Do you know this rum?

Webbo

4 hours ago, Webbo said:

A gift from a colleague for my 50th Birthday. I cannot really find any information on it. Can anyone enlighten me please?

image.jpeg

basically, i think it is three mates who buy rums and then age them via solera system. and by shipping them around the world on boats. so each is different. you can goggle them - tres hombres rum (http://www.treshombres-rum.com). they are quite limited and perhaps a touch gimmicky but normally very good rums. i've got one from the edicion 7 (and another but that is buried too far at the back of the rum cupboard to get to tonight). they try and associate with Cuba but are usually, or possibly all, from the Dominican Republic (i think these days, they source more widely). they do a number of even more limited editions and yours is one of those. i'd drop them an email and ask for whatever they will tell you (if you are okay with it, post the response as i'd love to know).

i've got a bottle of

• 2 weeks later...

As per the suggestion of Ken I emailed them and below is the reply. 

Dear Ashley,

This rum is the result of drinking all night the Dominican Tres Hombres rum from 2013 with my friend and TH label designer Kim, who had the idea to sell the finest rum in 5lt buckets with big beermugs tied to them. I could calm him down to the idea of stoneware bottles but then with no water added, purest rum. This was a good compromise and we had to wait for having the bottles printed until we got the real alc% from the laboratory after unloading the ship in Holland. Also the name Captains Choice came out of this night.

Since then we make special edition rums from the ones we adore most and bottle one or 2 barrels in cask strength stone ware bottles, handmade in Germany, corks from Portugal, sealed by the crew with local beeswax. 

This special 2014 edition is blended to perfection in the solera of Oliver&Oliver in the Dominican Republic without added sugar. Many different barrels gave their influence to this full Caribbean flavor and made the rum irresistebly tasteful despite its high alcohol.

Enjoy!

Andreas

• Like 1