Noticed this today

Was going through the humidor this morning and found that there were two boxes of the Punch Medalla d'Oro on separate shelves of the humidor.  Didn't realize I had two boxes, both purchased from the same place and noticed something  odd.  Both had the same factory and date codes.  I suppose they had enough to extend the run but I'm not really sure what happened here.

punch boxes.JPG

• Like 1

Quite peculiar indeed. CCW lists the run as 3,000 units. Most likely the wrong badge sticker was used. Many other REs have the 4,000 run, including the Punch Clasicos--another 2011 Punch RE. Lots of those sticker badges floating around and not too difficult to grab the wrong one.

That being said, it certainly does get one thinking about how accurate those numbers are and if the run limit is even being respected at all. I have seen REs with no badge. I'm sure duplicates get out the door. Who knows?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JZBdano said:

Does anyone really think they intended on rolling 30,000 and accidentally rolled 40,000? 

A 33.3% overrun does seem a bit far-fetched doesn't it.  That would probably cause quite a ruckus in the cost accounting system. haha

3 hours ago, golfgar said:

A 33.3% overrun does seem a bit far-fetched doesn't it.  That would probably cause quite a ruckus in the cost accounting system. haha

Who says Cuba does accounting? ;-)

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

Well...Habanos S.A has been noted for using up all resources on their products, nothing is wasted. Perhaps a spare badge was incorrectly put on your box? :huh:

I'd say that's possible if not for the fact that un-badged/un-numbered REs pop up all the time, so QC in this area generally appears lacking. I've seen them naked, and as noted above, Lotusguy has seen them naked. I just think they simply grabbed the wrong one. The Punch Clasicos RE had a 4,000 run and I'm sure the bins weren't far apart and the badges are being tossed around. Easy mistake.

I just question whether the stated RE production run numbers are adhered to at all. Again, I've seen many RE boxes with no badge, so those are all impossible to track. And really, what are the chances of the same person discovering two boxes with duplicate numbers and getting the word out? Pretty low. It would be chalked up to an isolated error and Cuba being Cuba. I think it's very likely they overproduce these REs. By how much, we'll never know, but I agree that Cuba wastes nothing, and if HSA determines that they can roll a few hundred more boxes of a given RE that will sell at a premium, they'll do it without hesitation--stated run limits be damned. 

• Like 1

There is one aspect, however, that lets a huge "accidental" overrun appear a bit unlikely and that is that those editions are being ordered and fully paid for (as a whole) by the importer. It is at that particular importer's risk to then move all those boxes off their shelves. So, I'd guess, while and although importers are allowed to reorder a second run of a popular, well-selling ed., they wouldn't be all too happy if Cuba comes up with some sort of surprise-invoice "Ooops, soorry, we accidentally rolled a mere 1000 units (25%) more, we hope you'll be fine with that.".... So it's not that HSA can do and decide what they like on their own here with the Regional Eds.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fugu said:

There is one aspect, however, that lets a huge "accidental" overrun appear a bit unlikely and that is that those editions are being ordered and fully paid for (as a whole) by the importer. It is at that particular importer's risk to then move all those boxes off their shelves. So, I'd guess, while and although importers are allowed to reorder a second run of a popular, well-selling ed., they wouldn't be all too happy if Cuba comes up with some sort of surprise-invoice "Ooops, soorry, we accidentally rolled a mere 1000 units (25%) more, we hope you'll be fine with that.".... So it's not that HSA can do and decide what they like on their own here with the Regional Eds.

... sometimes ones powers of observation amaze me. This is an insightful observation! Bravo! -Piggy

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fugu said:

Excellent point that I wasn't aware of. If the distributors are pre-paying for these then it appears total production can be somewhat accounted for. However, it would seem very unlikely that HSA would let 100% of the boxes out of their control. Do we know for sure that the distributors pay for and receive exactly 3000/3000 (in this case) boxes? Does Cuba hold any back? What do we really know?

Even if we could confirm the distributors pay for and receive 3000/3000, there could still be overproduction. Does anyone really think there isn't at least one box of every RE ever produced somewhere in Cuba?

2 hours ago, RijkdeGooier said:

I seem to vaguely remember that this particular ER had a run added later in the year or going into the next year due to commercial succes

That would be consistent with the badges on those MdO as they are, but CCW doesn't seem to reference any additional run...perhaps you're thinking of the Clasicos? That run was 4,000 which is an exceptionally high run for an RE at that time, even for 10-boxes. Could that have started at 3,000 and gone to 4,000?

20 hours ago, PigFish said:

... sometimes ones powers of observation amaze me. This is an insightful observation! Bravo! -Piggy

Haha, good observation - may be, but certainly poor maths....:mellow: a 1,000 units on top of 3,000 should read 33 %... :D

• Like 1

17 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Even if we could confirm the distributors pay for and receive 3000/3000, there could still be overproduction. Does anyone really think there isn't at least one box of every RE ever produced somewhere in Cuba?

Those are the ones with badges missing....:P

Yes, I guess this is not too unlikely to happen, but supposedly not a larger extra volume, and as you suspect, they will ikely stay in Cuba (an not be invoiced to the importers). But as you say, who really knows...

13 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Could that have started at 3,000 and gone to 4,000?

Usually, a second prod.-run will (should... ;)) usually get new badges starting again at #1 and they wouldn't simply up the counter from 3 to 4,000 and continue counting from there. What speaks against a second run here is that both boxes come with identical box codes. So, I am more in the camp of the "mistake/mix-up", CbC (or Piggy-Home-alone) version.

We might ask into the forum as to whether any other members here having come across a MdO Punch with a #/4000 badge

• Like 1

Another point here is that people buy cigars (me not included) for their exclusivity (1 of 3,000) and IF Cuba has actually produced 4,000 boxes then that is false advertising and fraud.  I can imagine finding out that there are actually another 1000 boxes floating around the world would piss some folks off.  Me, just gives a small time buyer another opportunity to grab something that is out there:P

24 minutes ago, Smoke6 said:

...IF Cuba has actually produced 4,000 boxes then that is false advertising and fraud...

I don't think anyone's under the illusion that Cuba does much of anything with a large degree of integrity. Wish we didn't have to have threads like this about the legitimacy of many aspects of various releases, but it is what it is. We just accept it and deal with it.