Any Canadian whiskey fans here?

BellevilleMXZ

I tried a ew a few years ago called 40 creeks it was ok but I am.not a whisky fan. This year they came out with their opper pot still version and now I am a fan. All the other whiskies to me the sour is overpowering. 40 creeks copper pot still is different in that the sour is balanced with the other flavors.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Lot 40 was my go to whiskey this past year, not to mention the cost is incredible. After I couldn't get my hands on that terrible Northern Harvest, I went for Lot 40 and was blown away. There are a lot of hidden gems in the CDN whiskey/rye landscape. I also tried Collingwood on the advice of a friend, and it was ok, nothing great. There are some age statement bottles I want to try but my cabinet is full. 30-40 bottles and I just added Lagavulin 8 to the mix...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jazzboypro said:

Not only it's not special but it is by far the worse thing i have drank so far.

I have 4 bottles that I can't even give away because it is so terrible. There were shortages of the crap after it won the award, and I told friends and family that I was on the hunt for it because it won the award, and was reasonably priced (so I thought). Right before Christmas last year I found a bottle. Friends and family also found bottles, and by the time christmas was over, I had 3 new bottles + the bottle I bought.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, morganti said:

I have 4 bottles that I can't even give away because it is so terrible. There were shortages of the crap after it won the award, and I told friends and family that I was on the hunt for it because it won the award, and was reasonably priced (so I thought). Right before Christmas last year I found a bottle. Friends and family also found bottles, and by the time christmas was over, I had 3 new bottles + the bottle I bought.

Yeah I guess that's what happens when we buy on "awards" ......I won't buy anything based on his ratings again. That said, Lot 40 was highly rated, and is quite good. I really like reading through the recommendations on here.

• 1 month later...
On 24/12/2016 at 4:43 PM, jazzboypro said:

I bought a bottle of Crown Royal Northern Harvest a few weeks ago. Never again.

I bought a bottle of Crown Royal about 10 years ago.  Only a couple of drinks out of it as I wanted to be sure of what I tasted.

Unequivocally the worst whisky I have ever tasted.

In my opinion the naming of Crown Royal Northern Harvest as whiskey of the year did more damage to the reputation of Canadian whiskey than improve it. There are much better products out there. On the bright side this will keep what actually is good affordable and I can be happy about that. 

• Like 1

J P Wisers Last barrels. I  am really enjoying it right know. More like a Bourbon then a typical Canadian Whisky. It aged 14 years. The mash used 80% corn, 11% Rye and  9% Barley. Apparently it was going to be used in a blend but they found it was excellent on its own. I believe it is bottled at 43% APV. If you can find it give it a try.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JohnnyC said:

J P Wisers Last barrels. I  am really enjoying it right know. More like a Bourbon then a typical Canadian Whisky. It aged 14 years. The mash used 80% corn, 11% Rye and  9% Barley. Apparently it was going to be used in a blend but they found it was excellent on its own. I believe it is bottled at 43% APV. If you can find it give it a try.

Thanks! I see they have some local, so I'll grab some.

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:21 AM, JohnnyC said:

Grabbed a bottle today....very good! Thanks!

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 11:21 AM, JohnnyC said:

Ok just had a nice drink of this, VERY good, thanks again! I would say Lot 40 and this are my top 2 right now.

wisers.jpg

• 2 weeks later...