Drunken 1 am Black Friday Humidor Online Purchase Remorse

So, after returning home from a memorable Thanksgiving feast, I checked my email and found one from a site that I'd dealt with in the past stating 25% off until 4 am. I'd been thinking of adding a little more storage in my office and saw a Lauderdale End Table. I bought  it, it arrived last Tuesday and I put a medium bowl of distilled water inside with three hygrometers and waited. 5 days later and it one hygrometer says 53%, the second says 55% and the third says 59%. I put in some weather stripping and no change. The hygrometers have been recently calibrated with a Boveda kit. 

Has anyone used a Lauderdale unit? Is it really a Ladadale? Are you wondering 'what was he thinking being an economical (cheap) humidor online?' I blame it on the drink...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drguano said:

Good thinking. If things don't budge by tomorrow, I'll pick up some Boveda 84's...

I typically wipe down the entire interior surface of the humidor with a wet paper towel/cloth to accelerate  the seasoning process. Might move things along for ya..

2 hours ago, Drguano said:

So, after returning home from a memorable Thanksgiving feast, I checked my email and found one from a site that I'd dealt with in the past stating 25% off until 4 am. I'd been thinking of adding a little more storage in my office and saw a Lauderdale End Table. I bought  it, it arrived last Tuesday and I put a medium bowl of distilled water inside with three hygrometers and waited. 5 days later and it one hygrometer says 53%, the second says 55% and the third says 59%. I put in some weather stripping and no change. The hygrometers have been recently calibrated with a Boveda kit. 

Has anyone used a Lauderdale unit? Is it really a Ladadale? Are you wondering 'what was he thinking being an economical (cheap) humidor online?' I blame it on the drink...

Watch the gap around the power outlet.  This manufacturer is notorious for a poor seal in that spot, and, with a box that size - it will allow the humidity to leak out.  Also, there's plenty of spanish cedar and it's probably dry.

To season, I'd use 4 shallow bowls with distilled water to get the most exposed surface area possible - 2 on the bottom and 2 on the shelf.  If you can get a small fan - I'd run that 24/7 while seasoning to encourage evaporation.  I bought one of their tower models and although not the most gorgeous piece of woodwork (it's in my unfinished basement) - it holds the RH% well.  When I first got it after sealing the power outlet I was able to get it up to 75%RH after 5 days with the distilled water bowls spread out throughout along with 2 40mm USB fans running constantly.  Also, take advantage of the power outlet and use an Oasis type of active humidification system when you're ready to stock it up.  GL.

Just keep giving it some time. I have an end table humidor that's slightly bigger than the one you purchased. It took about a week to fully season with 2-3 bowls of distilled water placed throughout the bottom section. 

not one of those but quite a few years ago, our glorious leader was selling some smaller carry packs - looked like little silver suitcases. took about 18-20 cigars and are rather neat. great for longer trips. love mine. but the smokes are not in them long enough for exact humidity to be much of a concern. they do have a small hydrometer (and neat cutter) in separate sections.

a mate also bought one. he rang me a few weeks later bitching and moaning. claimed we'd been dudded. the hydrometer didn't work (asked cardinal whipcrack and he told me that they were for effect only and not intended to work, or so he says).

my mate eventually tested his by dropping it in a bucket of water for three days. did not move the needle the slightest. i still get a giggle from that.

• Like 1

Good thoughts. I don't wipe the wood with water to avoid warping. On day two, I used weather stripping sound the door and power outlet (where there were some gaps big enough to slide coins through). Tonight I will add a couple more bowls of distilled water. My concern has been the fact that the hygrometers haven't changed a point in three days. So more bowls of distilled H2O tonight and then I'll give the 84% Boverda packs a shot if things don't shape up. This is my fifth wooden humi and I am trying to find room for the stash from Havana currently residing in Ikea and Rubbergal tubs. I also have two Igloos which are nice as they did not require seasoning! Now if I can just win the Lotto so I and get that enormous Aristocrat. Wait, if I win the Lotto, I'll be building a walk in humidor...

Nice looking cab.  

I have a similar one albeit with two doors on the front.   I think the manufacturer misunderstood that not everyone lives in Cuba, South Florida or Houston....  Cigar oasis XL would run continuously and need refill every 2-3 days until I weatherstripped the unit.  Then it would last a bit over a week.  I ended up getting a LeVeil unit because it holds 1/2 gallon and I get about 3 months out of that.  They just don't seal all that well.....

You need active humidification for an end table. Especially in cold, humidity free winters in Minnesota. I seasoned mine with the cigar oasis xl2 for about a week before filling with boxes. The humidifier by itself did an awesome job. I have had this same setup since 2008. Cigars stay perfect. I have 40 or so boxes on there. I turned the humidifier sideways just to take photo. 

20161206_143402.jpg

20161206_143542.jpg

Update: after adding two more dishes of distilled h2o, r/h is going up. Two hygrometers are now showing 61-63%. Looking good.

NYGARMAN I am going to try beads to start with but may have to get active and am looking at the Oasis XL. Thanks!

Wet sponges will usually give better and quicker results than bowls of water.  Nice humidor!  Congrats!