French Wines That Don't Break the Bank

Hypersomniac

I was talking with my friend/coworker the other day who is just getting into wines. I like wine, but know a bit more about Italian than French. What are some good French wines to start with that don't break the bank?

I find more value and excitement in Italian wines.

It is rare I find a French wine with the concentration and depth of Italian wines.

Also,when you go up a $$ grade in Italian wines, you get your $$ worth, not so much with French wines.

Ferrari or Peugeot ??

I would look more toward the specific regions within France that offer good value.  Two great value wines are Cru Beaujolais or Chinon.  If you like Burgundy, Pommard and Volnay both offer good values.

I could offer specific wines, but you have to go with what is available to you and decide.

From a global perspective, Portugal is making the best wines for the money IMO.

On 12/11/2016 at 3:40 PM, garbandz said:

I find more value and excitement in Italian wines.

It is rare I find a French wine with the concentration and depth of Italian wines.

Also,when you go up a $$ grade in Italian wines, you get your $$ worth, not so much with French wines.

Ferrari or Peugeot ??

If you like concentration you should try some wine from the south (languedoc Roussillon)

In this region you will find the best price value in france, especially in AOP terrasses du larzac. If you prefer light wine, try some anjou or bourgueil

Ferrari, and you, moscato d asti or champagne????

when talking sparkling, only Champagne will do.

Cava,Sekt,Moscato,Cremant, all have to step aside when the boys from Epernay are in town.

No other will suffice,although I have had some sparkling Shiraz that went down well............

• Like 1

17 hours ago, garbandz said:

when talking sparkling, only Champagne will do.

Cava,Sekt,Moscato,Cremant, all have to step aside when the boys from Epernay are in town.

At the highest level, sure Champagne may make the best, but under $100 USD, there are plenty of nice alternates from USA and UK.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mosesbotbol said:

At the highest level, sure Champagne may make the best, but under $100 USD, there are plenty of nice alternates from USA and UK.

I agree. And if you haven't tried a Sparkling Shiraz, you haven't lived.  :D  A nice Cava or Prosecco is brilliant with a cigars and won't break the bank either.

Just now, bundwallah said:

I agree. And if you haven't tried a Sparkling Shiraz, you haven't lived.  :D  A nice Cava or Prosecco is brilliant with a cigars and won't break the bank either.

Champagne or Madeira are my favorite alcoholic beverages with a cigar. 

25 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

Sparkling Shiraz.....we have 3 different maker's product available in town,quite a bit of range in styles.........

I drink a good bit of the other fizzies, generally in summer ,often with fresh fruit juice........