Started (FINISHED!!) the Icebox Humidor conversion today

6 hours ago, Hurltim said:

You could try dry ice in water to test your airflow. That's what I am planning to do on my big humidor build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Brilliant Tim!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Posted a while back about finding this icebox and thinking it would make a nifty storage unit.  I'll be replacing an end table cab that houses overflow from a "The Redford" temp controlled unit (yes,

Okay, so this project is almost complete!   Pretty jazzed about it too...   Finished lining what I wanted to with cedar. Made door panels that were a rather snug fit for the door openings.  The door p

Final (for now) update: So, the 120v fan I chose to circulate air created a lot of heat....  I put the cab in service in May which is plenty warm here already, and that fan raised the internal te

Some progress today.  Blower plenum is complete.  Just need to cut the cord of of one of my wife's appliances when she is not looking to wire it up.

The porcelain door lining was loose as if doors had been slammed too hard, so I decided to pull thrm apart, see what insulation was used, and then put it back together tight and right.  Some kind of straw-like material with heavy felt material and a black plastic looking liner at the outside of this "sandwich".  None of this stuff is going back in except the porcelain.  I've actually toyed with the idea of ditching that and nailing on a Spanish cedar panel in it's place.  Might do that later, but the insulation has to go:. It smells musty. Planning to pop the back of the cab and pull out the inslulation at the back and sides as well. 

At least, that's the plan....

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Porcelain cleaned and dirt and old caulking scraped away, re-nailed in place.  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Humidor has been on hold the past few weeks while I figured out what was up with my aging Accord.....  Priority to keep that on the road. 

But last week I pulled off the top and the bead board back to see if I could remove the interior.   Negative.  This thing is built like a brick sh_t house and weighs as much. So after pulling the old insulation out I'm ready to add a plastic barrier and reinstall the top and back.

Today I managed to sand the rough surface of the galvanized ice containment box.  The dust has a rather musty odor to it as I suspected, so after a thorough sanding and wiping down this will get a clear satin lacquer coating.   I'll also caulk seal the top of the box which is not leaded like the lower seams are to help keep in humidity.  The porcelain surfaces will simply be cleaned with Bar Keeper's Friend and the interior will be complete as far as I'm taking it. 

The door liners are going to be removed. I'll be adding Spanish cedar layers  in their place.  I do need to get some modeler's clay and check the clearance of the door trim to door stops and see how thick The cedar sheet I'll be getting needs to be. Might utilize some 1/4" sheets elsewhere as well.  As soon as I know the clearance I'll head to the lumber yard and get the cedar cut. 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress this weekend and today.   All the metal has been sanded clean of goop, and it's been lacquered as well.  The grate is all cleaned and lacquered.   Ran the ribbon cable for the humidification this morning.  It runs across the ceiling, down the front divider and out the drain hole, and the grate is well clear of it.   I may rethink my electrical routing; if I can keep the wall warts outside it may help reduce internal heat.  Might just plumb the circulation fan inside and run wires for everything else to the ouside and underneath the cabinet....  

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Cedar sourced and panels glued for door lining today. I'll be removing the porcelain currently in place (store it in the attic, likely) and cutting 1/4" thick Spanish cedar replacements.  I'll need to pick up some more cedar to line the metal box, or at least part of it. Also, I think I'll be rewiring as well.  In retrospect it would be really convenient to have the receptacles under the unit accessible with the kick panel rather than putting a receptacle inside the cabinet.  The wiring for the fan and LEDs will fit nicely through the delrin plug I made for the drain hole.

image.thumb.jpeg.10e4ee9cca9388a818c16f45a8a245cb.jpeg

I did a similar project with a 4 door unit and was quite challenging as the unit was only held together with the metal inserts so when they went so did the structure. I had not intended on re- engineering it. Beautiful humidor when finished. You wI'll be happy. 

Haha! You finally found the 1/4"!!! Where did you get it?
I took another look at the Aristocrat humidors and it looks to me like the large interior surfaces are veneer. It makes sense: Gluing up large panels of solid wood is time consuming and a tad difficult.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Hurltim, I had a wood source with a mill cut down some 4/4 for me.  Got two sheets of 1/4" sized 7.5-8" wide and 78" long.  Panels finished yesterday were plenty wide for door lining and some interior as well.  Got started affixing them to the doors.  I hit the edges of the panel backs with spray adhesive and stuck a 1/2mil sheet of plastic to the back of each hopefully to help keep mositure in.  And the panels are fit to the actual door openings for the same reason.  They hang over the door edge quite a bit but will allow a better seal. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 1

I did a similar project with a 4 door unit and was quite challenging as the unit was only held together with the metal inserts so when they went so did the structure. I had not intended on re- engineering it. Beautiful humidor when finished. You wI'll be happy. 

Okay....  Cab is finished save a little bit of cedar lining and some singles trays (another project, I'm sure).  Top's on.  Bead board's back in place.  I'll finish wiring this week and get this thing in service asap.

image.thumb.jpeg.3cfdcd22e630934775b644886447a740.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.b39c3b605e199d0135e2a8d1d25dd99f.jpeg

• Like 2

I did a similar project with a 4 door unit and was quite challenging as the unit was only held together with the metal inserts so when they went so did the structure. I had not intended on re- engineering it. Beautiful humidor when finished. You wI'll be happy.   Sorry this posted twice

• 2 weeks later...