This just in: Obama lifts restrictions on Cuban rum & cigars

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This makes me ill.  Right now I see extremely limited benefit to current American enthusiasts, and plenty of downside.

I like things how they are right now. I order from our host. I chill out for a 8-12 days. Then the nice lady from the Postal Service brings me amazing cigars right to my door. All at the touch of a li

"Sorry American couch potatoes: You can't order Cuban rum and cigars online and have them shipped to your home."   LMAO

7 minutes ago, BuckeyeSmoker said:

This is obviously great in terms of being able to easily get stuff back home now (not that i ever did before!), but as others have pointed out, it may be a bit of a double edged sword in the long run. As it stands, I am planning my trip to toronto in hopes of catching an indians game next week, and i will be loading up!!!

Toronto?  I seem to recall our Canadian friends that post here claim that the CA taxes are really high....so you may actually be overpaying at retail what you can still get via USPS from our host here???  

• Like 1

Guest photorob
10 minutes ago, BuckeyeSmoker said:

This is obviously great in terms of being able to easily get stuff back home now (not that i ever did before!), but as others have pointed out, it may be a bit of a double edged sword in the long run. As it stands, I am planning my trip to toronto in hopes of catching an indians game next week, and i will be loading up!!!

Our taxes here in Canada are completely out of hand. By all means, grab a few Canada Regionals and maybe some LCDH rarities but be prepared to pay the same amount that you normally pay for a box for 6 or 8 cigars here.

ALSO, be prepared for your boys to take a nice L. Go Blue Jays!!

This WILL assist with Cuba's economy for sure....Glad to see this.

Cargo ships can visit U.S. ports immediately after departing Cuba. Vessels previously were barred from loading or unloading freight at a U.S. port for 180 days after docking in Cuba.

1 hour ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

I wonder how many cigars i can really bring in. 

I am sure if anyone will test this question it will be you.  Please report back when you discover the limit.  A shipping container might be too much.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, topdiesel said:
1 hour ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

I wonder how many cigars i can really bring in. 

I am sure if anyone will test this question it will be you.  Please report back when you discover the limit.  A shipping container might be too much.

I think there is still a MAX limit of 100 cigars/person:

Returning resident travelers may import tobacco products only in quantities not exceeding the amounts specified in the personal exemptions for which the traveler qualifies (not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars if arriving from other than a beneficiary country and insular possession). Any quantities of tobacco products not permitted by a personal exemption are subject to detention, seizure, penalties, abandonment, and destruction. Tobacco products are typically purchased in duty-free stores, on sea carriers operating internationally or in foreign stores.

1 hour ago, RickHendeson said:

This makes me ill.  Right now I see extremely limited benefit to current American enthusiasts, and plenty of downside.

I totally agree.  What has been established in terms of access to affordable and guaranteed authentic cuban tobacco will quickly devolve into a nightmare at best....for everyone. For all those excited about traveling and purchasing CCs abroad I have to ask--have you seen the prices?  Five boxes of standards will most likely set you back a couple of grand.

The cuban people will be no better off and the quality of cigars will deteriorate as prices rise.  This is good for no one, other than a blundering idiots so called legacy.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, BuckeyeSmoker said:

Careful where you park your platinum lined Rolls Royce. Parking tickets are about the same cost as a single H. Upmann #2...

Just read an email from CA and this is good news indeed.

Now my visits to Canada will be less stressful as I cross the border back home.

Of course, our host still has much better prices, and very high quality.

44 minutes ago, BuckeyeSmoker said:

Not a good idea for your pocket book.  Simple pedestrian habanos are $15 to $20 a piece.  You better pack some gold bullion for your purchases in Toronto.

47 minutes ago, BuckeyeSmoker said:

You clearly have never been into a Canadian cigar shop...   lol    :(

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

I totally agree.  What has been established in terms of access to affordable and guaranteed authentic cuban tobacco will quickly devolve into a nightmare at best....for everyone. For all those excited about traveling and purchasing CCs abroad I have to ask--have you seen the prices?  Five boxes of standards will most likely set you back a couple of grand.

The cuban people will be no better off and the quality of cigars will deteriorate as prices rise.  This is good for no one, other than a blundering idiots so called legacy.

Exactly why getting product from our host here will be my #1 source going forward. Not many in the Industry does what he does to inspect to insure quality, that is a rarity.

• Like 1

I can see it now...Future collectors and sellers.....

Pre Embargo Cuban Cigars =  +1000%

Post Embargo = + Standard pricing, whatever that may turn out to be.

:rolleyes:

The thought of meandering the streets of Geneva perusing local stock and actually be able to get them home without jumping through hoops...awesome. 

Now if I can just convince Jen...

18 minutes ago, AlohaStyle said:

You clearly have never been into a Canadian cigar shop...   lol    :(

You can bring 200 cigars into the US duty free... no Canadian tax the price isn't that crazy at all...

It would almost need to be a planned purchasing trip to pick up cigars with no VAT (EU that allow Tobacco VAT refund), etc.

But it can be done I supposed depending on how dedicated you are

Reaction seems to be split among those in the USA as to whether this new policy is good or bad.  I can see both sides of the argument, but I'm on the "good" side.  I actually believe it's a win-win for Cuba and for the US, and I don't foresee this change causing a decline in quality of CCs.  When/if the embargo is fully lifted and US cigar shops can actually sell CCs on domestic (USA) soil, that will certainly place significant stress on the supply-demand equation.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DRed409 said:

You can bring 200 cigars into the US duty free... no Canadian tax the price isn't that crazy at all...

100 cigars are allowed duty free, 200 cigarettes.   And where can you buy cigars duty free in Canada?  I just had this discussion with a couple friends and they don't know of any place.  Neither do I in the Vancouver area. 

4 minutes ago, AlohaStyle said:

100 cigars are allowed duty free, 200 cigarettes.   And where can you buy cigars duty free in Canada?  I just had this discussion with a couple friends and they don't know of any place.  Neither do I in the Vancouver area. 

Any where, I used Ontario as an example because it would be my nearest province. Unfortunately you are going to have to pay upfront, then file this form and wait for the refund:

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetAttachDocs/013-0547E~2/$File/0547E.pdf

The reason for the refund would be export out of Ontario.

Disclaimer: I was once an accountant (kinda still am, just moved up the totem pole a bit), now work in a tax exempt industry, we buy almost everything on a tax exemption certificate.

4 minutes ago, DRed409 said:

Any where, I used Ontario as an example because it would be my nearest province. Unfortunately you are going to have to pay upfront, then file this form and wait for the refund:

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetAttachDocs/013-0547E~2/$File/0547E.pdf

The reason for the refund would be export out of Ontario.

Disclaimer: I was once an accountant (kinda still am, just moved up the totem pole a bit), now work in a tax exempt industry, we buy almost everything on a tax exemption certificate.

Good to know, thanks.  I know other countries have that type of refund system, I forgot about Canada having that.  Whenever I've bought stuff in Vancouver like clothes etc, I just remember the amount wasn't worth my time of doing that form.  I'll have to look more into that now. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, MahDooRow said:

Reaction seems to be split among those in the USA as to whether this new policy is good or bad.  I can see both sides of the argument, but I'm on the "good" side.  I actually believe it's a win-win for Cuba and for the US, and I don't foresee this change causing a decline in quality of CCs.  When/if the embargo is fully lifted and US cigar shops can actually sell CCs on domestic (USA) soil, that will certainly place significant stress on the supply-demand equation.

Either way, prices are going to rise or quality is going to down (could be both actually). There will be increased demand and a shortage of supply. Won't be as bad though when Cuban cigars can legally be sold at B&M's in the US though. 

2 minutes ago, dangolf18 said:

Either way, prices are going to rise or quality is going to down (could be both actually). There will be increased demand and a shortage of supply. Won't be as bad though when Cuban cigars can legally be sold at B&M's in the US though. 

That may take some time along with a hefty expense thanks to our FDA.