Petit Corona Del Punch : 2002 (no code) : VR&C&P&SP Review Comp 2016

Philc2001

Vitola: Petit corona del punch

Box date: 2002 (code unknown)

Smoke date: 11/18/2016

IMG_4760 2.JPG

Not the prettiest in the humidor, or the best specimen from this cab. Wrapper is a bit rough, the seams are a little loose, and there are multiple prominent veins through the length of the cigar.

I trimmed it shallow and neat. Cold draw is slightly tight, but good. Pre-burn draw reveals very little. Once lit the cigar produced moderate smoke. The flavor is earthy and rich, with toasted tobacco front and center and sweet wood in the backdrop. The aroma is distinctly Cuban twang and somewhat reminiscent of barn hay.

IMG_4763.JPG

Flavor through the first third seems a bit muted. I get toasted tobacco and some cedar, but little else. However the aftertaste is sumptuous with elements of tea and sourdough. I've smoked about 40 of this cigar's sisters from this cab, but this one is a little different.

As the first third gave way to the second, the flavor intensified, and a sweetness emerged. The cigar now turned creamy and medium bodied, with a good dose of cocoa, some cumin, and a cedar aroma. I was still sensing tea in the aftertaste, with toast. 

IMG_4765.JPG

The last third seems to be the best. The aroma has become more earthy and has more twang. The taste of tea, toast, cocoa and spices has evolved and turned more creamy and chewy. There is a slight hint of pepper on the finish. Burn has been perfect and straight, with a solid ash that seems to hang on forever.  

IMG_4766.JPG

This is an impressive cigar, one that will be sorely missed. The flavor evolved throughout, getting richer, creamier, and more complex. Not a hint of harshness. I rate this cigar a 9 on my personal scale, for a slightly slow start, but an outstanding experience. Wholly satisfying.IMG_4769.JPG

• Like 1