Your best flu remedies

For some reason Summer always nearly kills me, during winter I'm fresh as a daisy but the second the sun wakes up in spring is the start of 6 months if colds, flu and general misery!

I just got back from a kids birthday party, cooked dinner then when, fever, headache the lot. Looking back the thing has been creeping up on me for a few days, so what's your best tried and tested flu cures?

Currently I'm keeping drinking water up and paracetamol regular. I thought I'd been doing well with zinc supplements every other day, keeping colds etc at bay. Apparently not :D

Just no cures involving apple cyder vinegar... :blink:

Take gummy vitamins. They are like candy. My nurse of a sister says 2 is enough because you'll pee out the rest. But when you aren't feeling right I take 5 or 6 twice a day. Damn the pee. The I'll chug 2 glasses of orange juice twice a day. I just went through the same thing myself. I was feeling a cold coming on and this always helps. Sleep an hour or 2 more than you usually do

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Regular diet with lots of fresh veggies, fruits and oj.  Be sure to have an annual flu vaccination.  If you're already ill, lots of vitamin C.  

Influenza and the common cold are two very different beasts. A cold makes you snotty and sneezy for a couple of days. Take cold remedies to mask the symptoms and let it run it's course. Man up and you'll be fine soon enough.
The flu kills people. Basic symptoms start like a cold but with flu you ache all over, can't move, sweaty, feel cold to the bones, want to die. Basically, it's bloody awful. It can last a week or more. No known cure, though you can get a preventative jab (which in the UK is free to the elderly, pregnant and very young). I had flu once 30 years ago and have never claimed to have it when I've got a cold ever since. People who say they have "a touch of flu" have a cold, end of. Lots of water, eat what you can, ride that mother out. Seek medical help for high strength meds to alleviate the symptoms.
Dr Akela

Edit: Just seen the advice from Dr Fuzz and completely concur.
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Akela3rd said:

Basic symptoms start like a cold but with flu you ache all over, can't move, sweaty, feel cold to the bones, want to die. .

That's my weekend!

I've managed to assemble (via the missus) ginger tea, orange juice, grapes, fever relief tonic and Kit Kat's. I even made it down the stairs earlier on my hands and knees :D the problem is going to be getting back up them after Saving Private Ryan

That's my weekend!

I've managed to assemble (via the missus) ginger tea, orange juice, grapes, fever relief tonic and Kit Kat's. I even made it down the stairs earlier on my hands and knees the problem is going to be getting back up them after Saving Private Ryan

Scotch! And bed down on the sofa. Get well soon fella!

• Like 2

ahoy capn, i had the flu last week. i became an expert at picking up The Flu (as opposed to cold viruses to which i'm surprisingly resilient) probably due to a bad case of tonselitis left untreated when i was a student aeons ago and a crap immune system. got to the point where i was having 2-3 a year (no exaggeration) so i started the annual vaccinations. Now i only get one at most, at the very end of our flu season (one of the strains not accounted for in the vaccinations).

the other thing i've found is that 1000-1500mgs Vit C (the type with bioflavonoids to assist absorption) 3 times a day when you first feel under attack from a mild virus can sometimes avoid things altogether, and seems to at least moderate the intensity of a stronger virus such as flu. 

but once you have one, there is no miracle cure that i know of ... keep really warm, lay low, drink large amounts of fluid and take the usual suspects (eat garlic, citrus fruit, etc etc). fever is good to kill off the virus so don't take strong antipyretics or try to cool yourself down... that's the sum total of my wisdom

get well!

• Like 1

I'm over the worst of it now thankfully, I've progressed from the hands and knees drag to the Ozzy Osborne shuffle!

Just drunk loads of water, forced myself to keep eating, tried to sleep as much, ginger and green tea with honey, paracetamol, fresh orange, regular vitamin tablets

I thought my much had ran out for this year after pneumonia already :cofcig:

1 hour ago, CaptainQuintero said:

I'm over the worst of it now thankfully, I've progressed from the hands and knees drag to the Ozzy Osborne shuffle!

Just drunk loads of water, forced myself to keep eating, tried to sleep as much, ginger and green tea with honey, paracetamol, fresh orange, regular vitamin tablets

I thought my much had ran out for this year after pneumonia already :cofcig:

See? There's your problem. You drank lots of water. Everyone know that water has lots of impurities, whereas Scotch is 40% alcohol (and 60% tasty). And we all know that alcohol kills bacteria.

• Like 2

This one helps me dealing with the flu:

Cut up some ginger root and slice up a lemon and put it a cup.  Boil water and fill the cup.   Cover the cup and let steep for a while.  Add some honey to taste.  Drink as often as you like, the more the better.  Watch out though this will make you sweat.

• Like 1

If it's a sore throat, I usually put a clove of garlic when I start feeling it and leave it there until I basically got all the juice out and repeat. Colds are usually much milder or just don't start when I do this. or the flu, it helps a bit but not as much.

Guest Robusto 107
7 hours ago, RijkdeGooier said:

Drink as much fluid as you can hold,  water, green tea with honey, ginger and a drop of whiskey or chicken soup. 

Go under the covers and sweat it out. No fever meds if you can stand the fever. 

Chicken soup but must filter out the oil ! Remove the skin and fat before cooking the soup

Scotch +1. Don't waste the good stuff when you're ill. Cheap and cheerful. Or a Hot Toddy. Scotch or brandy into a coffee cup with honey, hot water and lemon juice and a tea bag. Rest. Get well soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lots of hippy medicine in here! ;)

My cold/flu relief is to go to the doctor and get a huge bottle of codiene cough syrup. It might not make the flu go away but it sure makes me feel good. Stay on the couch for a couple of days until you run out and you should be good to go! :)

On September 5, 2016 at 2:23 PM, Akela3rd said:

Influenza and the common cold are two very different beasts. A cold makes you snotty and sneezy for a couple of days. Take cold remedies to mask the symptoms and let it run it's course. Man up and you'll be fine soon enough.
The flu kills people. Basic symptoms start like a cold but with flu you ache all over, can't move, sweaty, feel cold to the bones, want to die. Basically, it's bloody awful. It can last a week or more. No known cure, though you can get a preventative jab (which in the UK is free to the elderly, pregnant and very young). I had flu once 30 years ago and have never claimed to have it when I've got a cold ever since. People who say they have "a touch of flu" have a cold, end of. Lots of water, eat what you can, ride that mother out. Seek medical help for high strength meds to alleviate the symptoms.
Dr Akela emoji40.png

Edit: Just seen the advice from Dr Fuzz and completely concur.

Great post above. I've had influenza twice. Last time was 16 years ago. It is not a cold. One way to tell if it's the flu, besides going to the doctor, is influenza comes on fast. Go to bed coming down with a little something, wake up feeling like you've been hit with a bag of bricks thinking death might not be too bad. That's what my Doc told me. Sore throat, body aches, fever, and chills. The best thing 'Ive had for flu is real, old fashioned, perscription codeine cough syrup. It stops the hacking cough that keeps one up all night and lets one get some rest while you fight off the sickness. Most of the over the counter stuff is worthless. I always get a flu shot since I had that last bout. It took the better part of three weeks to run it's course.