This just in: Obama lifts restrictions on Cuban rum & cigars

11 minutes ago, DRed409 said:

Any where, I used Ontario as an example because it would be my nearest province. Unfortunately you are going to have to pay upfront, then file this form and wait for the refund:

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetAttachDocs/013-0547E~2/$File/0547E.pdf

The reason for the refund would be export out of Ontario.

Disclaimer: I was once an accountant (kinda still am, just moved up the totem pole a bit), now work in a tax exempt industry, we buy almost everything on a tax exemption certificate.

Looking at the Ontario form, they list Cigars at 56.6% of the taxable price.  Does that mean you can get that percentage back in refund? 

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This makes me ill.  Right now I see extremely limited benefit to current American enthusiasts, and plenty of downside.

I like things how they are right now. I order from our host. I chill out for a 8-12 days. Then the nice lady from the Postal Service brings me amazing cigars right to my door. All at the touch of a li

"Sorry American couch potatoes: You can't order Cuban rum and cigars online and have them shipped to your home."   LMAO

30 minutes ago, AlohaStyle said:

Looking at the Ontario form, they list Cigars at 56.6% of the taxable price.  Does that mean you can get that percentage back in refund? 

I haven't found a good spot in the Vancouver area either.  Did find a liquor shop in Osoyoos a couple weeks ago selling Havana Club 7 @ 23 / bottle after conversion.  That's a 6 hours drive from Seattle though...nice scenery!

In Toronto over the summer, a single Cohiba Lancero was $71...ouch.  Still bought one.  What a sucker!

FYI -from treasury website and updated today

cuba_faqs_new.pdf

1. Can I purchase Cuban-origin cigars and/or Cuban-origin rum or other alcohol while traveling in Cuba?

Persons authorized to travel to Cuba may purchase alcohol and tobacco products while in Cuba for personal consumption. Authorized travelers may also return to the United States with alcohol and/or tobacco products acquired in Cuba as accompanied baggage for personal use. OFAC considers “personal use” of an imported item to include giving the item to another individual as a personal gift, but not the transfer of the item to another person for payment or other consideration.

2. Can I purchase Cuban-origin cigars and/or Cuban-origin rum or other Cuban-origin alcohol while in a third country (i.e. not Cuba)?

Yes, persons subject to U.S. jurisdiction may purchase or acquire Cuban-origin merchandise, including alcohol and tobacco products, while in a third country for personal consumption. Such products may be consumed while in a third country, or imported into the United States as accompanied baggage for personal use only. For a complete description of what this general license authorizes and the restrictions that apply, see 31 CFR § 515.585(c) and (d). 

3. 29. Are there any spending limits for authorized U.S. travelers while in Cuba? There is no specific dollar limit on authorized expenses. Authorized travelers may engage in transactions ordinarily incident to travel within Cuba, including payment of living expenses and the acquisition in Cuba of goods for personal consumption there. In addition, travelers are authorized to acquire in Cuba and import as accompanied baggage into the United States merchandise for personal use only. Effective October 17, 2016, the prior limitations on the value of such imports has been removed. Such imports remain subject to the normal limits on duty and tax exemptions for merchandise imported as accompanied baggage and for personal use.

33 minutes ago, Digi said:

I haven't found a good spot in the Vancouver area either.  Did find a liquor shop in Osoyoos a couple weeks ago selling Havana Club 7 @ 23 / bottle after conversion.  That's a 6 hours drive from Seattle though...nice scenery!

In Toronto over the summer, a single Cohiba Lancero was $71...ouch.  Still bought one.  What a sucker!

I make it a point to visit City Cigar whenever I'm in Vancouver. The prices are pretty rough, but par for the course, andtheir selection is really good.

More than anything, I like hanging out with Bill, and the free coffee doesn't hurt my feelings either.
Sarah insists that we go there every time we visit. Good people, good coffee, and great cigars takes some of the sting out of the price.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Lotusguy said:

Woot - I no longer have to bring in my purchases from German LCDH in my prison wallet :lookaround:

LMFAO!!!!

1 hour ago, BuckeyeSmoker said:

well shoot. looks like my canadian excursion will be a waste :(

Still lots of lovely girls to gawk at   :D

5 hours ago, RickHendeson said:

This makes me ill.  Right now I see extremely limited benefit to current American enthusiasts, and plenty of downside.

So many good points regarding the negatives. I'm Canadian so I had the luxury of visiting Cuba. I do feel bad for Americans who want to visit. It really is a nice place. I may be biased because of our relations, but in terms of cigar enthusiasts I see only negatives. I mostly buy cigars here and so does everyone on this board so this doesn't really affect anything except possible QC issues and price increases. In regards to human rights issues I can't comment. Interesting times. 

I don't think this will necessarily change much. Reality is only the people currently 'allowed' to travel there may purchase there. Also, there is no timeline for CC's to be sold in the U.S. All it means is that the current shops that sell them (around the world) will be selling them to Americans most likely at a faster and larger scale than previously. I doubt the drop in quality will happen anytime before cigars are actually sold in the U.S. I do believe, if anything, that having a source like FOH is more important now than ever, as I could see stock dropping as people continue to purchase (now legally) more and more. Having a source like FOH who consistently and reliably source quality sticks is all anyone will need. Price hikes?.. Maybe.. I could see some price increases globally to help fund and recuperate the tobacco fields in Cuba as the get ready to stock the U.S. (Largest cigar consumer market on Earth). But again, this only benefits those that go overseas to purchase cigars (I go to Germany once a year). And even for those of us who do, the VAT tax puts anything other than the regionals which are exclusive to the area way over the price of FOH!

5 minutes ago, TheLiquidGator said:

Coloniales, suave, smooth, sophisticated and sexy too. Wonderful cigar. Wish I never opened this box. They won't last long. Should have bought another box when they were offered early this week.

Intended or not - great post!  :clap:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheLiquidGator said:

Coloniales, suave, smooth, sophisticated and sexy too. Wonderful cigar. Wish I never opened this box. They won't last long. Should have bought another box when they were offered early this week.

IMG_2018.JPG

Thanks for your contribution. :D

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Couldn't happen at a better time!!!

Agreed my friend, customs already ordered, wifey tagging along, easier to get them back split amongst us even if we have to pay any taxes, benefits us Americans sweating bringing back Cubans into the US

Bart

8 minutes ago, Bartolomeo said:

Agreed my friend, customs already ordered, wifey tagging along, easier to get them back split amongst us even if we have to pay any taxes, benefits us Americans sweating bringing back Cubans into the US

Bart

Would like to put my order in for some customs next time you go.  Wifey has talked me into a two week tour of Italy next April, so no trip back to Cuba any time soon. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, DRed409 said:

Any where, I used Ontario as an example because it would be my nearest province. Unfortunately you are going to have to pay upfront, then file this form and wait for the refund:

http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/ssb/forms/ssbforms.nsf/GetAttachDocs/013-0547E~2/$File/0547E.pdf

The reason for the refund would be export out of Ontario.

Disclaimer: I was once an accountant (kinda still am, just moved up the totem pole a bit), now work in a tax exempt industry, we buy almost everything on a tax exemption certificate.

FYI... as I mentioned to you earlier, the rule change in 2007 does not allow general tax refunds/rebates anymore. 

Email to me from the Ministry of Finance when I contacted them asking clarification:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Provincial sales tax (PST)

PST applies to sales and leases of tangible personal property (TPP), software, related services, legal services, telecommunication services, and accommodation.

If you are a non-resident visiting British Columbia (BC) you must pay PST on the purchase price of all goods (including liquor) you purchase and take possession of in BC. The seller must collect PST from you and you are not eligible for a refund of PST. For more information, please see Bulletin PST 309, PST and Non-Residents.

However, goods maybe purchased exempt from PST if:

·        the goods are delivered or shipped by the seller to the purchaser to a location outside of BC; and

·        no use is made of the goods by you while the goods are in BC other than storage of the goods with the seller.

Please note that PST does not apply to either the purchase price or the delivery charges, if the goods are to be shipped or delivered by the seller to a location outside of BC, provided that no use whatsoever is to be made of the purchaser of the goods while the goods are in BC. But if you take possession of the goods in BC or is responsible for arranging the shipping or delivery of the goods out-of-province, then PST applies to both the purchase price and the delivery charges. For more information, please see Bulletin PST 302- Delivery Charges.

Tobacco Tax

Tobacco tax applies on all tobacco products sold in BC, including cigars.  If you purchase cigars in BC, you must pay tobacco tax and you will not be eligible for a refund.

7 hours ago, BarryNY said:

Note to self:

1. What countries have favorable exchange rate to USD.

2. What countries have cheap flights to/from USA.

3. Figure out cost of boxes wanted "for personal consumption".

4. Research RT flight just to go cigar shopping - does it make sense to amortize the flight costs over the cost of the boxes?

5. Tell wife about the scheme and have her say "over my dead body" you'll do that.

6. Murder wife.

7. Research one way flight to non-extradition country.

8. Buy CC and find young new wife.

:rolleyes: WOW, Barry! Don't be THAT determined with option No.6! Just do her the way "some folks out there" have had to do with acquiring their Habanos up to this point - on the sly, in packets marked "candles", etc., etc.!  We won't tell!  :ziplip:  :wink2:

• Like 1

While this will undoubtedly increase demand and sales, I'm not sure it will be earth-shattering. Those buying boxes abroad were already doing it. It will be nice for those in border towns but how many of those are there? And the prices are generally not great, especially in Canada. Duty frees will get a bump, but there again, prices are lousy and stock is poor. Will they buy much more at Duty Frees? Don't know.

Either way, I'm fine with it. I'm not sure this will result in price increases from HSA but possibly at the retail level, at least at first.

And for us, it will be business as usual. The best prices and quality are frequently right here.

• Like 2

The advantage to purchasing my cigars from here or similar places is the items are so specific down to the box code and date on the bottom. As well, Rob grades and inspects the sticks only meeting our satisfaction. 

The 100 or whatever cigars brought home, by a member here, I hope truly enjoys all of them. 

Many will be bought on the beach and tried to be sold on Craig's. I just have a feeling. Yuck.

9 hours ago, BarryNY said:

Note to self:

1. What countries have favorable exchange rate to USD.

2. What countries have cheap flights to/from USA.

3. Figure out cost of boxes wanted "for personal consumption".

4. Research RT flight just to go cigar shopping - does it make sense to amortize the flight costs over the cost of the boxes?

5. Tell wife about the scheme and have her say "over my dead body" you'll do that.

6. Murder wife.

7. Research one way flight to non-extradition country.

8. Buy CC and find young new wife.

Perhaps we were separated at birth...  

• Like 1