Cuban Regional Release.

The only one I've tried was received at the Partagas opening dinner a few weeks ago. It was too early to tell (for this particular example) exactly what they will turn out to be. Construction was solid, literally, and smoke output very good. I smoked mine 2nd in the day after a stunning Petite Edmundo. I didn't notice the SLR to be much "stronger" than that, so I would say solidly medium. The flavors were not nearly as well defined at the monte though, which is why I hesitate to judge good or bad, they need some rest to my taste. I wasn't blown away enough to search out any boxes before I left, but I'm not usually and SLR fan as it is. If you like SLR and large ring cigars I would see no reason not to source a couple boxes. 

18 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

The only one I've tried was received at the Partagas opening dinner a few weeks ago. It was too early to tell (for this particular example) exactly what they will turn out to be. Construction was solid, literally, and smoke output very good. I smoked mine 2nd in the day after a stunning Petite Edmundo. I didn't notice the SLR to be much "stronger" than that, so I would say solidly medium. The flavors were not nearly as well defined at the monte though, which is why I hesitate to judge good or bad, they need some rest to my taste. I wasn't blown away enough to search out any boxes before I left, but I'm not usually and SLR fan as it is. If you like SLR and large ring cigars I would see no reason not to source a couple boxes. 

Thank you for the feedback ,  Corylax18.

Was the Partagas Gala dinner a few weeks ago already? The mojito diet was a success! I lost a whole week!

I smoked the SLR that night as I wanted to know if I should bring some home. Bad idea as my palate was totally muddled. I recall enjoying it but I cannot really say why. Of course the shops I visited the next day had been cleaned out of their stock already or all boxes were spoken for. I watched a guy put the entire master case into a huge suitcase at the LCDH at the Hotel Nacional. He would not spare me single box...

One more thing, I think they were selling for 117 CUC for a box of 10.

1 hour ago, Drguano said:

Was the Partagas Gala dinner a few weeks ago already? The mojito diet was a success! I lost a whole week!

I smoked the SLR that night as I wanted to know if I should bring some home. Bad idea as my palate was totally muddled. I recall enjoying it but I cannot really say why. Of course the shops I visited the next day had been cleaned out of their stock already or all boxes were spoken for. I watched a guy put the entire master case into a huge suitcase at the LCDH at the Hotel Nacional. He would not spare me single box...

One more thing, I think they were selling for 117 CUC for a box of 10.

Sounds about right Peter... Smoked one the night of the dinner myself, thought it nice though at that time of evening truly hard to say.

Managed to grab a box, watched a gentleman from the UK grab 15 boxes now up for 3x the price....

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CanuckSARTech said:

Didn't get the chance to smoke mine from the Encuentros Partagas opening dinner.

FUZZ lost my grab bag.  :tantrum:

;)  :stir:  :devil2:

Consider yourself lucky. 

I remember a mate called Machin who lost 150 custom Hamlets (to be split between 5 of us) on a fishing trip at Las Salinas. He also left a bottle of Château d'Yquem on the canoe. 

Idiot :tantrum:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CanuckSARTech said:

Didn't get the chance to smoke mine from the Encuentros Partagas opening dinner.

You weren't the only one with a lost grab bag! (as you may recall) ;-)

4 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Consider yourself lucky. 

I remember a mate called Machin who lost 150 custom Hamlets (to be split between 5 of us) on a fishing trip at Las Salinas. He also left a bottle of Château d'Yquem on the canoe. 

Idiot :tantrum:

8 hours ago, CanuckSARTech said:

Don't forget my American friend who lost $3000+ worth of cigars to Cuban Customs (2/3rds of his purchases that week) at the Havana Airport on the way out because he didn't have the facturas to go with his boxes.

It can always be worse.....

3 minutes ago, ChanceSchmerr said:

Don't forget my American friend who lost $3000+ worth of cigars to Cuban Customs (2/3rds of his purchases that week) at the Havana Airport on the way out because he didn't have the facturas to go with his boxes.

When did that happen?

46 minutes ago, ChanceSchmerr said:

I'd like to hear more about this one...

Anything over 50 cigars and you need the facturas. I went out with only 180 this time and they got all excited at the Varadero airport until I showed them the facturas. It has happened before but I've always been sure to have them or you risk confiscation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

He is a good friend and fellow Islay Whisky fan I met in Scotland initially - he's not on FOH or anything.

He's never been to Cuba before that week, and didn't know about needing Facturas at all - so he was caught unaware when they confiscated his boxes at Jose Marti Airport on the way out.  He had purchased about $5K worth of cigars, and he told me they took 2/3 of his cigars away.  That said - he did have all his cigars in one big suitcase, I can't understand how anyone would think that's a good idea.  I always spread mine out regardless of where I'm travelling.

Maybe that says more about me, always picking up cigars wherever I go so I'm used to hiding them LOL

5 hours ago, Hash said:

Hey guys what about the main question of this topic.?

It was young  (fresh/slightly wet) . It was good.  But to be honest by the time many of us had reached the Tuesday/Wednesday to smoke it (Partagas Opening for many or day after for me) we did it no favours. It was a 100 mile an hour existence on our part. 

The best accounts will be in a month or so. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

It was young  (fresh/slightly wet) . It was good.  But to be honest by the time many of us had reached the Tuesday/Wednesday to smoke it (Partagas Opening for many or day after for me) we did it no favours. It was a 100 mile an hour existence on our part. 

The best accounts will be in a month or so. 

This is why I havn't smoked my Gala sample of it yet.  Now just working through a bad cold, but will try next week and post my impressions.

A tablemate lit his during the dinner.  The cigar had an excellent draw but came off as very light in both strength and flavor; probably due to our diminished palate from the week.  As a result, while boxes were available, I didn't purchase any.

Fast forward to a few days ago, I smoked mine and it was much stronger with very good flavors though still young - kicking myself for not buying any.

• Like 1