Trevor2118

Cuban Cigar Website Update

Recommended Posts

I don't warrant any thanks whatsoever. The folks involved with this other site do if their intentions are honest. I really haven't the foggiest on how these sites work, I just tend to fluke into finding stuff :blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way to go Rye! Hope this helps. That must have frustrated Trevor and the others to no end.

Years of legendary work!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Yes, it certainly is. I'd say last updated in early-mid 2016? Only the most current 2016 releases are missing like the Edmundo Dantes Belicoso. Hopefully this is all they need to get 99.9% of the info recovered. The last 12 months would be a piece of cake. This may be a great stroke of luck.

Thanks, Rye.

Still hard to believe for me that the CCW host doesn't do backups, and that stuff indeed CAN get lost. Shouldn't. Happen.

It won't be a sabotage act from anti-smoking activists?! :huh:

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Still hard to believe for me that the CCW host doesn't do backups, and that stuff indeed CAN get lost. Shouldn't. Happen.

It won't be a sabotage act from anti-smoking activists?! :huh:

Absolutely should not happen. Shoot, even if the data center would burn to the ground... good safe guards would ensure no loss.

If there is any question that adequate safe guards are not in place... then move site asap

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fugu said:

Still hard to believe for me that the CCW host doesn't do backups, and that stuff indeed CAN get lost. Shouldn't. Happen.

It won't be a sabotage act from anti-smoking activists?! :huh:

Im certain they had backups of some sort. But everybody seems to be forgetting the cost of hosting and regularly backing up a website. Ive never given money to or seen an ad on the site. Somebody is still footing the bill for that backend. Im sure that (just like the rest of us) they had options for quadruple redundancy, regular analogue tape backups stored off site, daily monitoring and guarantees from the hosting company. But since CCW isnt a company, with regualr income, the cost to implement that level of backup is absurd. 

Maybe all the huge fans of the site(me included) can buy one less 5 pack next year and pass that $ along to the guys at CCW to help ensure this doesnt happen again. Free or paid, its the best source Ive ever seen for this info. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Ive never given money to or seen an ad on the site.

That is a great point.  They have a donate button on the site.  I don't know if it was always there or if they added it in the past couple years.  But I recall someone mentioned it within the last couple years and asked for help maintaining it's free and advertisement free service.

Even a modest contribution goes a long way if enough people do it.

I see that the contribution link is on the static page that rye linked to.  Can Alex or Trevor confirm that money to the link on the static will get to the right hands?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, topdiesel said:

That is a great point.  They have a donate button on the site.  I don't know if it was always there or if they added it in the past couple years.  But I recall someone mentioned it within the last couple years and asked for help maintaining it's free and advertisement free service.

Even a modest contribution goes a long way if enough people do it.

I see that the contribution link is on the static page that rye linked to.  Can Alex or Trevor confirm that money to the link on the static will get to the right hands?

If I am not wrong when John interviwed Trevor or Alex he said that the contribution was small but important. I think just them have access to the money/site.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, oliverdst said:

If I am not wrong when John interviwed Trevor or Alex he said that the contribution was small but important. I think just them have access to the money/site.

Thanks for responding, but I am just not sure how to contribute now.  If there is a way to do so before they get back up and running I will.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, topdiesel said:

Thanks for responding, but I am just not sure how to contribute now.  If there is a way to do so before they get back up and running I will.

Now I understand. 

Dont know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Im certain they had backups of some sort. But everybody seems to be forgetting the cost of hosting and regularly backing up a website. Ive never given money to or seen an ad on the site. Somebody is still footing the bill for that backend. Im sure that (just like the rest of us) they had options for quadruple redundancy, regular analogue tape backups stored off site, daily monitoring and guarantees from the hosting company. But since CCW isnt a company, with regualr income, the cost to implement that level of backup is absurd. 

Ok, we don't actually know and better shouldn't speculate on what actually happened (difficult enough as the situation is right now for Trevor and Alex). But a basic level of data safety I should be able to expect as a customer/user, irrelevant of the tariff I am paying. Not being confronted with the risk of data loss should go without saying. That's the absolute minum prerequisite for a working business concept of any web-hosting provider out there. Cost or price-model is a non-acceptable excuse. I will call that a shitty business that is arguing with cost and pricing and otherwise giving it a shrug.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Im certain they had backups of some sort. But everybody seems to be forgetting the cost of hosting and regularly backing up a website. Ive never given money to or seen an ad on the site. Somebody is still footing the bill for that backend. Im sure that (just like the rest of us) they had options for quadruple redundancy, regular analogue tape backups stored off site, daily monitoring and guarantees from the hosting company. But since CCW isnt a company, with regualr income, the cost to implement that level of backup is absurd. 

Maybe all the huge fans of the site(me included) can buy one less 5 pack next year and pass that $ along to the guys at CCW to help ensure this doesnt happen again. Free or paid, its the best source Ive ever seen for this info. 

Given the site doesn't change too often, backups would be easy to maintain. I've mirrored a copy of the site in the past for use on my tablet. It's not very big.   As someone who was in the data center/hosting business.  This kind of an outage is brutal.  Even our most basic clients were given very affordable backup solutions if they chose our "bronze/silver/gold"  fully managed offerings.  If they chose to go their own route, we'd swap tapes/CD's/DVD's for them.  Whatever happened here must have been scandalous and a complete lack of due diligence on the part of the provider.  Maybe we should be donating to the site and to hosting mirrors in different parts of the world and put in place some simple load balancing? If that is something Alex or Trevor want to contemplate, I'd lend a hand. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MaxG said:

Here's an archive link I found on another site.  Using the arrows at the top, you can pick a date.  Looks like the last copy was Nov 28.

https://web.archive.org/web/20161128095326/http://cubancigarwebsite.com/default.aspx

- MG

 

Excellent! :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MaxG said:

Here's an archive link I found on another site.  Using the arrows at the top, you can pick a date.  Looks like the last copy was Nov 28.

 

https://web.archive.org/web/20161128095326/http://cubancigarwebsite.com/default.aspx

Looks like the mirror link http://cubancigarwebsite.greatcanadiancigarheist.com/default.html  that's up now with the note about Alex (thank you to whomever is hosting this right now!) is slightly more current than the above link from MaxG. I'll also be donating to help assist in the resurrection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alex thanks for the update and sorry the recovery isn't possible, I'm glad to hear the resolve in your words and feel positive that CCW will rise again.

I do recall when Trevor was first bringing the site to life on FOH and as has been stated, there is no other more definitive resource for Cuban Cigars information.

Keep the spirits up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@ATGroom.  Alex, I have a 300MB flat file mirror from June 2016. LMK if you need that uploaded somewhere to at least get a start.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I assume the back end was either sql server or oracle. There are companies that specialize in fixing corrupted db files or recovery of data from them... as well as servers. I would continue to follow up... that in fact all has been done... as i doubt it. You and many others have suffered a huge financial loss.  I think they are weighing their efforts against cost... and will not exhaust all efforts unless threat of being sued

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ATGroom said:

 

Many of you have contacted me offering donations: unfortunately, this is not a problem that money can fix (believe me, I’ve tried). I was trying to get some scratch together for professional camera setup with a hope to someday doing a print version of CCW, so you can donate towards that if you like. The PayPal link is https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=7LAS5ZQPPJAYJ

 

Hi mate just donated $50 to help you get back up and running. Thanks for the hard work for the community's benefit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ATGroom said:

May all your smoke rings be round

Ditto, Alex!

Many thanks for taking the time explaining it. Unbelievable, that's a real bummer!

Keep your spirit up, and do let the community know if we can be of any help besides donations.

Cheers,

Goo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donated as well.  Use it for whatever you want.  Buy beer if that will help.  I'm of course disappointed in the loss of an invaluable resource, but more so I'm absolutely gutted for Alex and Trevor to have poured so much labor into this, only to have it taken away under the worst of circumstances.  I'm sure you both have an idea of how much your efforts mean to the community.  It's great to hear that you're planning to rebuild at some point, although I think everyone would certainly understand if that's too much to ask.  Godspeed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I cant believe this could happen nowadays.

The company lost everything? Not only CCW is down? Somehow these guys must be sued. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Donated. Thank you to Trevor and Alex for your incredible effort, I can only hope that you can rebuild it.

And to Dicko, thanks for kicking the donations off and leading the charge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.