starbucks in australia

Thanks Fugu but truth be told it was a typo so anone who has some  "knickers in a bunch" or

"out of shape" relax and have a shot (EXPRESSO) on me.  Remember no milk and make

sure you at least have 1/16th + / - of crema on top!  Cao gents!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My friends in Oz: Please, teach someone at Charbucks how to roast coffee. Send them back to the States so that they can teach others! If you are going to kick them out, fine! Just teach them some

Brilliant article Ken, thanks for sharing! As the co-owner of an independent coffee shop here in London, and employing almost exclusively Aussie baristas, I can totally see why Starbucks just hasn't w

"Charbucks" - so true and I love it. Their stuff just tastes burnt, period.

I like Starbucks, but i don't buy any eckschpresso drinks - bold hot or an iced coffee, add some half and half, and I'm good to go. By the by, anyone who adds sugar to their coffee - any style of coffee, but especially espresso, is a eunuch.

:lol3:

( yes, the sugar bit is a joke, eunuchs....)

Colt45  I guess you don't get out very often.  If you did you would know how it is done

in the "old world" when it comes to the subject matter old chap.

10 hours ago, topdiesel said:

Their coffee is garbage, but they are everywhere.  I would not underestimate the influence of Starbucks in Australia.  Somehow, the haters will be replaced by folks who like to "show off" that they are paying a premium for their terrible coffee.  The next phase is to introduce Dutch Brother's Coffee which reduces the coffee and quadruples the amount of sugar and doubles the serving size.  

To be honest, I don't think anyone in Australia would try to show off that they buy Starbucks. They'd be laughed at quite quickly. The only thing Starbucks has done to Australian coffee culture, is boost local cafe business. The number of local coffee franchises dwarfs Starbucks' 23 national stores (they had to shut 60 stores). Starbucks franchises in Australia got bought out by The Withers Group in 2014, owners of 7-Eleven in Australia.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

To be honest, I don't think anyone in Australia would try to show off that they buy Starbucks. They'd be laughed at quite quickly. The only thing Starbucks has done to Australian coffee culture, is boost local cafe business. The number of local coffee franchises dwarfs Starbucks' 23 national stores (they had to shut 60 stores). Starbucks franchises in Australia got bought out by The Withers Group in 2014, owners of 7-Eleven in Australia.

Completely agree with @Fuzz 

Starbucks actually promote local cafes that do make a great coffee by setting the benchmark at what coffee shouldn't taste like ;)

2 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Agreed.

In my observation, when it comes to showing off, one-upmanship and outright snobbery, the mere price-related conspicuous consumption of any Starbucks product is outgunned and outsnobbed by the appeal of insider knowledge.  Simply going to a small café to order your preferred dose of caffeine already demonstrates a preference for the "superior" hand-crafted coffee versus the "big bad" American chain -- a choice of high snob value.  Then make sure to causally mention a few different roasts, maybe a comment about the latest rare single-estate bean (the Colombian San Agustin really is the best, by the bye) and drop the brand name (and model!) of your grinder/machine combo into the conversation, and you get to sneer down at Starbucks customers from a very great height.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fuzz said:

I hope things continue down that path.  I also wouldn't mind seeing starbucks influence dwindle away here in the USA as well.  I prefer to support local craft roasteries.

Why the hate for the "bucks".  Is it really about the taste of thier product or some hate about bucks the culture.

Or does it go much deeper.  If so then I guess it is the fact that they have made a good living on average coffee

starting as a little "start uP" and found huge success while some (people / companies)

have wasted thier time at a dead end job or worse a industry that is going know where.

I'm neither for nor against "bucks" could give a rats ass if they fail or make it.

Just wish I had some of that "bucks" moola in my bank account.  If I/you bought stock way back

when you/we could retire by now I'm sure.  Not sure though if they ever had an IPO.

Do not follow "bucks" stock very closely.  Cao

Totally agree, great article.  Best coffees I have had were in Europe.  Italian cafes are the absolute best for walking up to the bar and ordering an expresso lungo.  Hate Starbucks and the most of the culture built around it.

Why the hate for the "bucks".  Is it really about the taste of thier product or some hate about bucks the culture.

Or does it go much deeper.  If so then I guess it is the fact that they have made a good living on average coffee

starting as a little "start uP" and found huge success while some (people / companies)

have wasted thier time at a dead end job or worse a industry that is going know where.

I'm neither for nor against "bucks" could give a rats ass if they fail or make it.

Just wish I had some of that "bucks" moola in my bank account.  If I/you bought stock way back

when you/we could retire by now I'm sure.  Not sure though if they ever had an IPO.

Do not follow "bucks" stock very closely.  Cao

For me, it is absolutely, 100% the taste. I can only applaud their success as a company. Yes, they had an IPO - otherwise they couldn't be traded on a stock exchange.

The location they used to have INSIDE the forbidden city in Beijing was a bit much, though ;)

18 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

For me, it is absolutely, 100% the taste. I can only applaud their success as a company. Yes, they had an IPO - otherwise they couldn't be traded on a stock exchange.

The location they used to have INSIDE the forbidden city in Beijing was a bit much, though ;)

Agree. I wouldn't mind them if the served good coffee. Hell, I buy coffee (espresso, cappuccinos, mochas, etc) from franchise coffee shops all the time, but they serve great tasting coffee.

What I find annoying is people calling these high sugar, weird-arse flavoured drinks "coffee". A friend was telling me about this Dunkin Donuts iced coffee that she loves. It contains 6 shots of caramel and 6 shots of coconut with extra cream. I asked her if it came with a free diabetes medical alert bracelet.