Any worthy whisky recommendation?

kinglingcheng

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ahight.. I'm a bout ta throw down! Backstory, I'm from Kentucky and love Bourbon. (Which pretty much makes me an expert, or perhaps it's the, I think, 48 open Bourbon Bottles in my pantry - but I

This in single barrel is around $65 to $75 and is one of my absolute favorites.

picked this up yesterday for $49 USD. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

Just tried this old rye whiskey and found It very interesting. It's a very old brand that goes back to 1780

but offically disttillied In 1810 and was Doc Holiday's, JFK ,Mark Tawin, Abraham Lincolin's favorite drink.

It's the oldest American rye whiskey still around. I found It very interesting with good flavors. It' called,

" Old Overholt Rye Whiskey  " and sold everywhere In the U.S.A. for a really cheap price.

Between 11 to 19  Dollars.

It goes great with a great cigar. Look It up on Google.

IMG_0426.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/27/2016 at 3:38 PM, Ethernut said:

How bout another wicked good under-the-radar Bourbon? Single Barrel (55% alcohol) Russels Reserve from Wild Turkey. It's incredible stuff for $55. Currently $49 at my Costco and I bought 7 bottles of the stuff because I put it up again my benchmark FR SBBS OBSV and was pleasantly surprised! It had serious juevos!

IMG_8102.jpg

Thanks for the recommendation, Ethernut! I picked up four bottles at Costco while in Lexington last week, and I'm glad I did, it's fantastic stuff. I also picked up a few bottles of Rittenhouse Rye, as that's my go-to for mixed Rye drinks (now that the Willet 7yr is impossible to find).

I'll be sure to look you up on one of my future trips to Lex!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Phinz said:

Thanks for the recommendation, Ethernut! I picked up four bottles at Costco while in Lexington last week, and I'm glad I did, it's fantastic stuff. I also picked up a few bottles of Rittenhouse Rye, as that's my go-to for mixed Rye drinks (now that the Willet 7yr is impossible to find).

I'll be sure to look you up on one of my future trips to Lex!

By all means please do!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Buffalo Trace is a pure master at marketing. They make the various versions of Pappy, Sazerac Rye, Stagg Jr., E.H. Taylor's, Blanton's, Elmer, Rock Hill, Eagle Rare, Weller, and others. These are all allocated a few bottles at a time to create scarcity. I live in Central Kentucky and it is rare to find any of these regular production bottles on the shelf. There are some good whiskies in that list, but there are also many readily available whiskies too. 

I have to agree with @Ethernut on the Russell's Reserve Single Barrel Bourbon and Rye. Both are great as far as easy to find, price, mid-to-high proof, and taste great neat.

A lot of bourbon chasers are not drinkers, just chasers. They wouldn't know good whiskey if it bit them on the hind end. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, 2skinny said:

A lot of bourbon chasers are not drinkers, just chasers. They wouldn't know good whiskey if it bit them on the hind end. 

100% agreed! Central KY huh? Seems as if we should sample some of that fine Kentucky elixir and a cigar this spring.. ?

Cheers!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

How bout another wicked good under-the-radar Bourbon? Single Barrel (55% alcohol) Russels Reserve from Wild Turkey. It's incredible stuff for $55. Currently $49 at my Costco and I bought 7 bottles of the stuff because I put it up again my benchmark FR SBBS OBSV and was pleasantly surprised! It had serious juevos!

IMG_8102.jpg

Ethernut:  Thanks for the tip about Russell's.  I may grab a bottle of this today.  :thumbsup:

I'm also curious to know your opinion about Booker's Roundtable Series.  The price is not crazy (at least not yet) and the reviews are excellent.  What say you?  Thanks!    

8 minutes ago, MahDooRow said:

Ethernut:  Thanks for the tip about Russell's.  I may grab a bottle of this today.  :thumbsup:

I'm also curious to know your opinion about Booker's Roundtable Series.  The price is not crazy (at least not yet) and the reviews are excellent.  What say you?  Thanks!    

Haven't had the Roundtable Series yet, unfortunately I cannot comment! (Sorry!) Ensure you get the 110 Proof Single Barrel Russells. I think you'll be shocked at the value/$.

Guest robertsccr5

In my opinion, the best bourbon release of 2016 is Old Forester 1920 Prohibition Style. At $60 it is an incredible bourbon worth much more than msrp. It's much better than Birthday Bourbon which is another allocated, over hyped whiskey.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Ahight.. I'm a bout ta throw down!

Backstory, I'm from Kentucky and love Bourbon. (Which pretty much makes me an expert, or perhaps it's the, I think, 48 open Bourbon Bottles in my pantry - but I digress LOL)

Opinions as these are, I'll say I think pound for pound the best Bourbon out there is consistently coming from Four Roses. They're still, amazingly, stunningly, frustratingly under the radar. 

Why?

Four Roses is doing something that no one else in the Bourbon industry is - They have 10 Bourbon Mashbills. How so? They have 5 runs at 20% Rye (Low Rye) and 5 runs at 35% Rye (High Rye) and they're using 5 different yeast strains per run. This gives them the control and variety within their end-product thats second to none. My advice? Seek out and buy Four Roses Single Barrel Barrel Strength releases. My Favorite recipes are OBSV (vanilla caramel yeast) and OBSK (spicy yeast) (and full disclosure the F and O recipes aren't my favorites but they might be yours). Check out this infographic below, open it and zoom in... Four Roses are producing their SBBS Bottles at $72/Bottle US. It's the best deal in the entire industry for super-premium Bourbon. Is it better than Pappy? Yes. Yes. All motherfreaking day long... and its' generally available. This Infographic does not show their SBBS line but it's simply one mashbill bottled at barrel strength. This is what I drink all the time when I want that next-level experience.

16FRB1118_Infographic_c5-2.jpg

IMG_8071.jpgIMG_8072.jpg

On Pappy...

I live 30 minutes from where Pappy, Buffalo Trace, BTAC, Colonel EH Tayor, Woodford, Four Roses, and Wild Turkey are made. Let me say something else controversial. Pappy is at best "Very Good" whiskey, it is not the best whiskey. Buffalo Trace are masters at creating scarcity and demand. Do I love me some Buffalo Trace products? Yep. Just sharing the truth. Want another truth? Pappy has one mashbill and that mashbill is also used to create Old Weller 12 Year (and I think Old Weller Antique 107). Want some Pappyish whiskey on the cheap? Buy those.

IMG_8102.jpg

These are all super premiums frankly that represent the top 5% of what is possible, period in a bourbon barrel. Possible to improve on that much? Nope..

I also recommend Woodford Double-Oaked if you like that sweet-woody-oaky profile at $55/bottle.

Here's one that I LOVE that's super inexpensive at around $22/bottle. Old Forester Signature 100 Proof. It's a 3 trick pony of Sweet, Vanilla and Toasted Oak Barrel. you can drink it neat and it's fantastic value or you can mix it to create a top-shelf cocktail and feel like you've done nothing wrong..

old-forester-signature-100-bottle.jpg 

If you find yourself coming through Lexington KY.. Forget the Bourbon Trail, PM me.. My hospitality is legendary. We'll sit on the deck and I'll feed you the best bourbon in the world until you tap-out!

giphy-3.gif

I stumbled upon four roses by accident as I just started to drink Bourbon.  How's the saying go.....sometimes it's better to be lucky in love, cigars and bourbon ... or something like that. Hahaha.  Also. I can find a reason to be in Lexington to take you up on the offer.  Thanks for the great recs!! 

-Cheers  

• Like 2

On 9/26/2016 at 5:57 PM, SmokeySteve said:

12dbadedfc465fccb62793326fb0a0e9.jpg picked this up yesterday for $49 USD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tis excellent. But your local cost is far higher than mine. Of course I'm much, much closer to Kentucky.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, gmoney said:

I stumbled upon four roses by accident as I just started to drink Bourbon.  How's the saying go.....sometimes it's better to be lucky in love, cigars and bourbon ... or something like that. Hahaha.  Also. I can find a reason to be in Lexington to take you up on the offer.  Thanks for the great recs!! 

-Cheers  

Just give me a little lead time and we'll make it happen! Cheers!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ethernut said:

Ensure you get the 110 Proof Single Barrel Russells. I think you'll be shocked at the value/$.

Ethernut:  Today I was able to pick up a bottle of Russell's Reserve Single Barrel (110 proof).  Bottles with the new label were $59, while old label bottles were $54.  I saved $5 and went with the old label.  I haven't yet poured a glass, but will definitely do so sometime this week.

I also purchased a bottle of Palm Ridge Reserve, which is locally-produced here in Florida.  This would not have been on my radar if not for the fact that Jim Murray gave it a 94.5 in his 2015 Whiskey Bible, calling it a “beautifully crafted, truly adorable whiskey where fruit appears to constantly have its hand on the tiller.”  It's a 90 proof, unaged, self-described "bourbon-style" whiskey, and I have to say that (despite my skepticism) Jim is correct.  I'm sipping a glass as I type this post and it is absolutely wonderful! :2thumbs:

Palm%20Ridge%20Reserve%20Florida%20Whisk

Palm Ridge Reserve Whiskey – Distiller: Florida Farm Distillers. ABV: 45%. Age: under 1 year. Mashbill: Florida corn, malted barley, regular rye, and toasted flake rye (proportions undisclosed).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, MahDooRow said:

Ethernut:  Today I was able to pick up a bottle of Russell's Reserve Single Barrel (110 proof).  Bottles with the new label were $59, while old label bottles were $54.  I saved $5 and went with the old label.  I haven't yet poured a glass, but will definitely do so sometime this week.

I also purchased a bottle of Palm Ridge Reserve, which is locally-produced here in Florida.  This would not have been on my radar if not for the fact that Jim Murray gave it a 94.5 in his 2015 Whiskey Bible, calling it a “beautifully crafted, truly adorable whiskey where fruit appears to constantly have its hand on the tiller.”  It's a 90 proof, unaged, self-described "bourbon-style" whiskey, and I have to say that (despite my skepticism) Jim is correct.  I'm sipping a glass as I type this post and it is absolutely wonderful! :2thumbs:

Palm%20Ridge%20Reserve%20Florida%20Whisk

Palm Ridge Reserve Whiskey – Distiller: Florida Farm Distillers. ABV: 45%. Age: under 1 year. Mashbill: Florida corn, malted barley, regular rye, and toasted flake rye (proportions undisclosed).

If by old label you mean the 90 proof version. Take it back and get the 110 proof version. It's worth the 5$. ?

Never heard of palm ridge.  I'd be very interested to find out if they actually had a distillery. Or if they were buying barrels which is all too common these days. 

11 minutes ago, Ethernut said:

If by old label you mean the 90 proof version. Take it back and get the 110 proof version. It's worth the 5$. ?

Never heard of palm ridge.  I'd be very interested to find out if they actually had a distillery. Or if they were buying barrels which is all too common these days. 

It's the 110 proof version of Russell's.  I compared the info on both labels and also asked the store clerk who confirmed they were both the exact same product.

As for Pam Ridge I'm 99.9% sure they have their own distillery.  They only produce 500 cases per year and the product is primarily sold in Florida.  I'd venture to guess that most people (even avid whiskey drinkers) have not heard of it.

brbon_wil39.jpg

24 minutes ago, MahDooRow said:

It's the 110 proof version of Russell's.  I compared the info on both labels and also asked the store clerk who confirmed they were both the exact same product.

As for Pam Ridge I'm 99.9% sure they have their own distillery.  They only produce 500 cases per year and the product is primarily sold in Florida.  I'd venture to guess that most people (even avid whiskey drinkers) have not heard of it.

brbon_wil39.jpg

What about the color? The new version is done with a level 4 alligator char on the barrels, should be dark for its age. Yeah, I'm a nerd ? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ethernut said:

What about the color? The new version is done with a level 4 alligator char on the barrels, should be dark for its age. Yeah, I'm a nerd ? 

I held both bottles up to the light and to my eye the color looked identical.  I've never had Russell's with the old label or the new label, so I certainly won't know the difference (if there is one).  That being said, do you think I should exchange for the bottle with the new label?

5 minutes ago, MahDooRow said:

I held both bottles up to the light and to my eye the color looked identical.  I've never had Russell's with the old label or the new label, so I certainly won't know the difference (if there is one).  That being said, do you think I should exchange for the bottle with the new label?

Nope, if color is the same, you're good!

• Like 1

On 2/21/2017 at 1:36 AM, Ethernut said:

Nope, if color is the same, you're good!

E: I'm taking my first sips of the Russell's Reserve and it's quite tasty!  Very smooth for 110 proof with nice flavors of oak, dark fruit and baking spices.  I get some mild vanilla and caramel on the nose, but the oak and dark fruit are most prominent.  Good stuff for sure.  :2thumbs: 

• Like 2

Just cracked open a bottle of Glenmorangie Lasanta 12 Sherry Cask Finish my wife got me for Christmas... quite good!
4c337e96e3e1dcd26e5e085ddb4be63b.jpg

Paired very nicely with a Monte No 1.

Guest robertsccr5
Just cracked open a bottle of Glenmorangie Lasanta 12 Sherry Cask Finish my wife got me for Christmas... quite good!
4c337e96e3e1dcd26e5e085ddb4be63b.jpg

Paired very nicely with a Monte No 1.

If you enjoy Sherried Whiskey, search out Balvenie single barrel 15 yr sherry cask. First fill if you can find it. You will not be disappointed.

If you enjoy Sherried Whiskey, search out Balvenie single barrel 15 yr sherry cask. First fill if you can find it. You will not be disappointed.

I had a bottle, long gone now. I've got a bottle of Balvenie 14 Caribbean Cask though. Nowadays with all the limited releases it's getting tough to find the same Whisky a few months or a year apart.