Long ashes...how!?!?

Okay, silly question but I have to know. How in the hell are some of these people getting an ash as long as the original cigar? I see these pictures of cigar ashes, intact and the full length of the original cigar. To top it off the cigars are sitting upright on the ash. 

Is it fake? Is it photoshop? Some strange ancient Egyptian smoking technique? Or perhaps an unfurled paper clip inserted into the cigar before smoking...

i have to know.

IMG_4337.JPG

My understanding is that one trick some people use to get an "unnaturally" long ash is to hold the cigar either upright (ie, foot to the sky) or the opposite as you've shown w that Sig VI GR (ie, foot to the floor) and keeping it that way as the thing smokes. By not holding the ash parallel to the floor you give it more chance of not "breaking". I believe most "naturally long" pics you see here on the forum (eg, Matt's Monte) are simply good construction, a thicker ring gauge helps, and an expert touch. That GR, even being about as solidly constructed as a cigar can be, likely had some help by being held in that exact position as it was smoked would be my guess. 

My significant other is from Santiago DR and her Instagram is always full of pictures of guys showing off the quality of their Dominican cigars with abnormally long ash, to which I usually roll my eyes. 

• Like 1

I don't think it's a good thing necessarily...right? I mean a little ash is fine but I feel it has an effect on draw and potentially flavor as your smoking through all that ash?

I'll give you that it looks like a fun thing to try...once.

Let me know if I'm missing something here...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Jimmy_jack That guys ashes are definitely real.  He has a website, and I've read interviews with him talking about his long ashes.  There are also several videos hes posted to prove it.  The cigar is still smoking and burning and he'll crack off the ash in one solid chunk.  I think half of it is a perfectly constructed cigar, and half of it is experience.  Although I also imagine a big part of this experience has helped his ability to pick out a cigar that has the potential for long ash...

• Like 1

It is not fun for me.  I prefer to relax while I smoke and that requires way too much attention and focus.  

But the first pointer would be great construction and not a skinny cigar.

Next is to do it indoors so there is no breeze or wind.

hold cigar vertical. 

Wear Glasses.

have ice, beer or pain medicine for your neck.

• Like 1

Decent ash on a Bolivar CG, when I am at home I generally try to hold the ash if I can. I don't believe it detracts from the flavor, maybe the opposite. Drives my girlfriend nuts when I drop ash on the floor but generally I know the timing. 

IMG_4743.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Haters might say Why? Why even bother? Just tap it off when it's ready, rather than wear the ash or post some vulgar "look at me!" photo. ;)

2 minutes ago, magste said:

Historically, it is said Winston Churchill used to stick a needle into his cigar to keep the ash long to throw opponents off guard. His guests got so focussed on when the ash would fall off they forgot to argue their point.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

If true, that's some weak minded guests.   In the modern boardroom, the clothing of some female "sales/marketing" people is a lot more distracting.