Singles Drawer

Did a lengthy search, found a bit of information on this topic, but I wanted to do a new topic and find out what everyone's current views are.  I have 2 Cabinet Humidors which have a total of 3 singles drawers.  Right now they are practically full.  These are not cigars I plan on aging past a year.  I will smoke them or trade them by then.  This evening was the first time I actually over thought things too much.  I went to toss a couple sticks in there and realized maybe I don't want them touching some of my "higher end " singles.  As dumb as it sounds I couldnt put a Quintero Favoritos in the space created between a CORO and a La Escepcion Don Jose RE.  What to do..

My question is how do you divide your singles drawer?   What have you found yourself?  I've had singles in and out of a singles drawer many times but I don't think I've ever had this many singles at one time?  I'm an admitted Split Junkie!  Right now mine are stacked 3 deep at least in every drawer and kind of mismatched with this touching that-do you match them by Marca, or size?  Any advice appreciated.  Thanks!!

I have ten separate sections in the drawer of my cabinet. I don't mix the CC with the NC's but I have Epicure #2's with Montecristo #2's and RYJ with Cohiba. Since I do not plan on aging them there, I think that it is no big deal. And trying to smoke the NC's faster just to make room for more cc's from Rob

8 hours ago, zeedubbya said:

This evening was the first time I actually over thought things too much.

Yep, it seems you did. 

I like to keep it simple. I store my CC in cabinet boxes as much as possible, the ones with unfinished open grain. I consolidate based on size as boxes get depleted. I label the cigars with date and pedigree, and even put labels on the outside so I know what I have in there just by peeking in. I don't go through that much trouble with NC, those I throw into a cabinet without specific labelling, or they go to my end-table humi with 2 levels all mixed together.

I store all of my cigars in my non-air conditioned basement. I don't let it get below 65 degrees in winter but have little control in summer and it occasionally gets up to near 80 degrees. I know I'm at risk for a beetle outbreak at times but it usually doesn't stay that hot for very long and most everything I get comes from FOH or a similar trusted vendor. I have not ever had a beetle problem in the three summer seasons I've been buying CCs. My stock is mostly regular production and I have no fresh, farm, or customs. If I ever get any I will freeze them before adding them to my stock.

I have 5 storage units:

A large tupperdor which holds about 15 boxes. This is full of the cigars I am aging long term, stored in their original boxes at 66% RH with HCM beads, which are steady as a rock.

A Whynter prefab cigar cooler which holds another 12 or 13 boxes, no singles. I've removed one of the drawers and one shelf so I can keep cabs in there. I have been unhappy with this unit because the thermostat has gotten stuck at 62 degrees and no matter what I do if I turn it on the RH won't get above 58 or 60% which I think is too low. So I've unplugged it and it sits at a steady 64% RH also with HCM beads. Again, no singles in there, just boxes.

I have 2 smaller count humidors which hold all of the NCs I have, maybe 75 cigars total, all thrown together with no thought given to organization. Once in a while I open one up and smoke an NC, but that is a fairly rare occurrence. 65% Bovedas in those.

And finally a large wooden Tampa Footlocker which holds about 6 or 8 dress boxes, a couple of 8-9-8 boxes, and a cab of 2010 LGC Triunfos on the bottom under 2 singles shelves. This one sits at a steady 65% with Bovedas. I use the singles shelves to hold a regular rotation of cigars I plan to smoke within the next couple of months, drawn from the cooler and underneath. Each shelf has a divider and I try and keep cigars with similar profiles together on those shelves (Partagas with Upmann, Montes with Punch, LGC with Cohiba, etc). They don't stay on the shelves for very long so I don't worry about oils melding or flavors crossing over.

I wish I had more space to be selective but I dont!  I am cramming sticks everywhere I can in my two wineadors and now am sending boxes to the OLH.  If flavors blend then so be it, that is like a turducken!  Not a singular flavor but a melange that surpases them all individually! 

14 minutes ago, jdouglas said:

i know it might sound crazy but if you cut each single so that it is exactly 2.95 inches long you won't have to worry about the dreaded transference of tobacco from one tobacco stick to another tobacco stick.  sounds wacky, i know, but if you think about it long enough it makes sense that the competitive nature of the cigars is negated when they are all they same length.  you should try it.

Does it work for nc's too?

I have 2 X 100 count humis one cc one one nc which have a middle shelf dividing in each . where possible I simply put the maduros and stronger cigars together on the bottom and the milder medium on the tops, easy ...... To be honest though I don't think it's doing anything this whole transfer thing, pfffft - smoke em fellas !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All in all the answers I was expecting.  I am sure I saw a video a while back where a guy was showing off a cigar collection and he had quite a few REs and LEs and aged stock wrapped up individually or at least together with others so as to separate the singles from each other.  Seemed ridiculous to me at the time but now that I have singles stacked 3-4 high in multiple humidors it doesn't seem so strange I guess.  Done overthinking it because I am most assuredly too lazy to wrap them individually :D.  Thanks for all the responses--I appreciate your opinions.  

I keep Cubans separate from NC sticks. I have one large level in my cabinet with 7 sections so I rate their quality and go left to right. (High to low and C vs NC) I have never had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say unless you're dealing with Acids, Lars Tetens and the like, or worried about bugs there's not much to be concerned about.

I segregate my singles drawers by like type. I acquired plenty of fivers and teners in years past.  As I am way past that phase now it is unusual for me to not have boxes unless I have arranged a trade.

Just so it is easier to locate something I tend to keep them together.  I don't do it to keep NC's and CC's separate in the singles drawers.

I do have two humi's in which I keep one or the other unless there is some overflow.

HI all,

Just to say that I don't have my N.C.'s and my Cubans together. Singles and boxes. I have a humidor for single N.C.s

and a big one for my single Cubans. I also have one big coolidor for my N.C. boxes and 2 big coolidors for my

Cuban boxes. I don't mix my Cubans and my N.C.'s ,Why ?  Because they are different tobacoos and the smell and 

the blends are not the same.Not because of the humidty, one smell Is very peppery and one smell Is very Woody with time.

But everyone does what they feel Is right for them,      Right ?

Amicalement,

Guy

Like most I keep my NC and CC in separate humidors but as for splitting them up based on cost/brand/flavour profile, I do not.

Two singles trays which hold 30-40 each. Top tray is for smoking now, bottom tray is for anything that needs a bit of rest or when nothing up top catches my eye. If the LEs are touching the RGs I don't bat an eye.

I don't keep NC cigars with any desire to persevere them so I cannot comment on that. Yes I have a few, decades old, or items that might have come from a Big Smoke or some such nonsense many years ago.

So how do I keep my singles. Well, luckily the factory has provided a rather neat way to keep the tobacco separate, it is called the binder and wrapper!!! I use the binder and wrapper of one cigar, to make sure that the filler does not 'mingle' the the filler of the other cigars... ! -LOL Pretty funny how well it works to!

When did cigars get so picky, that they don't want to share space? PC's front and robustos to the back of the bus...! Naw, I don't get the practice...

I can see some about wanting to identify your cigars but little else. Frankly, I care less about identification these days as well. Once the box is less than half full, it gets dumped. What year they are, what factory code they came from, I could not give a shit about! Tracking all that crap gets dumped with the cigars. All that matters is that they taste good and when I go to pick one, it is based on the size cigar I want to smoke.

I have no illusions about commingling. All this record keeping, wrapping, playing around with cigars is a thing of the past for me. Instead I beat around in the shop and screw around with humidors. Yeah, I have the same neural network hangups, just different substrates to focus them on!!!

Cheers! -Piggy

I wouldn't put an Acid, MUWAT KFC or Lars Teten in the same zip code as anything I'd want to smoke.

Beyond that I really wouldn't be concerned otherwise unless worried about bugs....