Where are the SLR DCs?

Not in Havana apparently... is it officially discontinued as it's no longer in HSA's regular catalogue?  

Anyhow, here's the excerpt from G. Mott's article that I found interesting:

The big news is that nearly every shop had a full range of Double Corona (7 1/2 by 49, the standard size) cigars in boxes of 25 including Punch Double Coronas (272.50 CUC), Ramon Allones Gigantes (261.25 CUC), Bolivar Corona Gigantes (246.25 CUC), and Partagás Lusitanias (283.75 CUC). Not every shop had the Hoyo de Monterrey (285 CUC), but they were available. A notable feature of almost every Double Corona box I checked, was that they had box dates starting in March 2016, and the vast majority had box codes of June, July and August 2016. I found one box of Punch Double Coronas from November 2013 at Club Habana, and one box of Ramon Allones Gigantes at the Meliá Habana from November 2015.

Full article here:

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/blogs/show/id/too-many-choices-19053

I seriously hope the SLR DC is NOT discontinued.  IMHO, it's the best DC on the market.  The profile changes from first light through nub are an amazing journey.  It will be a sad day when or if production stops on these beauties!

I doubt it has been discontinued. I think Saint Louis Rey is just a niche marca and may sell fewer in comparison to others. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that double coronas (although wonderful) also do not have the same sales numbers when compared to robustos or jaw-breakers. I believe SLR DCs are also sold in cabs of 50?  With these things combined it wouldn't surprise me if they are taking a production break. Just my opinion and assumptions of course. I hope we see some more soon though.

The on-line catalogue below...

http://www.habanos.com/en/vitolario/

has the following vitolas missing:

1) Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux 

2) La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No. 2

3) Saint Luis Rey Double Corona 

4) Saint Luis Rey Serie A 

5) San Cristobal de La Habana El Morro

Then again, they have the Juan Lopez Seleccion No.2 listed twice!

• Like 1

Just now, JohnS said:

Well that just opens up a can of worms on account of the SLR Double Coronas listed as discontinued in 2015, Fonseca No.1s discontinued in 2012 and El Rey del Mundo Choix Supremes discontinued in 2015 also!

In a week Ill be back in Cuba. Hoping to see SLR DC's and LGC MdO #2's!

Is it just me, or does it seem like Habanos is discontinuing every single cigar I actually enjoy and WANT to smoke? 

Meanwhile, producing truck loads of absolute shit. IE Monte Open and 500ish RyJ vitolas. 

Frustrating is an understatement..... 

• Like 1

that will really make me unhappy. and make me wish i had not smoked through mine like they were never-ending.

did the big audit recently and thought i really need another cab as going through them. crap.

also, i have never seen them on any trip to cuba. only ever got them through rob.

rob, do you recall ever seeing them in cuba?

• Like 1

Back in March I saw (and bought) a couple singles from somewhere, as I was pilfering through that bunch of smokes from that trip tonight and was contemplating smoking one. 

If any of my cards worked on that trip, I might very well had bought the box. 

Never been a big fan - I've one '05 left from a large bundle which I'm loathe to smoke....

I was privileged to partake in a five year tasting of '07 SLR DC run by RA here - if anyone cares to read, this should take you to the yearly threads:

http://www.friendsofhabanos.com/forum/search/?&q=saint luis rey dc group review

Perhaps more recent vintages have shown more promise, but for me they've pretty much been the epitome of mediocrity

I have not seen any box of SLR DC in Havana since 2014 (went 3 times)...  At least it's good to know that DCs are back. I hope that those who attend the big fiesta next in a couple of weeks find some gems.  I didn't see any aged (5y +) in the LCDH, except at Abel Diaz's restaurant that had a nice selection of vintage cigars - including some old customs from La China.  Cigars were pricey but the food was great.