Started (FINISHED!!) the Icebox Humidor conversion today

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Posted a while back about finding this icebox and thinking it would make a nifty storage unit.  I'll be replacing an end table cab that houses overflow from a "The Redford" temp controlled unit (yes,

Okay, so this project is almost complete!   Pretty jazzed about it too...   Finished lining what I wanted to with cedar. Made door panels that were a rather snug fit for the door openings.  The door p

Final (for now) update: So, the 120v fan I chose to circulate air created a lot of heat....  I put the cab in service in May which is plenty warm here already, and that fan raised the internal te

• 8 months later...

As I was reading your update I was saying to myself he needs a timer. Just plug the fans into a timer and have it run intermittently.
And then I kept reading and you found something.
Here is what I use to hook up my CPU fans (very similar to yours)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005WQIDHY/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1516214822&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=timers+for+electrical+outlets&dpPl=1&dpID=415QKTO3DRL&ref=plSrch

Works great. I run my fans for 10 minutes every hour.

Nice set up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As I was reading your update I was saying to myself he needs a timer. Just plug the fans into a timer and have it run intermittently.
And then I kept reading and you found something.
Here is what I use to hook up my CPU fans (very similar to yours)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B005WQIDHY/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1516214822&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=timers+for+electrical+outlets&dpPl=1&dpID=415QKTO3DRL&ref=plSrch

Works great. I run my fans for 10 minutes every hour.

Nice set up!

All the reviews say that timer has only 2 on/off cycles per day. I looked for a timer for a long time, then realized my fans on the low setting do not add any heat. Now I'm just trying to engineer a way to connect my a.c. unit inside my cabinet to turn on/off based on a more accurate thermostat. The current knob on the unit varies from 63 to 68 degrees. Any electrical engineers have any tips on how to go about doing that? I am using the staebell humidifier system, so it would be even cooler to be able to connect it to that unit. Sorry for hijacking the thread, made me think about my own setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

All the reviews say that timer has only 2 on/off cycles per day. I looked for a timer for a long time, then realized my fans on the low setting do not add any heat. Now I'm just trying to engineer a way to connect my a.c. unit inside my cabinet to turn on/off based on a more accurate thermostat. The current knob on the unit varies from 63 to 68 degrees. Any electrical engineers have any tips on how to go about doing that? I am using the staebell humidifier system, so it would be even cooler to be able to connect it to that unit. Sorry for hijacking the thread, made me think about my own setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

No problem. Mine are from that Woods company and look like that. But it has a 20 programable (on/off cycles) settings. So I run it all day on 10 mins every hour. At the end of the day at 10pm I believe it’s off until 12 am. Wish it had like 24 settings. But it’s enough.

Edit

Here this is it. Woods 50008 search amazon.

20 cycles. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006LYHEEY/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1516218672&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=woods+50008+timer&psc=1

• Like 1

Very nice job! Excellent project, lots of character. It looks really awesome.

I was having a similar issue with heat from my fan in my wineador, and I solved it in much the same way. I used two 60mm fans that push 20cfm each, and this little programmable controller with a built-in display. Power comes from this simple 12V converter. I now run the fans at 25% duty, coming on for 30 seconds, and then off for 90 seconds. The fans don't add any measurable heat at this duty, but they are slightly audible so it may be worth looking for quieter fans. I also have a pair of Noctua 40mm fans I could use, which are dead silent, but I think they may be a bit too small so I would have to increase duty. 

• Like 1