Questions about going to Cuba bringing back cigars

Morgan

8 hours ago, QuaiDorkay said:

How do I contact Alex for the custom rolls please?  I will be in Havana tomorrow for the week.  Many thanks.   

Alex email is alexglezarias86 at gmail dot com 

ph: (53) 7204 5551 ext 1272

• 1 month later...
11 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

I wasn't asked a single question by customs in Cuba or the US about my 100 (or so :D) sticks and 7 bottles of Rum. 

Just flew back from Havana to Newark today and got hassled by Havana security/customs about my 10 boxes. They asked for a receipt and said a bunch of other things in Spanish I didn't understand. The guy put up two fingers I think saying I had more than two and there was a problem. Some lady spent a while on the phone with someone as they seemed like they knew they were expensive and wanted to do right by me. I had a receipt for four boxes (my girlfriend had saved for a scrap book) and that seemed to do the trick. All were in our carry ons so I don't know what would have happened if I'd checked them. US customs didn't ask us a single question or give our bags a second look.

No limit hey 2 cigars here then you get taxed to roof do you guys pay tax?

and in answer to the thread title what cigars there disappearing fast soon it will be "Habano" the company formally known as a cigars manufacturer  :D

I got stopped at HAV security checkpoint as well for my 100 customs as well. Lucky Alex provided me a factura, but still they took their time asking me questions and verifying if the factura is legit, almost missed my flight. 

• 4 months later...

Just returned from a trip to Cuba and was stopped by customs in Havana.  It sounds like there is a renewed effort to eliminate counterfeits so they are stepping up their cigar inspections.  They checked each box against the receipts but had no issues with the custom rolls. 

Also, I don't know if this is enforced, but there is a 5,000 CUC limit on cigar exports per individual.......

Just returned from a trip to Cuba and was stopped by customs in Havana.  It sounds like there is a renewed effort to eliminate counterfeits so they are stepping up their cigar inspections.  They checked each box against the receipts but had no issues with the custom rolls. 

Also, I don't know if this is enforced, but there is a 5,000 CUC limit on cigar exports per individual.......

how many custom roll did you purchase and how did you pack your haul? mix match in different bags or all in one?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, amaxp81 said:

how many custom roll did you purchase and how did you pack your haul? mix match in different bags or all in one?

I had 90 packed in my carry on; 3 different vitolas, 30 sticks of each.  Each vitola was wrapped in saran wrap as a separate bundle.  I put each bundle in a separate LCDH bag although I'm not sure that helps at all. 

The shops left the customs off of the receipts, so they were not documented as LCDH purchases.  I don't know if that is standard, but I suspect it is.

• Like 1

I had 90 packed in my carry on; 3 different vitolas, 30 sticks of each.  Each vitola was wrapped in saran wrap as a separate bundle.  I put each bundle in a separate LCDH bag although I'm not sure that helps at all. 

The shops left the customs off of the receipts, so they were not documented as LCDH purchases.  I don't know if that is standard, but I suspect it is.

so my wife and I shouldn't have issues with 100 each or so plus some standard box purchases ?

1 minute ago, amaxp81 said:

so my wife and I shouldn't have issues with 100 each or so plus some standard box purchases ?

The advice I got was to pack 50 in checked luggage, and bring 50 in your carry-on.  This is per person, so your 100 each sounds right.  You actually check your luggage before you go through customs so I don't know if they keep track of the cigars that are checked and those in carry on luggage for each traveler.

I had the odd luck of being taken to the customs office while my checked luggage was being examined, so they actually checked both sets of luggage at the same time.  They were more focused on authenticating the branded cigar boxes and may have simply forgotten about the custom rolls. 

• Like 1

So if you buy boxes do you leave them sealed?  I can't determine whether that is the norm or not from all the posts I have read.  Also, if you put stuff in your checked luggage do you leave the factura in your luggage with the cigars or keep it with you?  Just curious if they were to search your checked luggage if it would happen when you still had your bag with you or if that is something that would happen after you have already checked your bag in.

8 hours ago, zlc410 said:

So if you buy boxes do you leave them sealed?  I can't determine whether that is the norm or not from all the posts I have read.  Also, if you put stuff in your checked luggage do you leave the factura in your luggage with the cigars or keep it with you?  Just curious if they were to search your checked luggage if it would happen when you still had your bag with you or if that is something that would happen after you have already checked your bag in.

I left mine sealed since the Cuban government requires it.  Kind of a bummer, but I didn't want to take chances.  This is straight from the Cuban government website;

http://www.aduana.gob.cu/index.php/que-necesita-autorizacion-2

Cigars:

Travellers leaving the country must orally declare to Customs all cigars they are taking with them or in the accompanying baggage.

As long as the passengers meet the requirements established to export cigars, they can take:

Up to twenty (20) units of bulk cigars, without submitting any document.
Up to fifty (50) units of cigars, but they must be in their original package, unopened, sealed and with the established official hologram. The export is not authorized without meeting these requirements; and

For more than fifty (50) units of cigars, which cannot exceed the amount of 5,000.00 CUC, passengers should produce the formal sale invoice issued by the store chains authorized to sell Cuban cigars, corresponding to all cigars they intend to export which must be in the original package, unopened, sealed and with the established official hologram.

The quantity of cigars exceeding fifty (50) units not declared by travellers and any quantity exceeding the quantity declared, or that having been declared its legal purchase is not backed up by the formal sale invoice, or the packages do not have the attributes and the other requeriments identifying them as Cuban cigars, will be seized.

Do not leave the store without checking the cigars in the box. You may have a nasty surprise when you get home. Every store in Cuba has let me open the boxes before paying. 

• Like 1