Tubo vs Non Ratings

When reading discussion here or the reviews on CigarAfficionado.com I always see different opinions/reviews of the same cigar but Tubo vs. non tube.

Are they really changing the blend? I naively maybe always figured they were just putting the cigars that were just a tad bit uglier in the tube.  I remember saying that at a LCDH and was assured that that was not the case.

So what's the difference? Why not just make Royal Corona's and put some of them in tubes and be done with it? Different factory maybe? 

Thanks for any input. Just wondering and would love to hear your thoughts.

• Like 2

I am interested to see the more experienced smokers' inputs! My guess is over time they age differently due to different levels of available oxygen. Tubes age slower due to lower O2 contact, then cabinets, then dress boxes as O2 contact increases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

This is a topic that comes up on our forum from time to time. My feelings on the matter is that it's not definitive, this is something that one should delve into themselves for an answer that works best for them, rather than go wholly go off the opinions of others.

However, here's some links to some great threads for further reading (and reflecting!)...

Also, have a check of Simon Chase's recent great historic article on the aluminium tubo for Cigar Journal...

http://www.cigarjournal.co/read-the-story-behind-aluminium-cigar-tubes/

Who would have thought that 40% of all UK Habano sales last year were tubos?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnS said:

This is a topic that comes up on our forum from time to time. My feelings on the matter is that it's not definitive, this is something that one should delve into themselves for an answer that works best for them, rather than go wholly go off the opinions of others.

I realize I asked question incorrectly and I agree I really don't want anyone's opinions on this. I am more wondering if there is any definitive reason or explanation given by HSA or someone on record from "the inside". I guess not!

This survey by El Presidente def surprised me.

Time to go buy some Tubes!:rotfl:!

Snip20161227_3.png

32 minutes ago, SaintMickey® said:

I realize I asked question incorrectly and I agree I really don't want anyone's opinions on this. I am more wondering if there is any definitive reason or explanation given by HSA or someone on record from "the inside". I guess not!

Not at all. I didn't intend my response as a chastisement. After all, if we don't ask questions, how do you get answers? There are a number of topics in regards to how Habanos S.A goes about its business which is kept confidential, but don't we have fun speculating about these things on our forum? Sometimes they just make no sense (to us who are cigar enthusiasts), as in discontinuations, whereas as other times they do, as when supply is limited on a marca for a time to protect quality of supply.

In regards to this topic, I remember reading how fond Min Ron Nee was of aging cigars in tubos in his 2003 edition, 'Illustrated Encyclopaedia of Havana Post Revolution Cigars'. However, I was especially interested in Adriano Martinez Rius' entries in that reference book, especially as he was an insider in the Cuban Tobacco industry, and I don't recall him mentioning anything specifically on the topic one way or the other (although he did mention many other helpful points of fact throughout that book).

• Like 2

From what I have read, heard and experienced in the last 20 years smoking Cuban cigars there has never been a consistently perceptible difference between tubed and non-tubed versions of the same model for almost all of that time (and also MRN has nothing to say about it). I compare this to the difference between cabinet and dress box versions of the same cigar which did have a wide consensus of difference in blend and/or strength in many models despite HSA/Cubatabaco never officially acknowledging it.

I say of the same model because I believe there is a difference between some vitolas that are not the identical model in some cases. The example that comes to mind is the Boli Tubos No. 2. This cigar is a Marevas--identical in vitola to the Boli PC. However, it is not the same model--in other words, it is not a PC in tubes. It is its own model--the Tubos No. 2. And I do believe that recent production Boli Tubos Nos. 1, 2 and 3 have a slightly different blend than the PC, CJ or RC in that they are a bit stronger and earthier.

Again, this wouldn't apply to a HU Mag 46 Tubos or a CORO, for example. It is the identical model as the Mag 46 or CORO in cabinet. The Monte Petit Tubos, however, would be like the Bolivar Tubos No 2--an entirely different model even though it is a Marevas and the same vitola as the Monte 4. Interestingly, unlike the Boli Tubos No 2, I have never personally detected any blend difference between the Monte PT and the Monte 4.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Fumadoro said:

I am interested to see the more experienced smokers' inputs! My guess is over time they age differently due to different levels of available oxygen. Tubes age slower due to lower O2 contact, then cabinets, then dress boxes as O2 contact increases.

This is correct--all packaging formats influence aging differently. Tubes are considered better for long-term aging, however they aren't ideal as there's no cigar-to-cigar contact in a tube. FWIW, there's a fair degree of consensus that the very best packaging format for long-term aging is a varnished 8-9-8 box. 

However, the OP was asking about blend differences in the same model between tubed and non-tubed and as I stated in the above post, I don't personally believe there is any. Tubed versions of the same model simply represent a packaging alternative--and one that I happen to like. The convenience of tubes is quite appreciated, although they do come with a price premium. And again, some desire the aging properties of tubes vs. cabs or DBs as even cabs are a bit overrated in terms of aging properties, not being as airtight as they appear.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
From what I have read, heard and experienced in the last 20 years smoking Cuban cigars there has never been a consistently perceptible difference between tubed and non-tubed versions of the same model for almost all of that time (and also MRN has nothing to say about it). I compare this to the difference between cabinet and dress box versions of the same cigar which did have a wide consensus of difference in blend and/or strength in many models despite HSA/Cubatabaco never officially acknowledging it.

I say of the same model because I believe there is a difference between some vitolas that are not the identical model in some cases. The example that comes to mind is the Boli Tubos No. 2. This cigar is a Marevas--identical in vitola to the Boli PC. However, it is not the same model--in other words, it is not a PC in tubes. It is its own model--the Tubos No. 2. And I do believe that recent production Boli Tubos Nos. 1, 2 and 3 have a slightly different blend than the PC, CJ or RC in that they are a bit stronger and earthier.

Again, this wouldn't apply to a HU Mag 46 Tubos or a CORO, for example. It is the identical model as the Mag 46 or CORO in cabinet. The Monte Petit Tubos, however, would be like the Bolivar Tubos No 2--an entirely different model even though it is a Marevas and the same vitola as the Monte 4. Interestingly, unlike the Boli Tubos No 2, I have never personally detected any blend difference between the Monte PT and the Monte 4.

I finally read this correctly...it would be interesting to know if some people are huge Boli Tunis No 2 fans but don't really appreciate/like Boli PC.

I personally am a big Bolivar fan and always have some PC around I'm going to go hunt some Tubos No 2 as well!!!

3 hours ago, SaintMickey® said:

I finally read this correctly...it would be interesting to know if some people are huge Boli Tunis No 2 fans but don't really appreciate/like Boli PC.

I personally am a big Bolivar fan and always have some PC around I'm going to go hunt some Tubos No 2 as well!!!

I prefer the Tubos No 2 to the PC, at least 14-16 production. I have some Tubos No 1s on the way as I haven't had any recently and I kept kicking myself as I do love Coronas--and a Boli Corona is just too good to pass up! The Tubos No 3 is a very small cigar--a bit too small to justify the price for me. But the few I had last year were very good.

2 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I prefer the Tubos No 2 to the PC, at least 14-16 production. I have some Tubos No 1s on the way as I haven't had any recently and I kept kicking myself as I do love Coronas--and a Boli Corona is just too good to pass up! The Tubos No 3 is a very small cigar--a bit too small to justify the price for me. But the few I had last year were very good.

That is a great point I might research some No 1's. I am not good with PC's although I have BPC,Monte4's and RASCC around all the time but I will always always smoke another cigar after one of these. It's never enough no matter how much flavor. I am not one who has a "fast smoke" or in the car or morning smoke. When I've decided to smoke I am stationary for quit awhile...

6 hours ago, SaintMickey® said:

That is a great point I might research some No 1's. I am not good with PC's although I have BPC,Monte4's and RASCC around all the time but I will always always smoke another cigar after one of these. It's never enough no matter how much flavor. I am not one who has a "fast smoke" or in the car or morning smoke. When I've decided to smoke I am stationary for quit awhile...

Feel the same way.

A good Marevas is just too short and a Minutos ends right when I start enjoying it. My favorite vitolas are Corona, Lonsdale, Laguito No 2 and my all-time favorite was the 44 RG Franciscos only found in the Boli CE in the modern era. I do like the Coloniales vitola (although not a big Trini smoker) and can deal with a Coronas Gordas but I find 46 RG to be just a tad over ideal. All my favorite vitolas are rare birds these days...:(

I'll let you know how the Boli Tubos No 1 are.

5 hours ago, SaintMickey® said:

I love Bolivar but never had a #2.  They are on my short list to buy.

- MG

18 hours ago, SaintMickey® said:

The bolivar #2 has always been and will likely always be my favorite and most consistent go to cigar.  It does have a different flavor than the pc.  Perhaps the blend is the same as the pc, but the tube and close proximity to the cedar inside the tube affect the flavor.  I would agree with NSX that the tubo #2 seems to have more intensity than a pc.  It is much more like the intensity of a jr right off the bat where a pc starts a little slower.  I almost said smoother instead of intensity, but that would not be correct.  I think the #2 is mighty but smooth with a leathery peppery earthy flavor that I cannot resist.  I smoke these fast and they tolerate the pace well. 

to each their own, but I have gone deep on tubos #2 and all of my boxes have been consistently good with the same flavor profile over the years.  The only Bolivar that I don't have too much luck with is the Royal Coronas.  I love and own every other current production Bolivar, but the #2 is my favorite.

Folks that don't like the Bolivar profile probably won't like the #2.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, topdiesel said:

to each their own, but I have gone deep on tubos #2 and all of my boxes have been consistently good with the same flavor profile over the years.  The only Bolivar that I don't have too much luck with is the Royal Coronas.  I love and own every other current production Bolivar, but the #2 is my favorite.

Folks that don't like the Bolivar profile probably won't like the #2.

Thanks for comment and that is interesting to me. I have never ever met a BRC that I didn't at least like let alone love/enjoy.

I am definitely on the hunt for some B #1 and #2 A/T's!