"Sour Grapes"

BMWBen

2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

'48 Fonseca has really sublime.  Still grapey!  Awesome color and plenty of life to it.  Would've thought it was a '66 or even younger.  Did not drink like a pretty old port.  I gave it 98 points.

77 vs 80; the WOTN was tie between the '77 Warres and '80 Graham.  '77 Dow was little off, '77 Fonseca was tasty, and '80 Dow was still young.  For me it was 3 points between the lowest and best, but the color an appearance of the '80 was more than just 3 years younger.  I am not going to chase any '77 vintage at this point.  Next year I bet a lot will be consumed globally as it is an anniversary year.

Saturday night I had an '85 Croft (nothing special, but better than I remember) along with a magnum '02 López de Heredia Viña Tondonia.

i've still got almost at least half a dozen of the warres so pleased to hear it is drinking well. love to see the fonseca 48.

had a few wines with half a dozen mates on saturday - one of our better tastings -

Theme was Grand Cru or something you thought was that sort of quality level. The Jadot was a bit oxidized but everything else was utterly stellar. The first two champers were warm-ups. The rest blind. 

Le Mesnil Blanc de Blancs NV

Pol Sir Winston 2002

Philipponnat Clos des Goisses 2000

Colin-Morey Chevalier Montrachet 2008

Brunello Marroneto 2010

Rayas 2001

Kusuda Pinot Noir 2014

Lafite 1990

Giacomo Conterno ‘Monfortino’ Barolo Riserva 2008

Rousseau Clos de Bezé 2006

Vietti ‘Riserva Villero’ 1996

Chave 1990 (magnum)

Jadot Batard Montrachet 2006

Zilliken ‘Forstmeister Geltz’ ‘Rausch’ Gold Cap Auslese 2010

On 12/12/2016 at 5:08 PM, Ken Gargett said:

Theme was Grand Cru or something you thought was that sort of quality level. The Jadot was a bit oxidized but everything else was utterly stellar. The first two champers were warm-ups. The rest blind. 

Pol Sir Winston 2002

The Bolinger must've been extraordinary.  '02 is the hot vintage from them right now and Sir Winston bottles are always top notch. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 6:16 AM, bundwallah said:

Don't know about that one.  Was thinking large scale fraud along the same lines by an individual or group.  I know counterfeits are out there but is someone faking cigar vintages to the same degree as these two did with wine?  If so , refrain from using real names of anyone who is active and not accused / convicted.

You ever heard of a guy who goes by the forum handle "Triple Liegro"?

That would be my pick for one of the worst cigar scams in recent memory

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/6/2016 at 9:30 PM, BonVivant said:

the scams of Monsdales with Enrique Mons, who did start those Monsdales in the 90s are still going on, with folks claiming that they are rolled after the man, Enrique Mons, retired in 2013, and died shortly atrer?

On 12/6/2016 at 9:32 PM, BonVivant said:

And the scams with Taboada's custom rolled cigars??? Give me a break

On 12/6/2016 at 9:38 PM, BonVivant said:

and Reynaldo?????, being the manager of LCDH - where does he have time to roll bullshxt bundles  for anyone who comes to his LCDH???? 

I really call bullshxt

Care to elaborate on these claims? 

On 12/22/2016 at 8:09 PM, polarbear said:

You ever heard of a guy who goes by the forum handle "Triple Liegro"?

That would be my pick for one of the worst cigar scams in recent memory

I was trying to remember this guys handle... very much like the documentary where the people who had gotten scammed refuse to believe it and attested to the quality being to good to be fake.