Ginger Coke (is a thing)

Yes believe it or not, Ginger Coke is now 'a thing'. Although I've not tried it yet, I want to re-assure you that my son, who goes through Ginger Beer like water, will be trying the stuff this summer, as will I. And if you live in Australia, so will you, but only for the summer season.

This is Coke's first new flavour since Vanilla Coke about 10 years ago.

Source: News.com.au

Ginger Coke.jpg

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JohnS said:

Yes believe it or not, Ginger Coke is now 'a thing'. Although I've not tried it yet, I want to re-assure you that my son, who goes through Ginger Beer like water, will be trying the stuff this summer, as will I. And if you live in Australia, so will you, but only for the summer season.

Ginger Coke.jpg

vanilla coke which no one bought because it was disgusting...... will give the ginger a try cheers John

1 hour ago, rxavier1979 said:

Sounds interesting. Doesn't look like it will make it to the states though.... Anybody remember New Coke in the 80s?

No, thankfully! :lol:

17 minutes ago, westg said:

vanilla coke which no one bought because it was disgusting...... will give the ginger a try cheers John

Yeah, I agree, vanilla coke is too sickly sweet for me, although I'd have cherry coke any day! -_-

6 hours ago, JohnS said:

Ginger Coke.jpg

Do you know HOW TO GET RID OF BUBBLES WHEN POURING COLA IN A GLASS?

http://m.liveleak.com/view?i=b83_1477661711

• Like 4

I used to despise the vanilla and cherry Cokes. And hated Doctor Pepper.

But as I have grown up, I have developed a weird penchant for these drinks that taste like medicine. 

I believe it is related to the fact that, growing up, my go to was Chinotto. Freaking love it.

As a result, if I see Doctor Pepper or flavoured cokes, I tend to order them, just to punish myself a little.  

Looking forward to this ginger coke though John. Ginger Beer and Chinotto are the only soft drinks I currently stock in the garage.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jackupster said:

Pepsi has one too! Haven't tried the ginger version but I tried the cola. It's a more intense flavor than regular Pepsi. If you haven't had Reed's Ginger Beer do so...it's the best

41f+LJ2Kl6L._AC_UL320_SR230,320_[1].jpg

I managed to find the Ginger Pepsi on my last trip to B.C. and loved it. Reed's is awesome, but the Pepsi is a lot more mellow.
When we went back to Vancouver last week, there was none to be found. I guess I'll just have to go back to mixing my own Ginger Cola.
On the bright side I did manage to find the Poutine Flavour Potato Chips while up north, so, at least I have snacks.

6 minutes ago, Jeremy Festa said:

But as I have grown up, I have developed a weird penchant for these drinks that taste like medicine. 

I believe it is related to the fact that, growing up, my go to was Chinotto. Freaking love it.

As a result, if I see Doctor Pepper or flavoured cokes, I tend to order them, just to punish myself a little.  

Looking forward to this ginger coke though John. Ginger Beer and Chinotto are the only soft drinks I currently stock in the garage.

Many people think that carbonated soft drinks have to be sweet or even gooey (think Mountain Dew), but there are any number of old-style lemonade drinks that are anything but.  Chinotto is a fantastic example, as is dandelion and burdock (quite popular in Northern England) or Kinnie, a medicinal-tasting lemonade ubiquitous in Malta...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferrero said:

I miss cherry coke! Haven't seen it for a few years now, John.

Yes, true Greg. I got onto it after a family holiday to the USA in 2011 (remember when the Aussie Dollar was on parity with the US Dollar, those were the days!) Costco Supermarket in Sydney stocked some for awhile and that is where I picked some up. Need to go back to the store!

1 hour ago, Jeremy Festa said:

Are you serious? People look at me funny when I talk about chinotto! I love the stuff like you wouldn't believe too! Bisleri, San Pellegrino...just give to me, will drink! :buddies:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jeremy Festa said:

If this is the case, you'd love "Moxie".    Tastes like bad medicine cola

.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moxie

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Are you serious?  :buddies:

Deadly

And Campari is made from it too.

I want to plant a chinotto tree in my little citrus grove. 

And sometimes, when I have run out of chinotto drinks, I add a touch of campari to coke, just replicate the flavour. 

• Like 1

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2016 at 2:14 AM, rxavier1979 said:

Sounds interesting. Doesn't look like it will make it to the states though.... Anybody remember New Coke in the 80s?

Yes, it was the biggest debacle in the history of the world. As a Coca-Cola lover, that new formula was absolutely horrible. Whomever was behind that decision certainly hung himself from a tree! LOL.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, NYgarman said:

Yes, it was the biggest debacle in the history of the world. As a Coca-Cola lover, that new formula was absolutely horrible. Whomever was behind that decision certainly hung himself from a tree! LOL.

Everything I heard at the time and shortly after was blind taste test after test consistently showed a preference to "new" Coke over the current formula, so they made the switch.  But the idea of Coke changing was just too much for people to accept.   Coke had done far too good of a job selling people on the idea of connecting good times and good memories of their lives with Coke.  They really felt betrayed.  Interesting business and psychological phenomena.

- MG

• Like 1

I must have been like 8 to 10 years old or so.  I remember actually kind of liking it, but my dad would constantly curse it...  Maybe children who liked the new shiny design and  who were impartial to tradition but no income weren't necessarily the best target market...  Although they say that at the time Coca Cola was losing market share to Pepsi and that this could have all been just a huge PR ploy. As we're currently experiencing for ourselves in certain ongoing national elections, sometimes bad PR can also be good PR...

• Like 1

I read up on the Wiki site about the history of "NEW COKE". The CEO of Coca-Cola at the time and the brains behind new Coke was Roberto Goizueta. Ironically, he was from Havana, Cuba. Speaking of Cuba, Fidel Castro was an avid Coca-Cola drinker and when the formula was drastically changed he was livid and refused to drink it. Wow!! All I know is before a company attempts a drastic change in their product, they best not forget the "New Coke" disaster of 1985!