put a lock on it and let's go back to talking about our CIGAR passion! The news media is all over this story, we don't need to be! Cheers!

• Like 1

17 hours ago, topdiesel said:

My confusion is how he can protest the thing that actually gives him the right to protest.  Kids these days.

That's an easy one. He does not have the right to protest because of some flag, some song or the neo-colonial actions of brainwashed grunts. Moreover, he does not have this right because of the lofty concepts those symbols represent. Like all human beings, he can exercise freedom on a whim. No one gave him that ability, unless you count the Creator. There ARE plenty of organizations that attempt to take credit for creating this "safe space."

Police brutality, extra-judicial killing and militarization have been problems for decades, especially among "minorities." Companies... I mean countries... have a vested interest in maintaining this status quo and have acted against public welfare far too often.

He's playing football on land that was stolen from its rightful caretakers through violence and dishonesty, anyway. The emperor wears no clothes.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, hjmclain22 said:

There is a growing number Americans who believe that the pensions of policemen across the nation are a bane to the economies of many states across the US which warrant the term PIG. While their need in our communities is undoubted, police pensions alone are a huge burden to state budgets.  But back to  Kaepernick's socks, which he wore before his taking a seat during the anthem, they only add to his criticism of those police whom he believes wield their badges in a way that doesn't comport with the tenets of the bill of rights.  

Honestly, to me it seemed that when the NBA guys were protesting this issue no one cared as much compared to this NFL player.    Now the question is what will Kap do next to truly effect change....and police saying they will boycott or not serve their communities is BS.  Clearly there is a problem, if they cared they should try to come to a resolution.   There is an opportunity to ideally do something good here...ideally. 

Interesting reading.  I was wondering about a few of your points.

1.  Police pensions bankrupting state budgets warranting the term PIG.  

If politicians were responsible with public funds (our tax dollars) then perhaps we wouldn't be experiencing such economic issues.  In California, we are building a high speed train system...its starting in Bakersfield (the Govener's legacy project).  If police pensions alone were responsible then I see your point.  San Jose politicians said there was a need to build a new city hall (the mayor's legacy) which cost $750 million.  He has his name on a plaque and we're stuck with the bill.  

I agree that pensions cost a lot of money...I agree a solution should be found.  How bout this, if you work in the government in an air conditioned office you don't get a pension.  If you run into a burning building or into harms way and are required to wear a bullet resistant vest as part of your employment you do...otherwise how do you encourage someone to do such a dangerous profession?  In my community if you are a two term city council person you get a pension...8 years and bam!!!  

Every police officer I've spoken to recognizes there is a need to reform to the system...because when they retire they want their pension check to show up and not get an IOU.

2. The socks.  He's painting with a broad brush.  Bad cops laugh at the socks, good cops are insulted.  It would seem to me that if he wanted to promote change he would speak against bad cops and praise the good ones.

3. Cops boycotting is BS. You are correct...and that is illegal.  No blue flu.

However, police are not required to provide security for a football game.  NFL teams contract police officers for security because they are more effective than security guards...but it is not a requirement.  If I find out that an employer has an employee that insults me...I can make the choice of not contracting with that company.

If anyone has five minutes to spare, you may want to take the time to watch the below linked video from Prager University.

Here's hoping for clarity on the subject and working together for solutions that have positive results.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, StumpyJoe said:

Interesting reading.  I was wondering about a few of your points.

1.  Police pensions bankrupting state budgets warranting the term PIG.  

If politicians were responsible with public funds (our tax dollars) then perhaps we wouldn't be experiencing such economic issues.  In California, we are building a high speed train system...its starting in Bakersfield (the Govener's legacy project).  If police pensions alone were responsible then I see your point.  San Jose politicians said there was a need to build a new city hall (the mayor's legacy) which cost $750 million.  He has his name on a plaque and we're stuck with the bill.  

I agree that pensions cost a lot of money...I agree a solution should be found.  How bout this, if you work in the government in an air conditioned office you don't get a pension.  If you run into a burning building or into harms way and are required to wear a bullet resistant vest as part of your employment you do...otherwise how do you encourage someone to do such a dangerous profession?  In my community if you are a two term city council person you get a pension...8 years and bam!!!  

Every police officer I've spoken to recognizes there is a need to reform to the system...because when they retire they want their pension check to show up and not get an IOU.

2. The socks.  He's painting with a broad brush.  Bad cops laugh at the socks, good cops are insulted.  It would seem to me that if he wanted to promote change he would speak against bad cops and praise the good ones.

3. Cops boycotting is BS. You are correct...and that is illegal.  No blue flu.

However, police are not required to provide security for a football game.  NFL teams contract police officers for security because they are more effective than security guards...but it is not a requirement.  If I find out that an employer has an employee that insults me...I can make the choice of not contracting with that company.

If anyone has five minutes to spare, you may want to take the time to watch the below linked video from Prager University.

Here's hoping for clarity on the subject and working together for solutions that have positive results.

good post.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NYgarman said:

After reading the whole thread, I have to agree.  MODS, if this thread beats itself to death, put a lock on it and let's go back to talking about our CIGAR passion! The news media is all over this story, we don't need to be! Cheers!

This is NOT a US politics thread.  Also, the description of this sub-forum says talk about what you like.  There have been other sports a$$hole related threads.  Who are you to tell the mods to remove this thread anyway?  If you don't like it, don't read it and don't participate.

• Like 1