Started (FINISHED!!) the Icebox Humidor conversion today

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Posted a while back about finding this icebox and thinking it would make a nifty storage unit.  I'll be replacing an end table cab that houses overflow from a "The Redford" temp controlled unit (yes,

Okay, so this project is almost complete!   Pretty jazzed about it too...   Finished lining what I wanted to with cedar. Made door panels that were a rather snug fit for the door openings.  The door p

Final (for now) update: So, the 120v fan I chose to circulate air created a lot of heat....  I put the cab in service in May which is plenty warm here already, and that fan raised the internal te

19 minutes ago, PatrickEwing said:

Is that a car in the background?

Looks like an old one by the fenders and whitewalls....

It's my '37 Plymouth coupe.  Parked for now because I always have too many damned projects going at once.   At 60k original miles it's probably time for an overhaul which I'll do over the summer, but for now if I want to roll some old iron I'm in a '67 F250 with a hopped up big block, or cruising an old VW Beetle my aunt bought new almost five decades ago.  

There's a fair decent snap of that mopar on my profile page.  

38 minutes ago, BuzzArd said:

It's my '37 Plymouth coupe.  Parked for now because I always have too many damned projects going at once.   At 60k original miles it's probably time for an overhaul which I'll do over the summer, but for now if I want to roll some old iron I'm in a '67 F250 with a hopped up big block, or cruising an old VW Beetle my aunt bought new almost five decades ago.  

There's a fair decent snap of that mopar on my profile page.  

Just gave it a look. Awesome! Definitely have some good projects on the go.

This nipple and valve were used to control drain water from ice drippings.  There was quite a bit of gelled goop in addition to an absurd amount of rust.   Valve wouldn't even open. I'll be using the exit underneath for power into the cab, but not sure how I'd incorporate the valve again. I'll clearcoat it and set it aside in case I come up with something....   Planning to turn a new nipple as I really don't need the giant I.D. of this one and want to close as much of this hole as possible. May just go wih a new steel one I'll make from 1.250" stock and drill a 1/4" hole in the center for some jacketed 12 or 14AWG leads.  I'll wire it underneath in a nice j-box and put a good sturdy cord on it.  A single receptacle inside should cover the fan and LED lighting, and my humidification system is run from an exterior control panel and ribbon cable to the cab interior reservoir.

New leg braces ought to be done this am and installed in time for the Tatuaje "rare and exclusive" event this afternoon. 

:thumbsup:

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

A bit more progress this morning.  When I bought the cabinet the valance that covered the water drip tray was (probably swelled) not closing properly.   My son and I addressed the issue this morning.  

image.jpeg

Simply dado'd the back space a bit deeper into the board.  Could have also relocated the hinge screw holes, but that's not as fun as using power tools!!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

It's nice having my son at home. He's having to endure all the learning of tips and tricks and tool useage etc. that my dad "imposed" upon me.  Had a "light bulb" moment today when I taught him how to fix stripped wood screw holes.  For this job I simply slipped in some toothpick material.  But I also mentioned that if it were a more precision job or something that might have any visibility at all we could have drilled and doweled the original holes and started fresh ("oh, that's what dowels are for!").

image.jpeg

Now, we are off to visit my pals Justin and Jarrod DelPrado at DP Custom motorcycles (check 'em out at http://dpcustomcycles.com/home.html for you motorcycle nuts).   They have a break and some scrap sheet steel I can use to bend a perfect plenum for my air circulation scheme.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SaintMickey® said:

Everyman should have one of these...an "air circulation scheme"!

Looking good!

... totally agree! Humidor circulation very important to uniform distribution of heat and water vapor.

Ducted Fans_2016-10-06 07.21.07.jpg

-Piggy

• Like 3

4 hours ago, PigFish said:

... totally agree! Humidor circulation very important to uniform distribution of heat and water vapor.

Ducted Fans_2016-10-06 07.21.07.jpg

-Piggy

Fancy there, Piggy!   Mine Will be a bit more crude. It will, however, get the job done.  These old ice boxes were built to promote circulation over the ice block and through the box, in this case in a clockwise direction.   Cold air down through a 2x14" gap under and off to the side of the ice block, across the bottom, up the left side, through another 2X14" gap back to the right side and then back down over the ice block.  In my case I think I'll reverse the direction and blow air in under the old ice block "grid".   I'll document air flow with a goPro and some tissue paper to see if i was successful once it's all buttoned up.   Just need to TIG a small block on the edge as you can see, and I think it'll be about ready.  Metal edges will be getting a rubber weatherstriping of one kind or another around thr porcelain perimeter; whatever I have laying about from prior projects here at the house ought to do it.  

image.jpeg

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, BuzzArd said:

Fancy there, Piggy!   Mine Will be a bit more crude. It will, however, get the job done.  These old ice boxes were built to promote circulation over the ice block and through the box, in this case in a clockwise direction.   Cold air down through a 2x14" gap under and off to the side of the ice block, across the bottom, up the left side, through another 2X14" gap back to the right side and then back down over the ice block.  In my case I think I'll reverse the direction and blow air in under the old ice block "grid".   I'll document air flow with a goPro and some tissue paper to see if i was successful once it's all buttoned up.   Just need to TIG a small block on the edge as you can see, and I think it'll be about ready.  Metal edges will be getting a rubber weatherstriping of one kind or another around thr porcelain perimeter; whatever I have laying about from prior projects here at the house ought to do it.  

image.jpeg

Getting it done is what is important. Great job mate... Thanks for sharing your build. -P

Now, rest.  Cannot continue w/o a welder. Will have to stop by the shop Wednesday afternoon.   I'll get the little bits 'o rust bead blasted off, lighly coat the new piece with lacquer and get it installed this week, but until then...

I'll smoke. 

image.jpeg

• Like 4

You could try dry ice in water to test your airflow. That's what I am planning to do on my big humidor build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 2