This just in: Obama lifts restrictions on Cuban rum & cigars

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This makes me ill.  Right now I see extremely limited benefit to current American enthusiasts, and plenty of downside.

I like things how they are right now. I order from our host. I chill out for a 8-12 days. Then the nice lady from the Postal Service brings me amazing cigars right to my door. All at the touch of a li

"Sorry American couch potatoes: You can't order Cuban rum and cigars online and have them shipped to your home."   LMAO

... man, I now have written three responses to this thread and simply trashed them all, just reluctant to speculate.

Gentlemen, and ladies of course, completion is a good thing. More production is a good thing...

Poor management is a bad thing... Not knowing how to deal in an environment of higher production and greater demand, AND greater competition is a bad thing... Tabacuba will  need to get its shit together!

Tabacuba is poorly managed. New money for cigars into Cuba would be a good thing for Cuban cigars. This would mean fields not used for tobacco can be once more used to grow tobacco.

Except perhaps to those newer to cigars, there has always been growing problems, crop problems etc., and historically there have been shortages! Just deal with it!

Perhaps with smaller wrappers, the Cubans will figure out that they need more Coronas and other thin ring cigars back in their portfolio. Perhaps not!

The Cubans don't have a market in hand in the US. They will be met with completion and certainly law suits... Let the battle begin!!! Competition is great for the consumer and if it means that the NC makers must sharpen their pencils to compete in a once protected market then the Cubans will have battle hard to become accepted and be priced competitively.

Not all Americans are going to accept the flaws we do in Cuban cigars. If you have been around Cuban cigar for long, you know they get a pass on a lot of crap that they sell. Many Americans are going to look at wrappers and some boxes of coursley made cigars and judge with their eyes... Many are going to say, "This crap is not for me."

The Cubans are NOT used to dealing with Americans! The American market is used to being catered to... They want what 'they' want, not what is being made... Since they are not buying from a 'captive source' overseas, and can look at cigars, and have no 'understanding' for Cuban cigars, many will run from their looks alone. Others will be tossed in 75rH humidors, smoke one and never try another...! There is a pretty steep learning curve to understanding the Cuban cigar, and as a whole, the American smoker doesn't 'get it' and it might take many years before they do!

That is, if these executive orders are allowed to stand. There still exists, the Helms-Burton act. The FDA has not folded up shop, and they will be happy to slam the door on any new opportunity to get cigars outside of their control.

Micro brews can be great. So are many imported beers! This does not put domestic beers out of business. They just dig in and compete!

I look forward to the competition, and could care less about some boorish vendors not wanting to sell me Cohiba robustos! Let the circus of carnage begin. I will be viewing with my PC in hand, ready for the first blow that draws blood!!!

-the Pig

• Like 1

Hello All,

I have awakened from my hibernation with the announcement made yesterday.  These are exciting times for those of us here in the US.  We all knew this was inevitable, and is just the beginning of the embargo being lifted.  At least something good has come out of all the crap this election has stirred.  For my 2 cents worth I believe that those of us who have some aged stuff stored away will be very appreciative of our patience.  I do fear that the quality drop from 1999-2002, which we saw from the cigar boom, is likely to repeat itself, the question is how long until the full embargo is lifted.  If it takes less than a year, I don't think Cuba can bring quality production up fast enough, if 2-4 years, that will help ease the increased demand.  I am excited that when I travel in the future I don't have to stuff cigars in my dirty socks to prevent the customs agent from looking too hard, but my recommendation is BUY NOW!  Rob has supply and it is of excellent quality, in the future this may be more difficult.  Clearly prices will go up, but keep in mind that this has already started here in the US with the new FDA rules imposed.  Davidoff, and General Cigars have already increased wholesale prices citing the FDA causing their costs to go up (of course they have raised them without having any expenses imposed yet). 

Anyway, it is nice to be back and conferring with all of you again!!!!

Thanks

• Like 2

I would hope HSA realizes they are better of maintaining production levels where they can maintain current quality control and raise prices to control demand (somewhat). Not that I am hoping for higher prices but can't imagine HSA would want to see the same type of quality issues of the past as there trying to expand their business in a market as important as the US; never mind what it would do to its reputation in other parts of the world. Some will say I am giving them too much credit in planning properly but this really seems pretty basic to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Exactly, that would be the dumbest thing to do. As Piggy states in the above, they still have to compete and they have to win a market. Tossing out garbage would quickly ruin their reputation in the US. You can't sustainably live on the novelty- or long "forbidden fruit"-effect alone.

• Like 1

Agree with my two brothers above. Do not touch a thing. Let those of us in the know buy anything we can afford now until when needed and fill our room based on the Marca, kind and years we desire. Support the guys we know.

if new products suck, too bad.

CB

6 hours ago, Fugu said:

Exactly, that would be the dumbest thing to do. As Piggy states in the above, they still have to compete and they have to win a market. Tossing out garbage would quickly ruin their reputation in the US. You can't sustainably live on the novelty- or long "forbidden fruit"-effect alone.

Agreed a whole bunch...Already routine arguments with my local tobacco lounge owner who states "Cuban's are overrated, they suck", etc. among many others I run into there who smoked their Cohiba's from the glass top humidors down south. I surely don't want to hear once CC's are routinely purchased here someday and if QA goes down the toilet, "see I told you so"....:rolleyes:

On 10/14/2016 at 9:43 AM, BarryNY said:

Note to self:

1. What countries have favorable exchange rate to USD.

2. What countries have cheap flights to/from USA.

3. Figure out cost of boxes wanted "for personal consumption".

4. Research RT flight just to go cigar shopping - does it make sense to amortize the flight costs over the cost of the boxes?

5. Tell wife about the scheme and have her say "over my dead body" you'll do that.

6. Murder wife.

7. Research one way flight to non-extradition country.

8. Buy CC and find young new wife.

Lol, This is the best comment I've ever read!..

• Like 1

On 10/14/2016 at 0:46 PM, topdiesel said:

I am sure if anyone will test this question it will be you.  Please report back when you discover the limit.  A shipping container might be too much.

Suitcases will be packed to the brim. Time to come home to papa.