He's a close friend. I can't tell him it's fake.

Jimmy_jack

The thought means more than the stick of course. It's always fantastic when a friend shares their hard-earned hard currency with you in the form of a gift. That's a good mate!

Here's what I would do..

Smoke it solo just to see how sh**y it is, just for fun and giggles. Save the label though and the next time he's over, tell him you saved the cigar and wanted to have it while you're hanging out. Slip that label over anything else in your collection and rock it out. He wanted you to enjoy it, so, do!

• Like 4

I had this happen twice over the summer. The first time, a good friend handed me a cigar and after a quick glance, I asked to see the box. I didn't realize that they were actually from him but the box was a total giveaway as it had a clear plastic slide lid on top of the box of ten. He came over and asked what I was thinking and I explained that they were fake not realizing that he had just paid for them. He took the news graciously. In the second instance, a friend said that he knew someone that was a diplomat who was selling Esplendidos for $350 per box. I asked him to take a picture of the numbers on the label and they obviously didn't check out. He was really defensive and almost angry that I suggested that they were not legit. I would probably just keep my mouth shut next time. 

I had to tell a friend just this week his Cohiba was a fake.

Someone he knew had been to Honduras and brought back some "Cubans"...

He had not fully removed it from his cigar case when I gave him the bad news.

He did not pay too much for it, and he said the other one he had smoked was not a bad cigar.

I did not hesitate to tell him because I did not want him to buy any more, or waste his $$$.

Funny how many fakes there are ,I see them a couple times a year.......

** I agree with you 10,000%, Jimmy_jack.  I've ended up with fakes too that it would have killed me deader than it would have injured the providing party who called themselves doing me a kindness.  However, the other views on this subject are also quite correct in doing at least SOMETHING to keep the poor, well-meaning guy from getting duped too much or again. You just have to weigh it, or play it by ear, I guess. Whenever I'm talking "cigar-ese" to my friends and acquaintances, I never fail to educate them on the heavy preponderance of fakes and counterfeits out there. So, if they were to try to get ME a Habano, they'll usually take a few cautious steps in how and where they acquire them. I've been blessed with some pretty good shares :ok:   :yes:

I was in Belize a couple months ago and the people at the fishing lodge were buing "Cohibas" from the local stores in San Pedro. 

They were too cheap to be real, and looked really fake to boot.  Everyone was acting too happy to spoil it for them.