Montecristo Especial No.1 Review

Montecristo Especial No. 1

Reviewed 5/16/2005

Length: 192 mm, 7 ½ inches

Ring: 15.02 mm, 38

Vitola: Laguito No.1

Origin: Cuba

Box Code: OCT 03

I received this cigar from a very generous brother that shares the same passion for cigars and Habanos as I, and he simply asked me to enjoy this cigar and if possible to jot down a few words about it. I have really been enjoying smaller ring Habanos due to what I feel is better flavors and complexity from them.

The Especial No.1 presented a richly colored medium brown Colorado wrapper. I did not find a single flaw in it and the construction was perfect. The body of the cigar held a firmness to it and gave a slight resistance to the touch. This was a beautiful cigar from the heft, weight, look, construction, aroma, and what I was soon to experience, the flavors and complexity. The triple cap of the Laguito No.1 had a slightly bent over pig tail that looked a little worn and was probably due to shipping. It made no difference as I cut the cap it would be gone anyway. The pre-light aroma was earthy, but what really got my totally undivided attention was the draw, it was perfect, not too loose or too firm, it was the epitome of what a draw of a cigar should be. Perfect

The Especial No.1 started from the very first draw with intense flavors. There was no waiting period, just vibrant, full Technicolor delicious flavor. I was greeted with flavors what tasted like old aged tobacco, not a cigar that was only about a year and a half old. Followed with a deeply rich mocha and coffee flavor that developed into a creamy toffee layer on my palate. This cigar danced around on my tasted buds and it was as graceful as a World Class Ballroom dancer could be. It developed mid-way with notes of vanilla bean which turned into a dryness that reminded me of spicy toast. The subtle sweet spiciness developed nicely into notes of gingerbread. The Especial No.1 burned straight, never needing a touch-up or correction. The ash surprised me, as it was almost totally white, which I rarely find in a Habanos. The ash held firm for 1.5 inches in between taps into the ash tray. I was really amazed with the richness of the flavor in this cigar and told myself that I needed to secure a box or two of these because they were such an exceptional well crafted, complex, flavorful cigar. This was another small ring Habanos that delivered above expectation and was over 1.5 hours of pure Habanos heaven.

I would rate this cigar as a 94

Guest Sailor

Nice review, kinda makes me want to try some "skinny cigars" .:-D

Your package is leaving today, had some slight delays but, we are on track now.

Thanks for the great review. While my experience with the Partagas Serie du Connaisseur # 1, was nearly identical to that which you described in your prior review of that vitola, I was not nearly as enthusiastic about the Montecristo Especiale. It was beautfully made, and drew well, but I did not find either the fullness of flavor or complexity that you experienced. I have another one in the humidor, and will give it another try in a couple months or so.

» Montecristo Especial No. 1

» Reviewed 5/16/2005

» Length: 192 mm, 7 ½ inches

» Ring: 15.02 mm, 38

» Vitola: Laguito No.1

» Origin: Cuba

» Box Code: OCT 03

»

» I received this cigar from a very generous brother that shares the same

» passion for cigars and Habanos as I, and he simply asked me to enjoy this

» cigar and if possible to jot down a few words about it. I have really been

» enjoying smaller ring Habanos due to what I feel is better flavors and

» complexity from them.

»

» The Especial No.1 presented a richly colored medium brown Colorado

» wrapper. I did not find a single flaw in it and the construction was

» perfect. The body of the cigar held a firmness to it and gave a slight

» resistance to the touch. This was a beautiful cigar from the heft, weight,

» look, construction, aroma, and what I was soon to experience, the flavors

» and complexity. The triple cap of the Laguito No.1 had a slightly bent

» over pig tail that looked a little worn and was probably due to shipping.

» It made no difference as I cut the cap it would be gone anyway. The

» pre-light aroma was earthy, but what really got my totally undivided

» attention was the draw, it was perfect, not too loose or too firm, it was

» the epitome of what a draw of a cigar should be. Perfect

»

» The Especial No.1 started from the very first draw with intense flavors.

» There was no waiting period, just vibrant, full Technicolor delicious

» flavor. I was greeted with flavors what tasted like old aged tobacco, not

» a cigar that was only about a year and a half old. Followed with a deeply

» rich mocha and coffee flavor that developed into a creamy toffee layer on

» my palate. This cigar danced around on my tasted buds and it was as

» graceful as a World Class Ballroom dancer could be. It developed mid-way

» with notes of vanilla bean which turned into a dryness that reminded me of

» spicy toast. The subtle sweet spiciness developed nicely into notes of

» gingerbread. The Especial No.1 burned straight, never needing a touch-up

» or correction. The ash surprised me, as it was almost totally white, which

» I rarely find in a Habanos. The ash held firm for 1.5 inches in between

» taps into the ash tray. I was really amazed with the richness of the

» flavor in this cigar and told myself that I needed to secure a box or two

» of these because they were such an exceptional well crafted, complex,

» flavorful cigar. This was another small ring Habanos that delivered above

» expectation and was over 1.5 hours of pure Habanos heaven.

»

» I would rate this cigar as a 94

I've got a precious few of these left from a 1997 box, EL Laguito factory and they are awesome. They really mellow with age and despite the occassion broken foot or slightly damaged wraper, they get better every year. Just like people!

• 4 months later...

Sept 05. Smoked during a power blackout at home, so difficult to offer much re appearance (just hope I got the right cigar). Had a light oily note to the touch and the telltale pigtail. Elegant smoke, with spice and earth notes, reasonably powerful. Also some coffee bean notes and an attractive earthy armagnac character. Lots of roasted nuts. Moved at mid pace. This deceptive little thing packed quite a punch and for me is one of the most powerful of all the Montecristo range. 89.

• 2 months later...

Would anyone like to offer a comparison between this and similar size cigars like the Lanceros, Fundadores, LCG MDO No.1, Grandes España, and I guess those Partagas Connoisseur that Rob's always carrying on about?

I've never tried any, I'm bored, and it seems like something that would be fun to read about.