NC prices

In Florida for the week. There's a store right by the condo that has a great selection.

However, the prices are through the roof!! NCs are insanely expensive now - at least in Daytona. Why would I spend 10$ US (so 13$ for me) for a linear Fuente when I can purchase from our host a great box of CCs packed with flavour and complexity for oftentimes less??

I used to buy NCs whenever I was visiting Florida. I've always enjoyed some of the premium NCs once in a while. I guess those days are behind me (unless I go to New Hampshire maybe).

have prices really gone up everywhere or I just struck out this time?

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, polarbear said:

You're not really comparing apples with apples here

When you purchase from our host you are paying (mostly) tax free prices where as when you purchase from a B&M directly you are paying for the local state taxes as well

Look at the AUD prices compared to USD prices in todays 24@24, while a chunk of the difference is due to the exchange rate, the lions share of the difference is due to Australian duty and tobacco excise on tobacco products.

I imagine you'd have the same issue if you purchased from a Canadian B&M as well

Your intuition about taxes is actually incorrect. Look up the taxation tables for tobacco in the various States and you'll find out that FL, PA and other States have low (sometimes zero) taxes on cigars...

Yes, taxes are very low or zero in some states. Mine is not one of them, but I stopped purchasing NCs from B & Ms long ago. Unfortunately, the prices at my local LCDH are not great either as MX taxes are high. 

Interestingly, I've noticed that many of the highest-rated NCs are not typically that expensive. Sure, a Padron 1926 is going to set you back $30, but Oliva, My Father and Aging Room, for example, are in line with CC prices (<$10). There is certainly much more range in NC pricing but there are certainly good NC smokes to be had in the $10 range.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, treberty said:

In Florida for the week. There's a store right by the condo that has a great selection.

However, the prices are through the roof!! NCs are insanely expensive now - at least in Daytona. Why would I spend 10$ US (so 13$ for me) for a linear Fuente when I can purchase from our host a great box of CCs packed with flavour and complexity for oftentimes less??

I used to buy NCs whenever I was visiting Florida. I've always enjoyed some of the premium NCs once in a while. I guess those days are behind me (unless I go to New Hampshire maybe).

Welcome to the dilemma! Bye bye NC's! (For most of us from the US)

100% agree with @Bohn007 on this..

• Like 2

1 hour ago, treberty said:

I wish I had your problem...

• Like 1

While this site and others offer good deals on box purchases, we are kind of talking apples and oranges when comparing a single cigar in a box purchase to a single picked up at a B&M.  I would think that in general the price for a single in a shop will be somewhat higher than an on-line store when making a box purchase.  

The only B&M I regularly get to is Fumare in Reno, home of Illusione.  While their price on Illusiones is pretty good, the rest of their stock seems a bit overpriced.  But that's what you get for the walk-in, beautiful lounge, attendant, free coffee and bottled water etc.  

• Like 1

Actually, Florida is one of only four states / districts without a cigar excise tax in the US, as is NH.  So, I'd say you are getting hosed.  Remember that prices are all over the place, depending upon where you go.  The sticks in my shop are usually a buck plus lower than most places around here.  This is a nationally owned shop and we have huge purchasing power.  We just got Anejos Sharks in at just under 12 bucks.  That's pretty good pricing, considering they often go for nearly 20 elsewhere.  If you find yourself over in Sarasota or the Tampa area, give a shout!  Have a great vacation!  

Which shop in Daytona? There's a few, probably a couple with better pricing....

I would expect B&M prices to be higher than online, for whatever type of cigar. When I look at other retailers online, I do find the price of NCs to be lower than a similar sized Cuban. I personally quite like some NC cigars as they offer a different profile to Cubans. 

It will be interesting to see what prices an LCDH would have in America, when/if they ever are allowed to open.

2 hours ago, El Presidente said:

In Oz 

RRP for Monte 4 is $26 AUD ( $20 USD)

RRP for BBF is $48 ( $36 USD)

Madness. 

Madness? Yes. Highway robbery? Most definitely! And In 3 months, our wonderful pollies will raise the price again.

• Like 2

An esplendido here (Ottawa) retails for about $100 Canadian per stick.

A sigloV is about $70.

Yes, its ALL due to taxes - they seem to think that by jacking the tax, fewer people will smoke. They believe this because sales go down according to the retailers. The reality is that people just stop buying them from the retailers - they go black market.

The tobacco black market (and alcohol) is HUGE in Canada.

An interesting report attached for those interested.

contraband-tobacco-in-canada.pdf

I don't think there's any question regarding value with CCs vs NCs.  In addition to all the reasons stated previously, you also have to consider the Cuban government has the ability to suppress wages and material costs in a way that Dominican and Nicaraguan manufacturers usually cannot, which gives Cuba an edge in production costs.

Most of the NCs I smoke these days come from AGANORSA/TABSA in Nicaragua (primarily Warped and Illusione).  If I had to pay retail price for them, I'd only buy singles when visiting a lounge.  I can usually find what I'm looking for discounted enough to make them fairly comparable price-wise with most Cuban cigars I like.  The higher dollar Padron, Fuente/Opus, Davidoff, etc., are all fine cigars that I just don't believe are worth their asking price.  

My favorite store in Chicago charges more than that, and $25 for a Davidoff when I am considerate to the owner. Add 30% for the US dollar of course to our CDN$.

Whatever...

Not a cost effective activity at our level usually. At least when I ask many smoking folks.

I only buy my cigars in Havana, Andorra or from our host.  I haven't bought a cigar from a Canadian B&M for probably 10+ years and it was only when I could get aged Monty 4s for the same price than fresh ones.

In the US I always thought that prices were reasonable for great sticks (Tats, Camacho from pre-rebranding, Padrons, some Fuentes). I always compare to what I'll spend in Havana: last time I bought a box of NC was last March (Padron Londres, approx 80USD).  They are now selling for 120$ here.  Great little cigar for 3 bucks, but for 120$ I can get a nice box of Cuban PCs that have been graded by Rob or his team  

In Oz 

RRP for Monte 4 is $26 AUD ( $20 USD)

RRP for BBF is $48 ( $36 USD)

Madness. 

And I thought taxes were high here. Monte 4 is around $16 USD, while a party shorts is $13. I'm not moving to Australia anytime soon. Truly madness.

7 hours ago, treberty said:

I only buy my cigars in Havana, Andorra or from our host.  I haven't bought a cigar from a Canadian B&M for probably 10+ years and it was only when I could get aged Monty 4s for the same price than fresh ones.

In the US I always thought that prices were reasonable for great sticks (Tats, Camacho from pre-rebranding, Padrons, some Fuentes). I always compare to what I'll spend in Havana: last time I bought a box of NC was last March (Padron Londres, approx 80USD).  They are now selling for 120$ here.  Great little cigar for 3 bucks, but for 120$ I can get a nice box of Cuban PCs that have been graded by Rob or his team  

No experience with yellow tape? How's the comparison then?