New Cohiba band fake.

Hard to tell from the photos. The "fingerprint" is much clearer on the bottom band, but the colors don't seem as rich. Also a photo thing, but it looks like me like the top band may not be embossed, if so game over. The bleeding or worn looking font of the bottom example is not something I have seen before though.

Im going to guess the top one is Real, I went back and forth though. Many of the details in the lower one actually look a bit too "clear" to be real. 

I would guess the top one is fake. I believe the Cohiba is flat and not raised like it should be. Also the hologram on the bottom one looks more centered than the hologram on the top.

Also the gold band on the top one only says Cohiba. Whereas, the gold band on the bottom one says Cohiba and Cuba. 

Fun game!!

Edit: just realized both bands have the alternating cohiba Cuba. No one ever accused me of being smart :)

Edited by MooseAMuffin

I really want to know which one is fake lol.  I agree with SAXMAN, Lettering looks weird on bottom, the head could just be quality control but the white dots (bottom band) under the top hologram seem to be cut through while the (topband) has perfect spacing throughout all white dots.

Bottom font is typical fake craptastic printing.. Could spot that from a mile off. Cohiba font is always clean, crisp and shining like new money! bet these came in a verah naaaaaace glass top box too!

The bottom is the fake one.  The top one is real.  Even though it didn't come across in the scan, the embossing is there.  On the left hand side there should be a RG# but it got stuck to the back when I peeled it apart and that's why it doesn't show.  The horrible positioning and gold leaf bleed on the bottom one is the dead giveaway. Also, the backs are different. The top one has more of a paper feel, while the bottom one has a slightly glossy sheen.  Can someone else post a good pic or scan of a legit band too?  I don't have many of these laying around.

3 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

The bottom is the fake one.  The top one is real.  Even though it didn't come across in the scan, the embossing is there.  On the left hand side there should be a RG# but it got stuck to the back when I peeled it apart and that's why it doesn't show.  The horrible positioning and gold leaf bleed on the bottom one is the dead giveaway. Also, the backs are different. The top one has more of a paper feel, while the bottom one has a slightly glossy sheen.  Can someone else post a good pic or scan of a legit band too?  I don't have many of these laying around.

Ok, too late....

But there are even much more definite characteristics, than the bleed. The "bleed" (actually, not a bleed, but the gold foil not coming off accurately) could even potentially happen in a legit one.

1 minute ago, bundwallah said:

just for the science :-) sake, the band "texture" it's not a giveaway, i think habanos changed the band texture, the older ones are as you say more a thick paper feel and the new ones are thinner a glossy plastic feel. 

The bottom is holographic? I never see a Cohiba Sublimes band (55-60 ring gauge), but i don't think both are real...the C in the "Cuba" is off a bit too.

• Like 1

I'm also going with the bottom being fake.  The COHIBA lettering looks horrible.  The holographic strips have no depth.  The head is also poorly positioned within the white space, it has an eye that's not supposed to be there and it also contains incorrect line detail.  

• 1 year later...
6 hours ago, bknaka said:

The reason why I ask is I recently got these. They were purchased from a reputable retailer. I was wondering if cohiba would these to get through their quality control 

20180424_113821.jpg

A reputable dealer wouldn’t sell fakes.  Quality control and Cuba are not synonymous.  ?. The band looks fine to me.  You’ll know as soon as you smoke the cigar.

All I can say is they keep getting better at it and discussions about what's not quite right just give them clues to improving the counterfeits. I believe there's a group on FB that intentionally asks about whether a band looks fake or not....

• Like 1

I’m by no means a band forensic expert - not even close - but something else stood out to me i. The bottom band. The lines of the ‘cohiba/cuba’ lettering on the top and bottom are not parallel to the adjacent sections. In the top band, they’re parallel. 

8CD2516E-8CE2-4ACF-859B-E3FC14D6919E.png

7 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

I’m by no means a band forensic expert - not even close - but something else stood out to me i. The bottom band. The lines of the ‘cohiba/cuba’ lettering on the top and bottom are not parallel to the adjacent sections. In the top band, they’re parallel. 

8CD2516E-8CE2-4ACF-859B-E3FC14D6919E.png

The colour bleeding around the 'Cohiba' letters should tell you all you need to know imho