Store in original boxes...(In humidor of course...)

Just wondering how many of you store your cigars in original boxes?

I keep mine in original boxes in a "antique" copper lined cabinet that I picked up about 10 years ago. Probably only holds about 6 boxes high but thats as much as I will every have at one time. A Cigar Oasis Excel has been doing the job for several years now.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, saintmickey said:

Just wondering how many of you store your cigars in original boxes?

I keep mine in original boxes in a "antique" copper lined cabinet that I picked up about 10 years ago. Probably only holds about 6 boxes high but thats as much as I will every have at one time. A Cigar Oasis Excel has been doing the job for several years now.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

All of my cigars are store me in original boxes except the ones that I expect to smoke soon. 

Probably 90-odd percent of my CCs sleep in their boxes in my wineador. The rest are in a large desktop. For me, it's a space thing - they'd all be in their original boxes if the wineador wasn't bursting at the seams.  

• Like 1

I have about 60 boxes in a temperature and humidity controlled humidor. The All are in original boxes until I get down to about 5 to 7 cigars. Then they are stored loose to make room for their replacement box. It's a constant game of Tetris.

I also keep a 300 count humidor for singles mostly for non Cuban cigars for guests to enjoy and a 50 count at work for the frequent after lunch, after work or thank a tenant cigar.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I store mine in their original boxes, and I store the boxes in a large cooler with several 69% Boveda packs interspersed among them.  I keep some one-off singles or fivers inside these boxes to the extent there's room for them (i.e., the HDM Epi1's go inside the Mag46 cab).  Any that can't find a home in a box inside the cooler go in a desktop humidor I maintain with Bovee packs.

49 minutes ago, chris12381 said:

The All are in original boxes until I get down to about 5 to 7 cigars. Then they are stored loose to make room for their replacement box. It's a constant game of Tetris.

This.  Exactly.  Original boxes mainly.  I have two larger "End Table" Humidors, a small wineador (unplugged), 3.5 Desktops (1 is tiny), a cooler and a big ass plastic container I store mainly customs and temporary overflow in.  Being a split junkie has over packed my singles drawers and thinking about organizing them gives me high blood pressure.  Thankfully I think @Hurltim is helping me to solve this. Ugh. First world problems....

• Like 3

All in original boxes, except for my singles, they are in drawer #3 in the cabinet....not sure why #3, just ended up that way, but that is mega full, and I'm looking at another drawer now for the overflow, and I try to keep them all together with no non cubans around them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Original boxes/cabs with singles arranged in used boxes by size or character just for tidiness. Plus I have used boxes around the place holding general stuff such as change or keys or screws or just crap.
NCs & quick grabs loose in desktop.

Thanks for all the replies...clearly we have a consensus....store in the box.  I guess this makes sense as everyone here takes this "hobby/addiction/love" very serious and it would be hard to take all the cigars out of the box and organize.   Good to hear everyone's replies none the less.  

I guess I could have asked the question another way... is there a downside to storing in original boxes but clearly there is not.

• Like 1

For me, I always preferred natural, unfinished, exposed grain wood cabinets. Dress boxes covered in paper may be pretty, and I do use them while the cigars acclimate. But shortly after I transfer them to cabs for proper storage and aging.

It might be myth, but I always felt that cigars age better in cabs. I also believe cabs balance humidity better too.

Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

"I guess I could have asked the question another way... is there a downside to storing in original boxes but clearly there is not."

Opinions vary.

I prefer the cedar cabinet for storage. I have used this method since the mid 80s, still working great .

Long term exposure to the paper boxes can cause a mustiness in the cigars, and can encourage mold due to moisture retention.

Cabs allow more air to reach the cigars and seem to let them age more quickly in the first couple of years.

You get better moisture balance in a cab. 

Cabs take up less room, and you can store more than 25 cigars in a deep cab.

If you like the aroma of cedar, get fresh NC cabs from your local B&M ,or line older cabs with cedar from fresh boxes.

Just my $.02 worth.......

2 hours ago, Philc2001 said:

For me, I always preferred natural, unfinished, exposed grain wood cabinets. Dress boxes covered in paper may be pretty, and I do use them while the cigars acclimate. But shortly after I transfer them to cabs for proper storage and aging.

It might be myth, but I always felt that cigars age better in cabs. I also believe cabs balance humidity better too.

Just my $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, garbandz said:

"I guess I could have asked the question another way... is there a downside to storing in original boxes but clearly there is not."

Opinions vary.

I prefer the cedar cabinet for storage. I have used this method since the mid 80s, still working great .

Long term exposure to the paper boxes can cause a mustiness in the cigars, and can encourage mold due to moisture retention.

Cabs allow more air to reach the cigars and seem to let them age more quickly in the first couple of years.

You get better moisture balance in a cab. 

Cabs take up less room, and you can store more than 25 cigars in a deep cab.

If you like the aroma of cedar, get fresh NC cabs from your local B&M ,or line older cabs with cedar from fresh boxes.

Just my $.02 worth.......

Thanks...Thought there must be another side out there!

3 hours ago, garbandz said:

Often heard but still unfounded rumour. I've never observed such. If you are getting musty dressboxes, then your storage moisture is too high in the first place. Under normal storage conditions dress boxes don't get "musty". Never.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fugu said:

Often heard but still unfounded rumour. I've never observed such. If you are getting musty dressboxes, then your storage moisture is too high in the first place. Under normal storage conditions dress boxes don't get "musty". Never.

Just curious, but would you say the same thing about cardboard petcas too?

13 minutes ago, Notsocleaver said:

Just curious, but would you say the same thing about cardboard petcas too?

Absolutely. I have heard some people complain that over time, the cardboard "outer" boxes that come with Behike, Esplendidos and some Regionals will get musty but never had a problem with dress boxes. 

• Like 2

Have a 10 count box of lusitanias that i tore the cover off to store singles or the last few from a near empty box that i want out to re-tetris the cooler.  Besides those if it came in a box it stays in a box.