What do you use on your Habanos? Guillotine, Punch, V Cutter or BITE

I use a v-cutter for torpedos and a scissor cutter for all others. I had a razor sharp guillotine that went walking at one of my last herfs...

• Like 1

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Start with a punch. If the draw is tight, off with her head!

this

I used a double bladed guillotine cutter for a couple of years and still use it for torpedoes, but I use a V-cutter nowadays for everything else. The cap is rarely damaged and the draw is usually just fine.

On very rare occasions I might need to do an "X" with the V-cutter or even guillotine the head off if the draw is just too snug, but that's maybe one cigar in 50 and the draw is usually still too tight (so it wasn't the type of cut).

Almost exclusively double bladed guillotine cutter or scissors (preferred, but only at home) for the last decade. I strongly prefer a full cut/open draw on any cigar. I even cut Padrons although many people do not like this kind of easy draw. I do. The very rare occasions I forgot a cutter, a pocket knife or finger nails will do the job to. I tried once or twice but never use a punch cutter again.
e595ba58d48403cc468ad525b45a4d35.jpg

Gesendet von meinem D6603 mit Tapatalk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cerebrum said:

Almost exclusively double bladed guillotine cutter or scissors (preferred, but only at home) for the last decade. I strongly prefer a full cut/open draw on any cigar. I even cut Padrons although many people do not like this kind of easy draw. I do. The very rare occasions I forgot a cutter, a pocket knife or finger nails will do the job to. I tried once or twice but never use a punch cutter again.

How do you like that Xikar XO cutter?

40 minutes ago, Aardwolf said:

How do you like that Xikar XO cutter?

Cleanest cuts I´ve ever had with a cutter - very precise, like those good scissors.

It´s a little bulky, which bothers many guys as I have heard. Not a big deal for me since I rarely carry it around in my pocket. The price is a little bit over the top, but my LD gave a me a generous discount. Last but not least I very much like the operation of this thing, and I always wondered why nobody else came up with this parallel-running blade thing...

Long story short: I like it very much and would recommend it. 

Hopefully it stays sharp and keeps working - otherwise I have to use the lifetime guarantee as I had to with many Xikars lighters in the past. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It really depends on mood! LOL

I got all types of cigar cutters and prefer guillotine cutter as it allows the tar to be evenly distributed on the cigar head rather than concentrate on a smaller hole (e.g. the effect of punch cutter). :rolleyes:

On 12/6/2016 at 7:01 PM, Cerebrum said:

I got the same Donatus big cut scissors too. However, my pair of scissors got a big problem (the two blades are not perfectly touching together so it doesn't provide a perfect cut.I mean one of the blades is bent towards the other blade, so that a gap forms when the scissors are closed). I am very disappointed with Donatus. They used to make the best quality cigar scissors but not anymore. Have you got the same problem? :(

Guillotine only, unless I can't find it or left it at home, or in the car, or at work, in which case I use my thumbnail. I've got 2 double-bladed guillotines, a Zino with both blades sliding, and a Xikar with one of the blades fixed. I prefer the fixed-blade Xikar because it's got a bigger hole, and it's easier to set the cap correctly when lining up the cigar. I never bite, but I do always moisten the cap before cutting.

I got the same Donatus big cut scissors too. However, my pair of scissors got a big problem (the two blades are not perfectly touching together so it doesn't provide a perfect cut.I mean one of the blades is bent towards the other blade, so that a gap forms when the scissors are closed). I am very disappointed with Donatus. They used to make the best quality cigar scissors but not anymore. Have you got the same problem? 

Oh, sorry to hear that. As you said, they used to make the best quality, and indeed mine is perfect in fit, finish and funktion. I have mine for many years, so it's not bought recently...
However I'm sure you can contact them an they find a solution.
It's more or less a one-man company. I know they had issues sourcing high quality steel, but during this time the simply did not produce the sissors. This is why many customers (including me) had to wait several months to get them...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cerebrum said:

Oh, sorry to hear that. As you said, they used to make the best quality, and indeed mine is perfect in fit, finish and funktion. I have mine for many years, so it's not bought recently...
However I'm sure you can contact them an they find a solution.
It's more or less a one-man company. I know they had issues sourcing high quality steel, but during this time the simply did not produce the sissors. This is why many customers (including me) had to wait several months to get them...

Yes, i guess they have quality problems lately...i got mine two weeks ago LOL i think i will send it back to the German LCDH for a refund or exchange. =(

Hope Donatus can fix the quality issue and continue to produce the best quality cigar cutter. 

I was given a pair of scissors for Christmas (Davidoff) and love them. Will be my go-to at home going forward. So much easier to line up on the cut. I generally use a guillotine for 42 RG and above (double blade Davidoff) and a V-cut below 42 (Colibri). Have straight-cut smaller lanceros, etc. and strongly prefer the V. 

On 12/4/2016 at 10:40 PM, Hutch said:

Haven't carried a cutter in many years. I pinch the very top of the cap off, pulling the "lump" out of the divot. On the rare occasion that I smoke a pyramid or beliCoso, I borrow a cutter or use my pocket knife.

Ditto.    I've found that pinching the cap off works great on CCs asides from figurados and pyramids.  

• Like 1

Double curve blade cutter for Pyramids.  Often choose a punch for anything else....size of punch depends on Ring Gauge.  When I'm out and around, prefer to carry less in my pockets so appreciate my Xikar Bronze Pulsar G2 lighter with punch incorporated.

Yes, i guess they have quality problems lately...i got mine two weeks ago LOL i think i will send it back to the German LCDH for a refund or exchange. =(

Hope Donatus can fix the quality issue and continue to produce the best quality cigar cutter. 

They had a batch of incorrectly finished scissors and they would take them back for an exchange.

Mine is still perfect after 6 years of use.

However, lately I've been gravitating heavily towards my xikar V-cut.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Lotusguy said:

They had a batch of incorrectly finished scissors and they would take them back for an exchange.

Mine is still perfect after 6 years of use.

However, lately I've been gravitating heavily towards my xikar V-cut.

Xikar is now the leader in the cigar cutter world. I love their X8 and Xi2 cutters. They never let me down. I also love their lifetime warranty! ^_^

Xikar is now the leader in the cigar cutter world. I love their X8 and Xi2 cutters. They never let me down. I also love their lifetime warranty! 

If only the same could be said about their lighters...
  • Like 2

I use a every method (straight, punch, v-cut) except for scissors.  What method I use is dependent on how I feel.  Frequently I'll switch back and forth.  There's a great variety of cigars in this world so that's why I don't limit myself to one cigar.  I feel the same with cutting method.  I'm also a gear and accessory geek so there's no shortage of options.

Just now, Lotusguy said:

If only the same could be said about their lighters...

I haven't tried any Xikar lighters yet. Regarding cigar cutters, i love my Prince torch lighter PB-207 (they got a big fuel tank and it's very durable). =D

I will try to get a Xikar lighter later on and compare it with my Prince lighter.