AND THE WINNER IS.....

And the winner is…

My apologies that this has been dragged out but as I have said, I did a piece on it for a mag and so I could not, in fairness, pre-empt that.

And I'm told, ‘no photos’, it doesn’t count. The problem with that is that the place has a ‘no photos’ policy. So, there is one from outside and nothing more.

The place is Trillby & Chadwick, up a small cobblestoned lane heading away from the harbour in Helsinki. http://www.trillbychadwick.fi/

The place is a trip in time back to the old speak-easies. You go in the nondescript doors, into a phone booth-sized room with an antique phone. Wind it up and ring and a slot opens in what was a well disguised door. They decide if you are coming in or not. If allowed in, there are rules. No table hopping, no pics and you must leave out the back door via another lane. The place is dark, the bartenders are exceptionally competent, the music is terrific (and no, not Bruce). It is like stepping into the pages of a Raymond Chandler novel. There are all sorts of stories and diaries. Great fun.

It is an absolute tribute to gin. All manner of gins and great gin cocktails. But plenty more. Not much for wine but a selection of top Pol Roger champers. Lots of other great cocktails and they all have a back story. There are also plenty of “past” and “future” classics. A fave was the “A Spear, to Strike Them Down” which is a mix of Zacapa, almonds, egg whites, caramel, Amara, lemons and bitters.

So much fun.

And there we have it – BEST BAR EVER.

DSCF0135.JPG

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SenorPerfecto said:

Sounds fun. Smoking?

i said best. i didn't say perfect. sadly.

1 hour ago, khomeinist said:

A simulacrum of an American speakeasy as best bar. Ken. To quote a simulacrum of an American politician:

You're Fired. 

:jester:

take it leave it. but not sure it can simply be dismissed because of what it is.

19 minutes ago, RijkdeGooier said:

No smoking means it's out for me.

tragically, that is likely to mean vast swathes of the good establishments on the planet will be out for you.

had one been able to enjoy a cigar, this place would indeed have been perfect.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

tragically, that is likely to mean vast swathes of the good establishments on the planet will be out for you.

had one been able to enjoy a cigar, this place would indeed have been perfect.

Ken,

You are absolutely correct. 

In my defense though there are many many private clubs throughout the world that do let you smoke cigars. 

Last week I had a wonderful Cohiba CE Selecion 2003 with a glass Santiago 500 at my friends Cohiba Atmosphere in Antwerp while we admired the Cohiba 50 humidor and I had a private chat with the project manager Maria. 

As a cigar aficionado it doesn't get much better than that.

However, suum cuique.

I do enjoy your travel reports?

IMG_4097.JPG

IMG_4100.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, RijkdeGooier said:

Ken,

You are absolutely correct. 

In my defense though there are many many private clubs throughout the world that do let you smoke cigars. 

Last week I had a wonderful Cohiba CE Selecion 2003 with a glass Santiago 500 at my friends Cohiba Atmosphere in Antwerp while we admired the Cohiba 50 humidor and I had a private chat with the project manager Maria. 

As a cigar aficionado it doesn't get much better than that.

However, suum cuique.

I do enjoy your travel reports?

IMG_4097.JPG

IMG_4100.JPG

ta. is that from the box of 30 cohibas from 2002 and 2003?

i had two of them but rob's dodgy humidor destroyed one. cruel. the other remains to open.