Store in original boxes...(In humidor of course...)

On 11/25/2016 at 10:22 PM, zeedubbya said:

This.  Exactly.  Original boxes mainly.  I have two larger "End Table" Humidors, a small wineador (unplugged), 3.5 Desktops (1 is tiny), a cooler and a big ass plastic container I store mainly customs and temporary overflow in.  Being a split junkie has over packed my singles drawers and thinking about organizing them gives me high blood pressure.  Thankfully I think @Hurltim is helping me to solve this. Ugh. First world problems....

Just go all in and buy the boxes. It's easier that way.......

12 hours ago, canadianbeaver said:

What if a person said they stored in boxes, in plastic bags, in big metal boxes? Would you say they were askin' for trouble with a capital F?

Nino?  Is dat you? :P 

• Like 1

On 26/11/2016 at 11:10 PM, Notsocleaver said:

Just curious, but would you say the same thing about cardboard petcas too?

Yes, same thing there. But - caveat - the cardboard petacas is a special case, as the cigars contained can adopt that particular cardboard smell when stored for longer periods in a petaca and the cardboard single boxes some sticks come in. But this is not a mouldy, musty note, it simply is that typical unpleasant recycled paper, cardboardish note.

Stored at decent moisture (<70% rH at room temp), neither dress boxes, nor petacas, nor Behike, Swinnie or 898 covering boxes will become musty. But if so - it can be taken as an excellent proxy for indicating a necessary check of storage conditions!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2016 at 9:21 AM, Fugu said:

Yes, same thing there. But - caveat - the cardboard petacas is a special case, as the cigars contained can adopt that particular cardboard smell when stored for longer periods in a petaca and the cardboard single boxes some sticks come in. But this is not a mouldy, musty note, it simply is that typical unpleasant recycled paper, cardboardish note.

Stored at decent moisture (<70% rH at room temp), neither dress boxes, nor petacas, nor Behike, Swinnie or 898 covering boxes will become musty. But if so - it can be taken as an excellent proxy for indicating a necessary check of storage conditions!

Had never thought of this possibility...another reason to keep that % lower!

all my smokes are in original boxes and my tubos boxes are still all in the tubes as well, for me over the past 10 yrs I have come to enjoy aging the cigars in the tubes

• 3 years later...
On 12/9/2020 at 9:46 PM, Viva Vegas said:

Can you store cigar boxes on side in humidor or flat?

I “try” to avoid it, but it’s inevitable to maximize the space.  I typically will slide one or two vertically between my stacked boxes on their flat sides.  I have no science behind it, but I always put the foot side of the cigars down.  Maybe it will lead to cracks at foot, but usually after a quarter inch I’ve burned through them is my logic, where as cracks/issues at the head can plague the entire smoke. Again, no science there, just how I choose to justify or reason.  I also don’t do it with any of my nicer stock, but for me to put some of my Bolivar Royal Corona dress boxes or BPC/Monte 4, for example, vertically is a common site in my humidor.  

• Like 1