Your Favourite Cuban Cities other than Havana?

Your Favourite Cuban Cities other than Havana?

Would love to hear about your travels outside of Havana (and Pinar del Rio :D). 

Your favourite cities? What is it about them that you enjoy and/or things that you don't. 

The cities or places outside of the well trodden that you would highly recommend...and the ones you would strongly recommend against :thumbsup:

We loved Trinidad. Beautiful old town. Years ago now but remember going to a club in a huge, dilapidated old building filled with local youth. Lots of fun.

There was also some sort of street festival going on with music and dancing up the stone streets. Didn't seem like it was a tourist thing (there were very few tourists around when we were there), which made it all the more special.

Must convince the wife to go back...

• Like 1

Yes, Trinidad is very nice. Plenty of good Casa Particulares in formerly grand old homes. Friendly and low hassle. 10 km from ok beaches. And only a few hours drive from Havana. 

But I like the eastern end of the island. It is wilder. 

Baracoa on the far eastern tip of the island, separated from the rest of the island by a mountain range is another world. 

I once spent a hilarious evening in Guatanamo drinking with a Cuban ex intelligence officer. 

And if you want to experience real first class Cuban husslers there is no place to rival the home of the revolution - Santiago de Cuba. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mycroft said:

I once spent a hilarious evening in Guatanamo drinking with a Cuban ex intelligence officer. 

Would have loved to have been a fly on the wall for that.

Great thread idea Prez!  

[eating popcorn] ?

can't say a favorite, but Matanzas was a nice 3-day change from Havana.  known as the "city of bridges" with underground rivers, caves.  this was home base for a scuba trip to the bay of pigs.

i suspect most just pass through on their way to Varadero, but the easy city pace was welcoming.

i'll find my way to Santiago at some point.