Boveda bags: Good, Bad, and/or Ugly?

Hey gents, I have been getting ready for a wineador build that I anticipate will take some time, but I wanted to pull the trigger on a couple of boxes and have no room in my desktops. Has anyone had any experience with the large boveda bags that can accommodate a box of sticks? It's going to be either the bags (if they get good reviews) or a coolidor.

Good, bad, ugly.. and perhaps expensive. :-)

Boveda's a great but cant come close to the cost of ownership of beads. I've had the same beads for 10 years, I'm assuming they'll last my lifetime. Post for reference.. Cheers mate!

4 minutes ago, Ethernut said:

Good, bad, ugly.. ya forgot expensive. :-)

Boveda's a great but cant come close to the cost of ownership of beads. I've had the same beads for 10 years, I'm assuming they'll last my lifetime. Post for reference.. Cheers mate!

Pretty sure op is talking about the humidor bags and not the 65 gram ones one would use in a humidor....

http://www.bovedainc.com/store/tobacco/humidor-bags/

They work. I think there would be several advantages to just using a sealable container, like a Ziplock Weathershield, and putting the gel packs in. For $20 or so you'd have much more storage capacity if you end up needing it or to accomodate different sized boxes. You can select the humidity (the bags I believe only come at 69% RH). I'd also think the hard plastic sealed box w the gel packs inside is more fail-safe...though I'd imagine the bags do what they say. I believe the advantage to the bag is more for transporting/travel. I generally travel with big ziplocks and normal Boveda packs and when I buy a box I just throw it in the ziplock w the gel pack. Similar concept. 

1 hour ago, shlomo said:

Pretty sure op is talking about the humidor bags and not the 65 gram ones one would use in a humidor....

http://www.bovedainc.com/store/tobacco/humidor-bags/

Nice catch, and thanks! (bowing out gracefully) ;)

• Like 1

ive used them for a very long time they work but the cost is too expensive unless you have a few small humidors otherwise HF beads all the way

2 hours ago, ElPuro said:

Just a note: The Boveda packs are 100% reusable if you do not let them completely dry out. Just stick then in a zip lock bag with a small bowl of distilled water for a week or so. 

Completely agree. My primary mode of box storage is a coolerdor interspersed with 69% Boveda packs. I have 12 packs total. I keep 9 in the coolerdor, the remaining 3 are rotated out for recharging every few weeks, when the packs start to feel a little "crunchy" (I've even numbered them to keep track of this rotation). I use a Tupperware container and small bowl of crumpled paper towels saturated with distilled water as the recharging source. The system works perfectly for me. 

• Like 1

At $15 for a large bag, which I still believe would only hold a single box, I'd definitely go the cooler route.  You can usually find a marine-rated cooler in the 50 quart range for $30 at Walmart, and those will easily hold 15+ boxes.  Half pound of Heartfelt beads (you'll want them for your wineador anyway) and you're set.  Then once your permanent setup is done, you'll have a spare cooler you can use for keeping drinks and stuff cold overflow cigar storage.  I'm sure the Boveda bags are great, but it seems like a pretty short-sighted plan vs the cooler.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, wabashcr said:

At $15 for a large bag, which I still believe would only hold a single box, I'd definitely go the cooler route.  You can usually find a marine-rated cooler in the 50 quart range for $30 at Walmart, and those will easily hold 15+ boxes.  Half pound of Heartfelt beads (you'll want them for your wineador anyway) and you're set.  Then once your permanent setup is done, you'll have a spare cooler you can use for keeping drinks and stuff cold overflow cigar storage.  I'm sure the Boveda bags are great, but it seems like a pretty short-sighted plan vs the cooler.

Thanks wabashcr, I just ordered a couple of pounds of the heartfelts and plan on picking up a cooler here real shortly. I wonder if people aren't aware that the Boveda humidor bags exist based on many of the replies on this post?

Anyways thanks for your suggestion, I appreciate it!