What is your profession/job & how many cigars do you have right now?

I'm a Database/ETL architect.  I got into it a bit later in life after nearly 20 years in Supply Chain management.  3 years into the hobby, I am currently sitting on roughly 1700 sticks (all CC), another 200 or so in 'transit'.  Relatively modest, mostly Montecristo, Partagas and H Upmann.

• Like 2

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wheelwright and restorer of Big Healeys..... an obscene number..........

If I posted it and my wife were to ever read it, she might kill me.....

I count ballots in Pennsylvania. I have between 1 and 100,000 sticks. 

• 1 month later...

Lots of IT guys.  I’m a Strategic Account Exec for Oracle Technology.  Which I suppose will now make me very unpopular here ?.

I have 1148 cigars at this moment.  Not counting my NCs laying around.  It’s a mix of all Marcas, there’s no Marca I dislike completely.  Upmann has the most vitola examples (Partagas close second), Bolivar has the highest quantity, I always have lots of BPC, BRC, and BBF on hand.

• Haha 1

Real estate PE here. Usually 300-400 but it seems impossible to keep track with the number always moving around (usually growing...)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GolfT3 said:

Real estate PE here. Usually 300-400 but it seems impossible to keep track with the number always moving around (usually growing...)

I use an app called Cigar Scanner to keep a running list of my inventory with dates of receiving, box codes, quantities.  Also has tabs where I can enter my tasting notes like a cigar journal to keep track of purchase prices, vendors, etc.  Super easy and quick once everything’s loaded.  I’d recommend so you don’t have to search tracking info to know if it’s been 30-60-90 days of rest for example for specific sticks, or just track maturity.  It was either free or a couple bucks, can’t remember.  Anyways that works for me.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, mprach024 said:

I use an app called Cigar Scanner to keep a running list of my inventory with dates of receiving, box codes, quantities.  Also has tabs where I can enter my tasting notes like a cigar journal to keep track of purchase prices, vendors, etc.  Super easy and quick once everything’s loaded.  I’d recommend so you don’t have to search tracking info to know if it’s been 30-60-90 days of rest for example for specific sticks, or just track maturity.  It was either free or a couple bucks, can’t remember.  Anyways that works for me.  

Good idea, thanks! Tracking resting period is a tremendous pain, especially the way shipping has been this year.

• Like 1

Engineer working in Finance now. 750 cigars in my NYC apartment aprox. right now...important backlog shipping wise, so i probably +30-50% over next 2 months, which my wife i think will not love...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Gorangutang said:

That’s a very exact number Bijan. Something tells me you probably have a spreadsheet somewhere with all of them logged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I started with a spreadsheet. Now I also have them on Cuban Cigar Website. Only downside is I have to update in 2 places now :)

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Bijan said:

Yes I started with a spreadsheet. Now I also have them on Cuban Cigar Website. Only downside is I have to update in 2 places now :)

Who doesn't have a spreadsheet?  How do they sleep at night?  ?

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Grady said:

Who doesn't have a spreadsheet?  How do they sleep at night?  ?

?️

I'm at the stage that I have too many boxes and I'm too lazy to start a spreadsheet so it's unfortunate.

I feel that if I keep buying I'll eventually get to a stage where the boxes I forgot about will be vintage at the back of the humidor and I won't have to keep buying from BR.

• Like 2

I have a college degree in IT and I plan on applying to university in the spring (2021). I will probably continue in the same field and get an IT Engineer's degree. I'm currently learning programming (online). I've started keeping a cigar log with a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet and at the moment I have 32 cigars. I highly recommend doing a cigar log with a spreadsheet or something. You can see how many you have, how old they are (purchase date and/or box code if it's a box or you happen to know), what you have, etc.

My collection is very modest but it will be growing in the coming months and years, that's for sure. I've been smoking for 5 years but I only recently figured out how to maintain a humidor in a cost-effective and easy way. So now that I have 2 functional humidors (tupperdor+wooden) that I keep at stable conditions, I can actually store cigars long-term with ease. The plan is to stock up and buy some boxes (+singles) in order to accumulate a nice collection.

Also a tech guy, a few of us here it seems. We're always for your data guys ( RDBMS, data engineering, data science, SaaS apps and even Oracle guys, maybe...)

Inventory-wise more than I'll ever be able to smoke in my lifetime unless I am close to immortal.

16 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

Also a tech guy, a few of us here it seems. We're always hiring at snowflake.com for your data guys ( RDBMS, data engineering, data science, SaaS apps and even Oracle guys, maybe...)

Inventory-wise more than I'll ever be able to smoke in my lifetime unless I am close to immortal.

I have to learn snowflake.  Do you do online classes in exchange for cigars :)

6 hours ago, Monterey said:

I have to learn snowflake.  Do you do online classes in exchange for cigars :)

There's this. No charge. Glad to tutor for smokes!