Petit Coronas

Being fairly new my main cigars are typically the robusto size. Great smoke time and size combo for me with the occasional pyramid mixed in. I've been thinking of trying a few petit coronas when I want a quicker smoke. I think I've just always operated under the assumption that this smaller size ring gauge equaled less flavor(I know, sounds dumb) but I just have never tried them. 

How is the flavor intensity in this size? I know that's a tough question but I guess I'm asking if you get the same dense and flavorful experience from a smaller cigar like this. 30ish minute smoke time? 

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

PCs never leave me wanting in terms of flavor and richness when they're good. In fact, many--including myself--think that the most flavorful and richest CCs are generally found at 42RG and below. 

The Petit Coronas is almost the perfect cigar. I feel that spot is saved for the Coronas, of which there are few to be found. I enjoy most that I have yet favor more the many that are no longer m

I very much enjoy 50+ rg cigars.  I guess me and my small penis will go buy more Macanudos from Rob since I am just a Neanderthal with no taste buds and only smoke to be cool and have no interest in f

I have been buying up PC's like they are going out of style lately. I love a PC with my morning coffee on the weekends.
The Intensity is there just not as complex IMO. A Bolivar PC will kick you in the beanbag and won't even kiss you on the neck afterwards.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

On top of @NSXCIGAR suggestions (I gotta look into those tubos now) I'd suggest San Cristobal El Principe (molasses, floral, cake) and the ever popular PLPC.

The HUPC's are fantastic!

I agree that you definitely get the same sort of experience from these in a 45-60 min time frame.  I'd choose a Petit Corona over the other short format "large" cigars like the Petit Robusto.

• Like 1

I hate to share negative thoughts here but I must. I'm a shorter smoke kinda guy, and a narrow ring gauge kinda guy. But I've found habanos such as the Boli PC and the Upmann PC have left me with nothing but frustration with the tightest draws of all my sticks. And we're talking HQ selections. Maybe it's me. I do like a nice open draw (which I've found fairly consistent in the ugly yet delicious Boli No2 and more recently the uglier kick you in the pants Boli 1). I've found for the shorter smokes with small ring gauge the best bets have been with minimal fail, both the Boli Corona Junior and the Party Short cabs. I'd suggest going this route. Edit: I've also had great luck with the R&J PC and Mille Fleurs. 

In the meantime my '14 drop dead gorgeous HU PCs will rest and rest and rest until those damn draws open up. 

When I'm looking for a 30-35 minute cigar I invariably grab a minuto such as a Partagas Shorts, San Cristobal de La Habana El Principe, a perla such as the Cohiba Siglo I or Montecristo No.5 or a Trinidad Reyes. These have all served time as my 'go-to' cigar in the past 12 to 24 months.

I'm also hoping to sample the Ramon Allones Smallclub Corona and Rafael Gonzalez Perla sometime in the next 12 months. If you like 'earthy' flavours, go for the Bolivar Corona Junior.

I too enjoy a 42 ring gauge petit corona, but I also like my shorter standard ring gauge cigars also.

• Like 1

The HUPCs from recent 24:24s have been very smoking very nice.  Like Rob says, "If you know Petit Corona then you know about the Upmann. If you don’t then do yourself a favour and find out."

• Like 2

On ‎19‎/‎11‎/‎2016 at 2:26 AM, Cep said:

@JohnS Seems crazy that you have never had a RASCC ?!?  lol

I have sampled a few, but for some reason never gone deep. Yes, I have to rectify this. I've enjoyed many other Ramon Allones vitolas, even more exclusive ones such as the venerable '09 Celestiales Finos, the special '13 Hunters & Frankau Aniversario 225 and a few recent El Libano Regionals (there seems to be a RA Regional made for that part of the world every year!). I think the Ramon Allones Superiores is a 'magical' cigar, I just love the size and blend and I'd never say "no" to the ever-reliable RASS. Yes, the RASCC is an anomaly in my cigar journey for which I blame the many other wondrous Habanos minutos and perlas which have successfully distracted me! :lol:

• Like 1

My absolute favorite vitola!  Instead of being mild, I've found them to often offer more richness, depth and complexity than most other vitolas within any given brand.

If you can smoke these in 30 minutes, I'd say they're either abnormally dry and/or you're a powertoking machine.  A PC with good construction often lasts me from 60-90 minutes.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

I have sampled a few, but for some reason never gone deep. Yes, I have to rectify this. I've enjoyed many other Ramon Allones vitolas, even more exclusive ones such as the venerable '09 Celestiales Finos, the special '13 Hunters & Frankau Aniversario 225 and a few recent El Libano Regionals (there seems to be an RA Regional made for that part of the world every year!). I think the Ramon Allones Superiores is a 'magical' cigar, I just love the size and blend and I'd never say "no" to the ever-reliable RASS. Yes, the RASCC is an anomaly in my cigar journey for which I blame the many other wondrous Habanos minutos and perlas which have successfully distracted me! :lol:

And where is the Gigantes in all of this?  I was truly downtrodden when I smoked my last '09 - each and every one from the box was a journey.  And for a 2 hour+ smoke, I don't recall ever getting bored with the flavor progression.

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

I have sampled a few, but for some reason never gone deep. Yes, I have to rectify this. I've enjoyed many other Ramon Allones vitolas, even more exclusive ones such as the venerable '09 Celestiales Finos, the special '13 Hunters & Frankau Aniversario 225 and a few recent El Libano Regionals (there seems to be an RA Regional made for that part of the world every year!). I think the Ramon Allones Superiores is a 'magical' cigar, I just love the size and blend and I'd never say "no" to the ever-reliable RASS. Yes, the RASCC is an anomaly in my cigar journey for which I blame the many other wondrous Habanos minutos and perlas which have successfully distracted me! :lol:

I am the same. Never tried a RASCC but partly because I enjoy the same cigars you mention. Of course, I would add the RA Gran Robusto to that list

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, earthson said:

And where is the Gigantes in all of this?  I was truly downtrodden when I smoked my last '09 - each and every one from the box was a journey.  And for a 2 hour+ smoke, I don't recall ever getting bored with the flavor progression.

The last one I had I greatly enjoyed too. I just don't have enough of the longer cigars in comparison to the shorter ones, which I have much more often. 

Petit Coronas offer a big bang for the buck and most boxes are in the $150 dollar range.

My favorites:

H. Upmann petit coronas

Montecristo #4

Rafael Gonzalez petit coronas

These are all Marevas; 5.1X42 and provide about the same smoking time as a Robusto. For myself that is 60 minutes. Not too short, not too long. Perfect.

• Like 1

I find the PCs to be a superior value to the robustos. The smoking duration is roughly equal, for me anyway. While some complexity may be lost, the smaller cigars tend to be little flavor bombs in my experience. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the robustos as well, but I definitely recommend exploring marevas, minutos, cremas, etc. 

• Like 1