HDM Review Competition - 2013 Palma Extra

I have always liked the Palmas Extra. Not an overly complex cuban cigar, but always enjoyable!  I keep a box handy for my friends who are not used to smoking as I find it's mild - as most Hoyos are.

I got this box in Varadero last year, at the Plaza Americas store. Beautiful wrapper, good construction.

1st third:

Mild and woody, toasted tobacco. Nice draw.

2nd third:

Still mild, but starting to gain in complexity: still lots of wood (I would say cedar), toasted notes, a touch of leather and pepper (?)...

final third:

A little more body, but not too much. More leather and definitely hints of pepper now. Still burns really well.

Lovely 45 minute smoke. Fits the Hoyo bill minus the complexity of an aged Epi2!

If I were to rate it I would give it 89 points- which is pretty good for a 3 CUC cigar... Great value!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks for the review of this under-appreciated cigar!  I think the three cremas (Palmas, HU Majestic, Super Partagas) are among the best value for the money cigars out there.  True to their marcas.  Worth the extra coin over JLP and Quintero as cheap & cheerfuls.  When I retire and have time for five cigars a day, I'll be buying a lot of these.  I wish a couple of other marcas would release a non-tubo at this pice point, but that's wishful thinking.  I'm more worried about these three making the cut in the future as HSA moves to higher margin offerings.

Their passable appearance and packaging make them more credible handouts as well.  My non-cigar smoking friends know I'm giving them a cheapie whenI hand them a JLP or Quintero,

• Like 2

Thanks for the review treberty!  I agree about this cigar...never had a bad one.

2 hours ago, bman75 said:

I think the three cremas (Palmas, HU Majestic, Super Partagas) are among the best value for the money cigars out there.

Agree on this.  Love the size too, one of my favorite vitolas.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bman75 said:

Thanks for the review of this under-appreciated cigar!  I think the three cremas (Palmas, HU Majestic, Super Partagas) are among the best value for the money cigars out there.  True to their marcas.

I agree with you about these 3, but there are 2 other cremas: RyJ Romeo No.1 A/T and Partagas de Luxe (in a golden tube). The Romeo is not interesting IMHO (the No.2 and the Mille Fleur are better), the Partagas de Luxe is as good as the Super Partagas but is significantly more expensive…

Right on, good review. I've smoked a couple of HU Majestics, and I think it's a great value. Both sticks lasted me over an hour (roughly as long as a robusto at ~60% of the price), and had a lot of flavor. Looking forward to trying the HdM Palmas and the Super Partagas when I place my next order.