This just in: Obama lifts restrictions on Cuban rum & cigars

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This makes me ill.  Right now I see extremely limited benefit to current American enthusiasts, and plenty of downside.

I like things how they are right now. I order from our host. I chill out for a 8-12 days. Then the nice lady from the Postal Service brings me amazing cigars right to my door. All at the touch of a li

"Sorry American couch potatoes: You can't order Cuban rum and cigars online and have them shipped to your home."   LMAO

We just put a deposit on our honeymoon trip to Italy in April. This is kind of a "YEAH....crap" moment. I will get to bring 4 boxes back (maybe 8 with the wifey?) from the trip but I guess Italy isn't the greatest for cigars. I tried to get a layover in Geneva so I could cigar shop...no such luck.

All I want to do is rummage around in a few stores to find slightly aged boxes (pretty hard to find for me) of sticks I like and maybe a box of regionals. 

I can't tell the wife that I actually researched a flight from Rome to Geneva for a day...LOL!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Hurltim said:

We just put a deposit on our honeymoon trip to Italy in April. This is kind of a "YEAH....crap" moment. I will get to bring 4 boxes back (maybe 8 with the wifey?) from the trip but I guess Italy isn't the greatest for cigars. I tried to get a layover in Geneva so I could cigar shop...no such luck.

All I want to do is rummage around in a few stores to find slightly aged boxes (pretty hard to find for me) of sticks I like and maybe a box of regionals. 

I can't tell the wife that I actually researched a flight from Rome to Geneva for a day...LOL!

The Italian Regionals are pretty good and somewhat reasonably priced.  If you're in Rome go to the Fincato.

Fincato - La Casa del Habano

Via Colonna Antonina 34
00186 Rome, Italy
Tel: 0039 / 06.6785508

www.fincatolacasadelhabano.com

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Ryan said:

Why $200?

Oh, I just picked an unrealistic number because until the guidelines make their way to customs officers at airports, custom officers may be levying duties at a whim.

Overall mixed feelings on this, but selfishly as a person living abroad and moving back in January this is great. So much for my mental excuse to hold off on 24/24's in the event I got stopped by customs on the way back.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, watches_whiskies_cigars said:

Oh, I just picked an unrealistic number because until the guidelines make their way to customs officers at airports, custom officers may be levying duties at a whim.

Fair enough. From the link posted earlier though, https://www.ttb.gov/tax_audit/atftaxes.shtml it does look like it's 40 cents per cigar maximum.

$40 on 100 cigars (for example) isn't bad at all.

For example, coming into Ireland over the limit (50 cigars) and declaring, I have to pay €325 plus 23% VAT per kilo of tobacco (including cigars)

This would work out about $1000 for 100 double coronas.

Americans got it good. Your dollar trades at par with CUC, and you can basically bring back what you want as long as you have factura's essentially.

As a canadian citizen I can only bring back 50/person and on top of that my canadian dollar is worth like 0.70 cuc since the CUC trades at the us dollar. man o man. 

Good news for you guys for sure. 

Interesting development, but consider me a couch potato.  Maybe this will help the Cuban people somehow?  Although I am not sure how exactly.?  I feel sorry for American small business owners who own tobacco shops. They just got the nasty one two punch fisting.  FDA regs and now this.  It's sad for them.  It's almost like they weren't even a consideration.  

I agree there will be a rush of increased demand for CCs with this announcement.  US residents will make the pilgrimage to purchase CCs direct from the source (I will likely be among them, as I live in Florida).  However, I'm cautiously optimistic about the long term impact.  

1. US residents have long been able to purchase CCs from international dealers without issue.  

2. Smoking in general is on the decline in the US.

We may see an initial dip in quality as Cuba ramps up production to meet the increased demand, but I see any spike in demand gradually trailing off (just as it did after the cigar fad in the 1990s).  Just my opinion.

1 hour ago, santela said:

Get ready for more price hikes boys!

I agree unfortunately.  Funny while I was there last week I saw a bunch of Behike boxes at one of the shops. $332 CUC for the 52's and $362CUC for the 54's.  Interesting part was, they could not sell them to me because they were awaiting NEW pricing....Now I know why is my guess.  So much for reasonable pricing from here on in.  My guess we are going to see as Santela said some price hikes and pretty high ones at that. 

This is obviously great in terms of being able to easily get stuff back home now (not that i ever did before!), but as others have pointed out, it may be a bit of a double edged sword in the long run. As it stands, I am planning my trip to toronto in hopes of catching an indians game next week, and i will be loading up!!!