Coolidor for Backup Storage

oh the opinions to ensue.. I've been using Coolidor for *primary* storage for over a decade.

My Setup (works great and darn near maintenance free)

• 65% Heartfelt Humidibeads (1lb) - Tip: I run my RH in the 59-61 range so I run the beads a little low on water. 
  • A small battery operated fan to circulate air periodically. 

Close the door and forget about it for a month (or 3)

Optionally I also have Oregon Scientific Hygrometers in my Coolidors (with a remote station in my bedroom) so I glance at the RH daily and know when to recharge.

This is exactly what I have and includes the sensors so I can monitor multiple Coolidors at a glance.

Oregon Scientific RAR502A/BOX Multi Zone Weather Station Bundle with All Three Sensors Included

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ethernut said:

oh the opinions to ensue.. I've been using Coolidor for *primary* storage for over a decade.

• 65% Heartfelt Humidibeads (1lb) - Tip: I run my RH in the 59-61 range so I run the beads a little low on water. 

Optionally I also have Oregon Scientific Hygrometers in my Coolidors (with a remote station in my bedroom) so I glance at the RH daily and know when to recharge.

Thanks. My coolidor will have SensorPush wireless thermometer/hygrometer, Boveda 320 gram pack like my wineador project.

P.S. Do you use coolidor vertically or horizontally?

2 minutes ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

Thanks. My coolidor will have SensorPush wireless thermometer/hygrometer, Boveda 320 gram pack like my wineador project.

P.S. Do you use coolidor vertically or horizontally?

I update my original post with the Oregon Scientific sensors I use.

I use it vertically (but it doesn't matter really). I love the beads instead of Boveda because you can recharge them. Have had the same beads for over a decade as well.. pretty cheap considering. Good luck mate!

10 minutes ago, Ethernut said:

I update my original post with the Oregon Scientific sensors I use.

I use it vertically. I love the beads instead of Boveda because you can recharge them. Have had the same beads for over a decade as well.. pretty cheap considering. Good lock mate!

Got it. Oh, I have just forgot to say that my wineador can store more than 250+ cigars (going to use drawers instead of shelves as I prefer to store loose cigars rather than boxes) so I would like to know the best coolidor model for that ^_^.

P.S. If you use wireless hygrometer, I would recommend SensorPush Wireless Thermometer/Hygrometer as it is not only small but also performs well like other digital hygrometers.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

Got it. Oh, I have just forgot to say that my wineador can store more than 250+ cigars so I would like to know the best coolidor model for that ^_^.

My simple answer, is, the biggest you can afford. *blush* I Think I have over 1000 cigars in one of my Coolers. Just find one that has a nice tight lid that closes and theres no rocket science beyond that. They're often cheapest at warehouse stores like Costco/Sams.

• Like 1

...Biggest you can afford because it'll likely become semi permanent to permanent, then you'll fill it up (like the wineador) then you'll need something bigger.. 

Oh gawd the credit card!!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Ethernut said:

My simple answer, is, the biggest you can afford. *blush* I Think I have over 1000 cigars in one of my Coolers. Just find one what has a nice tight lid that closes and theres no rocket science beyond that. They're often cheapest at warehouse stores like Costco/Sams.

8 minutes ago, Ethernut said:

...Biggest you can afford because it'll likely become semi permanent to permanent, then you'll fill it up (like the wineador) then you'll need something bigger.. 

Oh gawd the credit card!!!

I see. I will search cheap coolidors such as Coleman and ask help to local B&M for making drawers, etc (in Korea, coolidor and wineador are not popular yet so I really need a help from local cigar experts and members of FOH).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, backbone said:

X2 Ether!!! 

I think the coolidor is the black ops of the cigar world.

"What honey? This cooler is for hurricane preperations only.  Do not open"  bwahahaha

As I've gotten older I dont really like having to work hard to make my things do stuff. So Coolidor is perfect and I dont have to replace it when it dies! :)

Hey dont forget about the 7 ft tall 4ft wide wall unit that is stuffed!@irratebass

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Agree with Topdiesel

17 minutes ago, Dijit said:

Hey dont forget about the 7 ft tall 4ft wide wall unit that is stuffed!@irratebass

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Don't get me started on this thing right now

• Like 1

agree with everything posted here. I did not buy shelves... just use empty boxes, some I leave the top off.  I have a nice desktop that holds 250.  I use the cooler for box storage. at one time my plan was to convert a wine fridge.  Cooler was so terrific, I never needed to.  Its been at least 2.5 to 3 years.

21 hours ago, Hutch said:

If just to be used during seasoning of the wineador, put cigars in cooler, close lid...done.

20 hours ago, topdiesel said:

Don't waste your time building drawers for a cooler, unless you really want a project.  Since you prefer to store them loose, I would just buy a couple to a half dozen of these.

https://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Cedar-Tray-HUMI-TRAY-Cigar/dp/B00B9234HE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481821597&sr=8-1&keywords=spanish+cedar+tray

19 hours ago, Guyman1966 said:

agree with everything posted here. I did not buy shelves... just use empty boxes, some I leave the top off.  I have a nice desktop that holds 250.  I use the cooler for box storage. at one time my plan was to convert a wine fridge.  Cooler was so terrific, I never needed to.  Its been at least 2.5 to 3 years.

Hmm... I might add Spanish cedar trays for loose cigars instead of drawers as you suggested (of course, I will definitely remove plastic smell as soon as I get coolidor). It will be something like this.

P.S. What is the best coleman coolidor for my purpose?

21 hours ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

Hmm... I might add Spanish cedar trays for loose cigars instead of drawers as you suggested (of course, I will definitely remove plastic smell as soon as I get coolidor). It will be something like this.

P.S. What is the best coleman coolidor for my purpose?

I go even cheaper and get the 60 quart Ziplock Weathershield containers. They have a decent seal and only cost $16 at Walmart. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bohn007 said:

I go even cheaper and get the 60 quart Ziplock Weathershield containers. They have a decent seal and only cost $16 at Walmart. 

Same.  I'm up to 3 of the 60 quart and one smaller one.  Don't know waht I was thinking when I got a smaller one, go big or go home! haha

by the way, i found the best way to remove oder was to purchase a small bag of regular charcoal bricks for bbq's.  Not the match light, just the regular plane old bricks. There is no need to open the bag, just place the closed bag inside the cooler.  In a day or two the oder will be gone.

• Like 1

I decide to use Coleman Xtreme 52 Quart Cooler with custom Spanish Cedar trays as you suggested.

by the way, i found the best way to remove oder was to purchase a small bag of regular charcoal bricks for bbq's.  Not the match light, just the regular plane old bricks. There is no need to open the bag, just place the closed bag inside the cooler.  In a day or two the oder will be gone.

Can you show me an actual image of a small bag of regular charcoal bricks for BBQ? I have not ever seen or heard that kind of wall in my life.

This is exactly what I have and includes the sensors so I can monitor multiple Coolidors at a glance.

Oregon Scientific RAR502A/BOX Multi Zone Weather Station Bundle with All Three Sensors Included

This is pretty much it exactly for me. Love the Heartfelt beads. Never used the hygrometers listed but if they work, they work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

" userid="649"] Just saw this in an antique/junk shop near my house....wondering if anyone does something like this or if you just have the coolidors stacked to the ceiling!?

IMG_0286.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

That is a 10 box solution if ever I saw one.

Thunder & Lightening '76-'15

• Like 1