I am SORELY tempted....

This thing is SO tempting.  Would basically need nothing IMO, but 60mm CPU fans up at the top blowing right to left and inside the ice box itself blowing up would promote wonderful circulation I'm thinking....  Each side is 14x14" square and ought to handle two dress boxes side by side easily.  Metal shelves already in place would not hinder air circulation.  I have an unused LeVeil humidification unit that ought to be ideal for this box and I don't believe I would even have to drill any holes to get power inside.  A wire should easily fit up through the ice box water drain hole....   Doors seal quite well already, but maybe a foam weatherstrip would be a benefit.

Someone (besides my wife) tell me it's a bad idea please.....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

I love practical antiques.  I think that would be a class act.

That's a beautiful piece.   -They just don't grow oak like that anymore.-

4 hours ago, Hurltim said:

14x14? Looks much bigger than that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

yeah, Tim, I roughly measured the width of the left side.  I think I could easily get 6 boxes of Monte 2 size on each middle wire shelf.  Top shelf would maybe go 8 or 10 as it's considerably taller up into the cab.  Bottom shelf on the left an easy 8 boxes.  OR lots of SLBs across the bottom shelf as there's no divider.  Galvanized ice area could stand a removable shelf install for additional storage.  The entire cabinet exterior is 18" deep and about 32" wide.  Stands 40-42" tall.  I'm guessing about 40 boxes in there....  Not enormous, but serviceable.  Interior is the porcelain finish so it's still pretty nice in there.

4 hours ago, BarryNY said:

How much $$$?

Under $250 - grab it!

Not remotely or I would have already.  Asking $550. It's been there a while despite being in very nice condition.

Hmmm...I love those old ice chests--just a great piece if history to have in the man cave or if the wifey is OK with it, in the house. The bigger question is, do you see yourself outgrowing 40 boxes?

37 minutes ago, Hurltim said:

Hmmm...I love those old ice chests--just a great piece if history to have in the man cave or if the wifey is OK with it, in the house. The bigger question is, do you see yourself outgrowing 40 boxes?

Tim, I have 100+ on hand now (I didn't get sent to Camp W for my good looks!!).   Just really liking the possibilities and I love a project!  I'm betting I could get more in there.   It would replace an end table humi i have now and look way cooler doing it.  Edit: also, not all my boxes would be the size of a Monte 2 box for sure.  Lots of smaller PC dress boxes, Cohiba tubos and 10ct boxes.   If I stuck to that size it would likely hold 80+.

Only real downside would be lack of temperature control. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BuzzArd said:

yeah, Tim, I roughly measured the width of the left side.  I think I could easily get 6 boxes of Monte 2 size on each middle wire shelf.  Top shelf would maybe go 8 or 10 as it's considerably taller up into the cab.  Bottom shelf on the left an easy 8 boxes.  OR lots of SLBs across the bottom shelf as there's no divider.  Galvanized ice area could stand a removable shelf install for additional storage.  The entire cabinet exterior is 18" deep and about 32" wide.  Stands 40-42" tall.  I'm guessing about 40 boxes in there....  Not enormous, but serviceable.  Interior is the porcelain finish so it's still pretty nice in there.

Not remotely or I would have already.  Asking $550. It's been there a while despite being in very nice condition.

That's a fair price. I've seen dozens of these go in auctions for double that... and the insides look horrible compared to that. What a beautiful piece. It's a great opportunity to convert a unique humidor

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BuzzArd said:

Tim, I have 100+ on hand now (I didn't get sent to Camp W for my good looks!!).   Just really liking the possibilities and I love a project!  I'm betting I could get more in there.   It would replace an end table humi i have now and look way cooler doing it.  Edit: also, not all my boxes would be the size of a Monte 2 box for sure.  Lots of smaller PC dress boxes, Cohiba tubos and 10ct boxes.   If I stuck to that size it would likely hold 80+.

Only real downside would be lack of temperature control. 

I kinda figured you had more than 40 :) 

I am not sure what type of insulation they used back in the day but it's probably not as good as modern stuff. The best thing about those ice boxes is they are built like TANKS! 

I think it would be a cool project but any mods you did to it would most likely wreck an resale value if that's a concern.

9 hours ago, BuzzArd said:

This thing is SO tempting.  Would basically need nothing IMO, but 60mm CPU fans up at the top bowing right to left and inside the ice box itself blowing up would promote wonderful circulation I'm thinking....  Each side is 14x14" square and ought to handle two dress boxes side by side easily.  Metal shelves already in place would not hinder air circulation.  I have an unused LeVeil humidification unit that ought to be ideal for this box and I don't believe I would even have to drill any holes to get power inside.  A wire should easily fit up through the ice box water drain hole....   Doors seal quite well already, but maybe a foam weatherstrip would be a benefit.

Someone (besides my wife) tell me it's a bad idea please.....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

This type of wonderful foolishness should be on the "Camp W" thread. This is why you are a founding member! 

• Like 1